PDA

View Full Version : Back to Dapper

tigerpants
July 30th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Anyone else heading back?

I've perservered with Edgy (Feisty just does not like my laptop at all) but I've got fed up with trying to get the wireless drivers working (nothing works, it keeps hanging no matter what guide I follow, and I've followed them all).

Has anyone else gone back to Dapper? It's made me realise that upgrading every 6 months isn't necessarily a good thing.:)

andrew.46
July 30th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Hi,

Went back shortly after the arrival of Feisty. My burner never really worked under Feisty and I disliked the automatic codec downloading. Plus I enjoy being a little retro :-)

Andrew

LaRoza
July 30th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I use Dapper and Feisty, however, Feisty works fine with my computer.

PatrickMay16
July 30th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I love dapper and used to for a whole year, upgrading to it shortly after its release. Unfortunately, I had to update to feisty because I needed a kernel with smp, and more pow0r.
Feisty uses a lot more memory than dapper.

Bungo Pony
July 30th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I had problems running Edgy, probably since my PC is newer so I won't be going back. It's likely that I'll be sticking with the next LT release since upgrading every six months isn't appealing to me very much.

Tundro Walker
July 30th, 2007, 01:34 PM
This kinda worries me. I currently hardline to a router, but I'm moving soon and where I'm moving to only offers wireless. I hope I can figure it out. I mean, getting cut-off from the internet is bad enough, but a lot of what Ubuntu does requires an internet connection for repo's. It'll be difficult to operate without it.

tszanon
July 30th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I'm still using Dapper because (as far as I remember):
1. In Edgy, I lost the UPS battery indicator. If I point it with the mouse, it correctly shows how much energy it still holds, but the icon itself became a red cross.
2. In Feisty, my multimedia keys stopped working. Some days ago, I found a correction here in the forums, but I'm afraid of screwing my installation for the third time, so I'm not updating for now.

frodon
July 30th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I'm still using Dapper because (as far as I remember):
1. In Edgy, I lost the UPS battery indicator. If I point it with the mouse, it correctly shows how much energy it still holds, but the icon itself became a red cross.
2. In Feisty, my multimedia keys stopped working. Some days ago, I found a correction here in the forums, but I'm afraid of screwing my installation for the third time, so I'm not updating for now.Make a backup of your ubuntu partition :)

I do that before each new release upgrade thus i can revert back my ubuntu install if i'm not fine after the upgrade.

angryfirelord
July 30th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I love dapper and used to for a whole year, upgrading to it shortly after its release. Unfortunately, I had to update to feisty because I needed a kernel with smp, and more pow0r.
Feisty uses a lot more memory than dapper.
Did you search the various linux-image packages? There is a SMP kernel for it.

tigerpants
July 30th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I'm starting to favour stability now over anything else. Slow and steady wins the race.

dca
July 30th, 2007, 03:16 PM
My Acer laptop (very new) has no choice but to run 7.04, however everything else I have runs 6.06LTS... The laptop has too much stuff requiring too much tweaking on the LTS release...

tszanon
July 30th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Make a backup of your ubuntu partition :)

I do that before each new release upgrade thus i can revert back my ubuntu install if i'm not fine after the upgrade.
Last time I did it. The backup didn't work. Segmentation fault in partimage. Then I tried a previous backup image. Since I forgot to include /boot in the backup process (it's a seperate partition), the system couldn't boot properly. Instead of trying to fix it, I reinstalled the system, because I was afraid of forgetting something and realising it in a...inappropriate moment.

I just don't create a backup image of /home because of all that garbage I keep downloading. :)

Thanks!

FuturePilot
July 30th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I went back. At least with my laptop anyways. Although my reason was a bit different. Feisty kept freezing:mad: and from the looks of it Gutsy will do the same thing. So I guess I'm permanently stuck with Dapper. But now I wish I could use Feisty on it.:(

Incense
July 30th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Is Dapper really more stable then the later releases? I know it is supported longer then 6.10 and 7.04, but is it really more stable? I will gladly use the older software is it means more stability.

FuturePilot
July 30th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I would say yes, it is a bit more stable.