PDA

View Full Version : Programming challenge

zabien1970
July 31st, 2007, 08:49 AM
OK, I'd like a program but since I just started getting into programming (one week) I don't wanna wait till I figure out how to do this.
What I'd like is a program that puts a side bar on the right, like the history in firefox does on the left but gives you a monitering list, the user should be able to add what's monitored.
Kinda like the task manager in windoze lets you see processes running, cpu usage, mem usage, etc,, also internet connection strength, status, and so forth.
I'm using a laptop with wifi and sometimes it's hard to tell my connection strength off the icon on the top right which is where I got this ideal.
So is anybody up to the challenge?
I'd preffer it written in python since that is what I'm trying to learn and I can study the code and modify it if needed.

smartbei
July 31st, 2007, 07:02 PM
Have you taken a look at gdesklets (available in the repos) or some other existing program? What you are suggesting is not exactly simple.

brooksbp
July 31st, 2007, 07:21 PM
So there be this bitch of a language, Python. It keeps being hard and I don't want spend time. I say CHALLENGE! I challenge Python programmer to build me full window with stats computer and daemons out my ***. Then I will have lern'd.

Geekkit
July 31st, 2007, 08:07 PM
You'll find what you're looking for here:

http://www.tehuploadcodez.com/

zabien1970
August 2nd, 2007, 06:30 AM
Have you taken a look at gdesklets (available in the repos) or some other existing program? What you are suggesting is not exactly simple.

Wow, how did I miss this? Just what I was looking for and written in python.

Brooksbp Uh, link seems to lead nowhere?

luckyd
August 2nd, 2007, 06:43 AM
just get screenlets, then get all of screenlets that you want, including the sidebar screenlet :)

pmasiar
August 2nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
So there be this bitch of a language, Python. It keeps being hard and I don't want spend time. I say CHALLENGE! I challenge Python programmer to build me full window with stats computer and daemons out my ***. Then I will have lern'd.

LOL. I challenge you to get your head out off your 4$$ - if you want to learn programming, do your homework. If you cannot be bothered, why would anyone else?

Python is *much* easier than anything else - if you don't believe me, try C++ or Java for change.

Yes, learning *is* hard and thinking *does* hurt, it;s up to you to join real men who can overcome obstacles, or stay behind, whining.

luckyd
August 2nd, 2007, 06:51 PM
heres a link http://gnome-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=63172&file1=63172-1.jpg&file2=63172-2.png&file3=63172-3.png&name=Sidebar+Screenlet+%28Vista%27ish+look%29&PHPSESSID=83f2d552b8a5ceb34b2d9e47b9284f86n :lolflag:

smartbei
August 3rd, 2007, 11:12 AM

:lolflag: Well put.