PDA

View Full Version : How do you organize your bookmarks?

herbster
July 30th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I use Firefox and have my bookmarks in various folders and I have decent organization but I am curious as to how all of you organize your bookmarks. Of particular interest is how you organize the various articles, reference sites, etc. When you have a lot of them it can get cluttered easily.

Also I believe there are some websites where you can put bookmarks online, perhaps some of you use them and can share your setups.

kamaboko
July 30th, 2007, 05:23 PM
By size and color.

bluenova
July 30th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Very rarely use bookmarks these days. Tried using del.icio.us, but always forgot to add sites. If I can't remember an address I just search for it on Google search.

kiddo
July 30th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I use epiphany (http://gnome.org/projects/epiphany) and have no bookmark folders. Well they are kind of like folders but not really: they are topics (tags).

I can leave everything without a specific folder, because the bookmarks are searched on the fly when I type in the address bar. Compared to that, firefox seems clunky to use :) I just take some time to make sure the bookmark title reflects the contents of the page.

B0rsuk
July 30th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I use del.icio.us

http://del.icio.us/b0rsuk

Del.icio.us is similar to ff bookmarks with tags, but there's much more than that. First of all, you can see other people's bookmarks.In some cases, when you're looking for something specific, del.icio.us search beats google ! This is because all the sites listed there are somebody's bookmarks. Somebody's FAVOURITE pages.
Hint: you can search for TWO or more tags at once. Just type them into search field, separated with spaces. For example, you can enter 'linux games' and it'll find only pages with both tags.

Also, if you're not paranoid about privacy, you can access your bookmarks from anywhere you have access to the internet. You can show them to other people without the need of installing or importing something (this makes it great at work). It's easy to export and import the bookmarks to and from various browsers. Unfortunately, not Konqueror, so I have to stick to FF. Del.icio.us is the only reason I keep using Firefox.

JMO707
September 3rd, 2007, 02:49 AM
Argh, and double argh.

I'm getting tired of the hierarchical list on my browsers. I always have to fit things in places where they would just go, like at a 55%.
And del.icio.us! (or ma.gnolia), I just can be comfortable with them! Tags seem nice, or at least that I thought so, but passing from a hierarchical way to that clunky tagged thing, is just painful and messy.

I feel very frustrated with my bookmarks.

LookTJ
September 3rd, 2007, 02:51 AM
By tags. I use del.icio.us.

TeraDyne
September 3rd, 2007, 02:53 AM
I keep most of the links that I use in SeaMonkey. If I use them a lot, they go in the toolbar, otherwise they go into folders that are named for different topics. Anything else goes into my del.icio.us bookmarks.

ButteBlues
September 3rd, 2007, 02:55 AM
By tags.

I use Ephy w/ Epilicious to keep current with my Ma.Gnolia bookmarks, and use Dieu to post to Ma.gnolia (because unlike Ephy it supports private bookmarks and descriptions when bookmarking) via a Bookmarklet in Ephy.

beast2k
September 3rd, 2007, 03:45 AM
I find the best way is to use folders in the bookmarks toolbar and then install the extension "add bookmark here 2" so that there's an add bookmark button at the top in every folder. Each folder can be a different topic for example "Linux" "software" "hardware" "gaming" etc etc

Beamerboy
September 3rd, 2007, 03:52 AM
I don't understand the concept of the thread? Are you suggesting geeks need to somehow place their web bookmarks into some form of structured environment?

I thought all good geeks were just like me and simply have all their bookmarks in one long list ordered by the date they were added (default) in firefox?

Surely any self respecting geek can find a single bookmark in a list of thousands without even looking?

Paladine

herbster
September 3rd, 2007, 06:24 AM
Haha, I'm not suggesting geeks need to do anything, I'm asking how they organize bookmarks-- obviously only one who does would respond with the method :)

I've been keeping my folders in Firefox very organized. I just like having it all sorted into folders, that's makes the easiest reference for me.

thesmartace
September 3rd, 2007, 06:36 AM
I started using Google Bookmarks to keep track of good sites/articles/etc after getting sick of not having my Firefox bookmarks when I was on a computer away from home. You can get an add-on for Firefox called GMarks that loads in your Google Bookmarks as a menu with each label as a folder.

Recently, though, I have started using Del.icio.us. You can also get a Firefox add-on for Del.icio.us so it is just as handy.

herbster
September 3rd, 2007, 07:43 AM
Forgot to mention I just started using Foxmarks, a Firefox extension that wonderfully syncs your bookmarks to a Foxmarks account you can make. I have it set to sync everytime I close Firefox as well an automatic sync that is regular throughout your browsing. Love it!

b20963a2
September 3rd, 2007, 07:44 AM
I have them in an organized folder structure like you do. Additionally I user Google Browser Sync to synchronize between my pc's.

Recently discovered the keyword feature of firebox's bookmarks and starting to like it alot...

Ms_Angel_D
January 21st, 2009, 08:54 AM
I find the best way is to use folders in the bookmarks toolbar and then install the extension "add bookmark here 2" so that there's an add bookmark button at the top in every folder. Each folder can be a different topic for example "Linux" "software" "hardware" "gaming" etc etc

I also use this method, I have all my bookmarks organized into folders on the bookmark toolbar, I also have sub folders in them. I wasn't aware of that extension thanks for posting it.

However I also Use foxmarks, so that If I"m away from home I can just log onto the website and access all my bookmarks in that manner if need be, it also serves the purpose of keeping them synced between my windows/ubuntu installs.

halovivek
January 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM
I use del.icio.us bookmarks from the launch. Till now i have bookmarked around 2819 and still counting. so i feel it is one of the safe for me to keep.

vishzilla
January 21st, 2009, 10:24 AM
I use SiteLauncher.. Pretty neat.. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10127

handy
January 21st, 2009, 10:35 AM
I have around 900 bookmarks, which I need to keep organised in categories for obvious reasons.

I have more than one machine, Leopard is on one of them, plus I use multiple distro's. It was a pain emailing myself my Bookmarks in an effort to synchronise them on multiple bootable systems, so I checked out Foxmarks & it looks like they are pretty safe as far as their privacy policy goes, you do have to accept a cookie or two from them, though since you are using a user name & password it is understandable.

Foxmarks also offers the ability to choose to have your bookmarks & password encrypted (which I do) so that your data should be beyond the reach of any prying marketroid or other form of deviant's eyes.

I love Foxmarks, it does a brilliant job at keeping the Bookmarks on all my setups synchronised.

speedwell68
January 21st, 2009, 11:27 AM
All of my main ones are stored on my iGoogle homepage for quick and easy access. Anything that I want for occasional use is in the bookmarks menu in Firefox.

bruce89
January 21st, 2009, 11:58 AM
One heck of a comeback this thread made, makes Peter Mandelson look pathetic.

Epiphany with its automated bookmark menu hierarchy system is nice in the sense you don't have to think about it.

beercz
January 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM
I don't.

I remember the names of the most frequent sites I visit.

I google anything else.