PDA

View Full Version : Some gentle criticism for moderators

toupeiro
July 31st, 2007, 04:18 PM
I'll try to keep this short and sweet. On two separate occasions I've been in a round-a-bout way shut up by forum moderators. The first time was in response to a remark I made on a thread that one moderator felt had already been talked about too much and he closed the thread (rather opinionated, if someone didn't want to read it, they simply don't open it) The other was a response I made about the puppy Linux distribution which was not rude or slanderous in any way. I made my comment, saw it posted on the site, subscribed to it so I can follow up on it later, then went to go have a pint and throw some darts with a friend. This morning, my comment on that thread was gone entirely. There was no private message or any comment as to why. I know it was there previously because I read it back to myself as the last comment in the thread to check for spelling before I left that night.

So, moderators, if you have a good reason a comment should be deleted, can you at least let the writer know? In my case, while I did not feel I wrote anything that could be seen as offensive, I would like to know what I am writing that is grounds for deletion. I figured well thought out commentary from someone thats been in the IT industry for ten years would be healthy for the forums. I've enjoyed reading them now for a while, but there are plenty of other technical forums out there. The more you restrict commentary with no basis, the more technically advanced user base you are likely to lose and the more LiNuX PwnZ ******* comments you are likely to be left with.

frodon
July 31st, 2007, 04:23 PM
There was no private message or any comment as to why. I know it was there previously because I read it back to myself as the last comment in the thread to check for spelling before I left that night.
This is not possible if the forum software is working correctly, automatic PM are sent for any mod operation, so in case of post deletion you would have at least received an automatic PM.

What was the thread where you posted ?

toupeiro
July 31st, 2007, 04:28 PM
The name of the thread was puppy Linux: Amazing in the other distro's area. The comment was my opinion of a practical comparison at home and in the workplace between puppy Linux and more well-rounded distributions like Ubuntu.

I would feel much better about it knowing it was a software glitch.

Thank you for your quick response!

frodon
July 31st, 2007, 04:29 PM
I'm looking into this right now.

aysiu
July 31st, 2007, 04:30 PM
Shouldn't this be in the Resolution Center?

frodon
July 31st, 2007, 04:39 PM
Yes, this surely better fit the resolution center, i'm moving this.

For the admins :
The puppy linux thread don't seem to contain any deleted post and after a quick search i am not able to find any post from toupeiro in the jail in the past 4 days.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=281922

*** Moved to the resolution center ***

jdong
July 31st, 2007, 04:57 PM
Let me take a closer look -- I also don't understand why the post would be removed.

jdong
July 31st, 2007, 05:11 PM
Hmm after a full search I was unable to locate the post either. I do not see it in any deletion logs, etc. I'm just as thoroughly puzzled.

toupeiro
August 2nd, 2007, 08:14 AM
Very strange...

Lets chalk it up to technical difficulty and call it good. While I clearly saw it was a post, and it doesn't clearly show what happened, I don't presume to believe anyone went to such an extent as to delete my post AND cover their tracks. What I said just wasn't that important (at least I would hope). Sorry for being accusative. I was responding to incidents that are in a different light now.

Thank you for your efforts!