PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Works 9 will be adware

izanbardprince
July 31st, 2007, 08:50 AM
http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2007/07/30/microsoft-works-for-free

Interesting, I wonder if it will run under WINE, it would be nice to be able to open MS Office files in Linux without tearing up the formatting, just to fix it so it looks right in OpenOffice and come to find out it breaks the file again when you open it in Windows.

M7S
July 31st, 2007, 09:14 AM
I might be misinformed but I've heard that Works would be worse than OpenOffice on displaying .doc files properly.

kanem
July 31st, 2007, 10:44 AM
I might be misinformed but I've heard that Works would be worse than OpenOffice on displaying .doc files properly.
Sadly, this fact (if true) won't stop many ignorant people from using it over OpenOffice.

blithen
July 31st, 2007, 10:46 AM
What?!?
Microsoft Works?
Since when did Mircosoft work...at all?

Spr0k3t
July 31st, 2007, 11:01 AM
Shortly after they fired Microsoft Bob.

Something that is odd. One of my jobs is at a local community college who has publicly stated they will not support any format outside of MSOffice type documents. We have students who frantically ask for help converting these documents over so their teach can read them... mainly StarOffice and OpenOffice. Google Docs has a free converter right online for this. Every once in a while we get someone with a question on Works and they are generally upset with the software. Every chance I get I encourage the use of OpenOffice for a fantastic free alternative to MSOffice. Just to see if it could be done, I used OpenOffice as the software for one of the harder Office courses... no problems with compatibility... even in the database section.

smoker
July 31st, 2007, 11:50 AM
surprisingly, and sadly, many openoffice users i know are unaware they can save a file in .doc format until i point it out to them!

happy-and-lost
July 31st, 2007, 12:43 PM
Microsoft Works.

The world's greatest oxymoron.

handy
July 31st, 2007, 12:51 PM
Microsoft Works.

The world's greatest oxymoron.

Right up there with sound engineer!

VChief
August 4th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Ha! M$ once again proves it can't greedy enough. Now, I would think with all the negative criticism that MS has gotten for bloated prices and questionable business practices, they would want to make them selves a little more appealing. But, I'm wrong. No matter what, they have to find some way to make some money. Way to go, Microsoft. The sad thing is people will use it. Instead of going to a completely free, no-strings-attached Open Office, people will download this and watch advertisements dominate their documents. And, since we're so used to it, they'll accept it as normal.

FXEF
September 5th, 2008, 10:21 PM
http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2007/07/30/microsoft-works-for-free

Interesting, I wonder if it will run under WINE, it would be nice to be able to open MS Office files in Linux without tearing up the formatting, just to fix it so it looks right in OpenOffice and come to find out it breaks the file again when you open it in Windows.

Works most likely will run under WINE, however Works _will not_ open MS office .doc files running in Windows, much less WINE. OpenOffice may not play nice with formatting but will at least open .doc files. Works is a compatibility nightmare... sometimes not even compatible with itself.:lolflag:

It is best to use native Linux applications when ever possible, and use WINE as a last resort.

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 10:26 PM
This thread is very old and probably out of date. Closed.