PDA

View Full Version : Reload || !Reload ?

apjone
July 31st, 2007, 12:48 PM
Hi All!

Quick poll, When you upgrade to the latest version of ubuntu (or any other OS) do you go for a fresh install or a upgrade in place?

KIAaze
July 31st, 2007, 01:58 PM
If I didn't have to reinstall all programs, I would go for a fresh reinstall. :)
Until now, I've only upgraded in place.

LaRoza
July 31st, 2007, 02:01 PM
Fresh install, because I don't have an internet connection.

Crashmaxx
July 31st, 2007, 02:56 PM
I do an upgrade in place if my system is clean and set-up well. And I've had very few problems with it. All of the problem were minor things I had messed up at some point.

But I will do a fresh install if I have been screwing around and feel it is just a mess. I did a fresh install of Edgy for the laptop cause I had really made a mess of Dapper on it. Now I need to upgrade it to Feisty and I think a bit of cleaning will allow a smooth in place upgrade.

I definitely prefer to upgrade in place, but sometimes you just need to start fresh.

popch
July 31st, 2007, 03:14 PM
Reload, definitely.

Except for my last migration from Edgy to Feisty. Did a reload from scratch, did not like the way MP3 and other codecs were handled, did not get the audio cd ripper to work, therefore did an upgrade on the other PC.

In the meantime, the upgraded PC went up in smoke, so that the remaining one is Reloaded. Audio CD ripping still not working properly, will have to fix it one of these days, when I have more time. Not urgent, did not buy any CDs recently.

Gustav
July 31st, 2007, 03:40 PM
I've upgraded for every update since Warty and it has always worked flawlessly.

I guess I'm just lucky.

Alexander2007
August 5th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I download the latest ISO and reinstall from scratch. I believe that it makes life easier, plus I have the current release on cd in case I run into problems and have to reinstall. :)