July 30th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Have you seen Linspire etc...
THEY ARE ALL COPIES OF WINDOWS XP...
REACT OS IS A COPY OF WINDOWS NT...
MAC OS X IS A COPY OF DARWIN OS

What is your view upon all these

starcraft.man
July 30th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Firstly no I haven't used/seen Linspire, not interested. Secondly, you can let go of the shift/caps key we read normal text.

Not everything is a copy of Windows and you got some facts wrong. Firstly, of course React OS is a "copy" of Windows, it is meant to be a reimplementation of Windows and let you run Windows programs for free. That's it's purpose, just like WINE is meant to let you run your games.

Secondly, OSX is not a copy of Darwin OS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)) to my knowledge. Darwin was made by Apple, who also make OSX. Darwin is simply the free base OSX is built on which Apple happened to release, you can't copy your own product. Oh and neither Darwin nor OSX are copies of XP, that is clear.

Lastly, not everything (I'm not exactly sure what "they" references) is a copy of XP. The world of computing existed before XP, and will continue after it dies without fail.

Inxsible
July 30th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I used Linspire for a while (a very short while, actually). The GUI sure looks like Windows XP. That's the purpose of it, i think, so that Windows users can transition to the Linux environment easily.

However, I got rid of it only because it looked too much like XP :)

original_jamingrit
July 30th, 2007, 05:07 PM
React OS is meant to be a 'free' windows, and is supposed to be compiled with 100% original code, so they didn't steal any code from Microsoft. The concept is obviously a copy, but that was the intention.

Brunellus
July 30th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Have you seen Linspire etc...
THEY ARE ALL COPIES OF WINDOWS XP...
REACT OS IS A COPY OF WINDOWS NT...
MAC OS X IS A COPY OF DARWIN OS

What is your view upon all these
1) The capslock was totally unnecessary. Personally, I keymap my Capslock key to be an extra ESC key--makes using vi/vim much faster and more efficient.

2) ReactOS is a clone of WinNT that aims for full binary compatibility. It's based largely on the work of the WINE project. I don't see a use for it, personally, but it's an intriguing project in its own right.

3) Darwin is a kernel. It was also only theoretically "free" of Apple.

stmiller
July 30th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Linspire (Freespire) is intentionally trying to look like Windows. (Duh!) They are out to be a complete newbie, safe-for-grandma Linux distro. It used to be called 'Lindows.'

OS X is Darwin. Not sure what you meant here?

kiddo
July 30th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Windows Vista is a copy of gnome mixed with Mac OS.
Edit: besides, who cares? Imitation generally has good reasons behind it.

ashvala
July 30th, 2007, 05:43 PM
But finally the point is to be unique in your own ways...
Is there only three GUI that are popular we know
All we do is to sit & copy...
Though Those companies are trying to open source windows & mac os x...
It comes of no use!

original_jamingrit
July 30th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Well, It's not that really big of a deal if you can customize your themes yourself.

Unless you're talking about something really far-out, like replacing a desktop environment with something looks and feels like a first person shooter, or something like that.

Brunellus
July 30th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Well, It's not that really big of a deal if you can customize your themes yourself.

Unless you're talking about something really far-out, like replacing a desktop environment with something looks and feels like a first person shooter, or something like that.
on that score, someone has already attempted to use Doom as a tool for system administration:

http://www.cs.unm.edu/~dlchao/flake/doom/

original_jamingrit
July 30th, 2007, 07:22 PM
on that score, someone has already attempted to use Doom as a tool for system administration:

sweet

@trophy
July 30th, 2007, 07:34 PM

I think I just had a nerdgasm...

init1
July 30th, 2007, 08:01 PM
1) The capslock was totally unnecessary. Personally, I keymap my Capslock key to be an extra ESC key--makes using vi/vim much faster and more efficient.

2) ReactOS is a clone of WinNT that aims for full binary compatibility. It's based largely on the work of the WINE project. I don't see a use for it, personally, but it's an intriguing project in its own right.

3) Darwin is a kernel. It was also only theoretically "free" of Apple.
Darwin is not just a kernel, it's a free OS. I downloaded the ISO but it didn't recognize my hardware.