PDA

View Full Version : Mepis going back to debian base

loell
July 31st, 2007, 02:54 PM
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6170488551.html

thoughts?

ThinkBuntu
July 31st, 2007, 06:41 PM
Yes, they'll now be using Debian Woody :^)

aysiu
July 31st, 2007, 07:19 PM
My thoughts? Whatever works for them. If a straight Debian base works for them, great. If a Ubuntu base works for them, also great.

az
July 31st, 2007, 07:24 PM
Sounds like Mepis wants the best of both worlds. If you want to offer your users binary-compatibility and incremental updates, then you are going to have to do the work for it.

Now they are in a horrible situation - they are not nimble enough to keep up with six-month release cycles, but they are finding LTS releases to be too slow.

Anyway, I think the whole thing is irrelevant. What Mepis is able to support or not support has exactly no impact on the FLOSS community. I don't see much difference between them and proprietary linux distros like Xandros.

izanbardprince
August 3rd, 2007, 01:30 AM
Sounds like Mepis wants the best of both worlds. If you want to offer your users binary-compatibility and incremental updates, then you are going to have to do the work for it.

Now they are in a horrible situation - they are not nimble enough to keep up with six-month release cycles, but they are finding LTS releases to be too slow.

Anyway, I think the whole thing is irrelevant. What Mepis is able to support or not support has exactly no impact on the FLOSS community. I don't see much difference between them and proprietary linux distros like Xandros.

Well, I played around with the Dapper LiveCD a bit, the packages are old, yes, but the thing that sticks out the worst is that it uses sysvinit instead of Ubuntu's Upstart, in fact, Upstart is probably the biggest improvement Ubuntu has made to date over Debian, in comparison, sysvinit is a downright pain in the keister.