PDA

View Full Version : Programming challenge

zabien1970
July 31st, 2007, 08:49 AM
OK, I'd like a program but since I just started getting into programming (one week) I don't wanna wait till I figure out how to do this.
What I'd like is a program that puts a side bar on the right, like the history in firefox does on the left but gives you a monitering list, the user should be able to add what's monitored.
Kinda like the task manager in ******* lets you see processes running, cpu usage, mem usage, etc,, also internet connection strength, status, and so forth.
I'm using a laptop with wifi and sometimes it's hard to tell my connection strength off the icon on the top right which is where I got this ideal.
So is anybody up to the challenge?
I'd preffer it written in python since that is what I'm trying to learn and I can study the code and modify it if needed.

smartbei
July 31st, 2007, 07:02 PM
Have you taken a look at gdesklets (available in the repos) or some other existing program? What you are suggesting is not exactly simple.

brooksbp
July 31st, 2007, 07:21 PM
So there be this bitch of a language, Python. It keeps being hard and I don't want spend time. I say CHALLENGE! I challenge Python programmer to build me full window with stats computer and daemons out my ***. Then I will have lern'd.

Geekkit
July 31st, 2007, 08:07 PM
You'll find what you're looking for here:

http://www.tehuploadcodez.com/

zabien1970
August 2nd, 2007, 06:30 AM
Have you taken a look at gdesklets (available in the repos) or some other existing program? What you are suggesting is not exactly simple.

Wow, how did I miss this? Just what I was looking for and written in python.

Brooksbp Uh, link seems to lead nowhere?

luckyd
August 2nd, 2007, 06:43 AM
just get screenlets, then get all of screenlets that you want, including the sidebar screenlet :)

pmasiar
August 2nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
So there be this bitch of a language, Python. It keeps being hard and I don't want spend time. I say CHALLENGE! I challenge Python programmer to build me full window with stats computer and daemons out my ***. Then I will have lern'd.

LOL. I challenge you to get your head out off your 4$$ - if you want to learn programming, do your homework. If you cannot be bothered, why would anyone else?

Python is *much* easier than anything else - if you don't believe me, try C++ or Java for change.

Yes, learning *is* hard and thinking *does* hurt, it;s up to you to join real men who can overcome obstacles, or stay behind, whining.

luckyd
August 2nd, 2007, 06:51 PM
heres a link http://gnome-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=63172&file1=63172-1.jpg&file2=63172-2.png&file3=63172-3.png&name=Sidebar+Screenlet+%28Vista%27ish+look%29&PHPSESSID=83f2d552b8a5ceb34b2d9e47b9284f86n :lolflag:

smartbei
August 3rd, 2007, 11:12 AM

:lolflag: Well put.