PDA

View Full Version : Python Blog

yuvlevental
July 31st, 2007, 12:54 AM
http://my-python-blog.freehostia.com/
My new python blog
I need people to help me find mistakes, review articles, and suggest tips. Also, how do you run a python program from a text file? When I save a file to the desktop, and type in the terminal 'python helloworld.py' I get an error saying that the file can't be found. How do I do that? I have all priveleges
Thanks, Yuval

Sayers
July 31st, 2007, 12:55 AM
Nice blog, I'm wanting to start a Python package but haven't found anyone with low-skills like me to help :) . Slow serer though.

yuvlevental
August 2nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
i figured that out, but I now need someone to explain a way to turn python programs into .dmg/.exe/.deb/.rpm/.bin, ect. that is crossplatform.

UbuWu
August 3rd, 2007, 01:07 AM
i figured that out, but I now need someone to explain a way to turn python programs into .dmg/.exe/.deb/.rpm/.bin, ect. that is crossplatform.

Python programs are already crossplatform. As long as you don't use any os specific code and all required libraries are installed on the system, they should work under any os as long as python is installed.

UbuWu
August 3rd, 2007, 01:09 AM
http://my-python-blog.freehostia.com/
Also, how do you run a python program from a text file?

If you start the program with:

#!/usr/bin/env python

on the first line, and then make it executable (chmod +x filename), you can just type filename to start it or click on it from the desktop.

Hex_Mandos
August 3rd, 2007, 01:25 AM
As a Python newb, I'm adding you to my feedreader.

LaRoza
August 3rd, 2007, 02:36 PM
To prevent it from closing when double clicked put

raw_input("Press any key to continue")

At the end.

I made a wiki for learning Programming, and it has a section for people just learning Python or any language, here (laroza.pbwiki.com)

-EDIT You don't point to how to get Python for Windows, I recommend ActivePython, there is a link in my wiki.

yuvlevental
August 3rd, 2007, 07:21 PM
LaRoza, thanks for the tips I will credit you in my next post. And Hex_Mandos, thanks for subscribing.

yuvlevental
August 3rd, 2007, 09:49 PM
i just posted a new entry

yuvlevental
August 4th, 2007, 02:54 AM
The forums and chat are up!