PDA

View Full Version : There's an insect in my monitor!?

super breadfish
July 30th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I wasn't really sure were to put this, as it's not exactly a Linux related problem, but here goes...

About an hour ago I noticed a little black dot on my monitor. It wouldn't rub off, so I assumed it was a dead pixel, however for the last 10 minutes it's been moving around the screen.

It moves rather like an insect....could one have got inside my screen? If so, what do I do exactly? I don't think the warranty covers insect infestation.

~~Tito~~
July 30th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Is it those big monitors or a LCD? If its the big monitors it could have gotten through the holes in the back. If its the LCD it could be mercury (that got out somehow from the insides) jumping around because of the electricity.

Malh
July 30th, 2007, 10:31 PM
yeah if it's in a CRT you may want to be careful...you have to discharge those things in a specific way...if it is indeed a bug hopefully it will find its way out.

super breadfish
July 30th, 2007, 10:33 PM
It's an LCD.

I'll just have to wait until it finds a way out I guess. I won't bother taking it apart, I'd never get i back together again.

~~Tito~~
July 30th, 2007, 10:33 PM
CRT? The lcd screens? :confused:

~~Tito~~
July 30th, 2007, 10:35 PM
It's an LCD.

I'll just have to wait until it finds a way out I guess. I won't bother taking it apart, I'd never get i back together again.

Use a magnifying glass and see if you see legs. (Look at a blank page on the computer so you can see it better).

FuturePilot
July 30th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Did it look like this?
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t243/LinuxTechie/bugfv2.gif
:lolflag:

Tomosaur
July 30th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I used to get little insects in my LCD screens - they're nothing to worry about. I think the light and heat attracts them. Most will find their own way out after you turn the monitor off (and unplug it too, some monitors stay on stand by and thus generate some heat still). You could also try plugging a real lamp in and keeping it next to your monitor while your monitor is off. This will hopefully draw bugs out of your monitor and to the lamp. In my experience the insects are harmless and won't damage your screen in any way.

Those that don't crawl out will probably die and drop down inside your monitor so that they don't cover your actual viewing area.

stueyboy
July 30th, 2007, 11:15 PM
It's a thunder fly (well that's what we call them). One crawled inside my laptop screen last year and it is still there in the upper left corner whcih is annoying to say the least. Even worse, I saw one crawling around last week but it managed to crawl to the edge andi havent seen it since.

They get everywhere this time of year. You often find them inside picture frames and behind wallpaper.

Lord Illidan
July 30th, 2007, 11:19 PM
I always tend to poke insects crawling on my monitor...now I have unsightly blotches!! Damn insects!

As to OP, debug your monitor!

super breadfish
July 30th, 2007, 11:29 PM
I left my monitor off for half an hour and I can't see it know, so it must have got out.

Thanks for all the advice :D

sparks0548
July 30th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Just as an FYI be careful with CRT based monitors. CRT, Cathode Ray Tube, those tubes when cracked in place will implode and then explode sending slivers of glass all over the place and cutting you to ribbons.

Careful. I've seen one guy sent to an ER messing with them.

Lord Illidan
July 30th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Just as an FYI be careful with CRT based monitors. CRT, Cathode Ray Tube, those tubes when cracked in place will implode and then explode sending slivers of glass all over the place and cutting you to ribbons.

Careful. I've seen one guy sent to an ER messing with them.

Cool..*hunts around for an old crt*

walkerk
July 30th, 2007, 11:47 PM
if it doesn't get out it'll die from starvation.. wait it out :-k

sparks0548
July 30th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I've seen alot of crazy stuff like that being stationed on a Navy Ship....LOL. If it's possible or even impossible, it's already happened in the military....LOL. Like I remember coming into homeport after doing a Counter Drug Operation in the Carribbean, and the 1st Lieutenant says his computer shifted on his desk in his stateroom. I asked how it shifted, he said "From the desk to the floor".....LOL. The fiber Optic cable coming out of the back of the desktop was like the only thing keeping the PC from slamming into the floor...LOL.

That CRT cracking I saw that when a Master Chief's monitor slid across his desk and slammed into a controller box mounted on the bulkhead. The guy who got cut up was an Electronics Technician and it was a bloody mess after he started messing with the damn thing.

lisati
July 30th, 2007, 11:55 PM
As to OP, debug your monitor!

I heard once that the first-ever debugging session on a computer was to get rid of a moth that fried itself, causing major problems. I think there might be pictures somewhere out there in cyberspace, but don't quote me on that one.

Lord Illidan
July 30th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I heard once that the first-ever debugging session on a computer was to get rid of a moth that fried itself, causing major problems. I think there might be pictures somewhere out there in cyberspace, but don't quote me on that one.

I heard of that too..

Onyros
July 31st, 2007, 12:16 AM
I'm still waiting for a printscreen :P

(just kidding, ok?)

oldos2er
July 31st, 2007, 12:32 AM
http://myoldmac.net/FAQ/firstComputerBug.htm

reclusivemonkey
July 31st, 2007, 01:09 AM
Its quite common;

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lcd%2Binsect&search=Search