PDA

View Full Version : Getdeb article in Wikipedia

Kosimo
July 29th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Hi Mates.

First of all sorry for my simple English I'll do my best.

Ubuntu is unstoppable, every version is always faster more simple and easy to use... WIth more and more users, (Since Feisty I converted already 4 people to Ubuntu ;) )
But we still have a long way 'till we catch the biggest user market, the one who doesn't have enough knowledge to even know what a terminal is.
This kind of user is able to run Windows, to download a simple game and install it.
But, is not really able to install apps (outside the magic add/remove) in Ubuntu and in linux in general.

In my opinion, software portals are the key to allow easy and simple installations for this kind of users. An easy file to download and install with a simple double click.

Getdeb (http://www.getdeb.net) is doing a good job with lot of free applications compiled in .debs perfect for feisty (32 and 64 bits). Now that feisty installs automatically dependencies this is the perfect way to install latest programs.

Is even good for developers of open source applications to give to the whole ubuntu community the latest version of a specific program ready to install and use it.

So... I decide to create an article in wikipedia about Getdeb (Here) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getdeb) But as you can see, my english is really simple and I need help to correct my grammar errors. Someone can just check it?

Thank you.

From Barcelona.

benanzo
July 29th, 2007, 10:41 PM
I cleaned it up a little, but otherwise good job.

Koybe
July 29th, 2007, 10:44 PM
I don't think software installation trough manual downloading is the best way to begin with Linux. There is much in the repo and if you search stability you should stick with this.

The fact is that Linux Desktop (en particularly Ubuntu) growth well in a familial or personal environment. But to catch a bigger user market as you told, I think Linux must focus on enterprise needs. That's the main market and the more ambitious ;)

Anyway, good idea to make an article :D

Kosimo
July 29th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I cleaned it up a little, but otherwise good job.

Cool!
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you :)

Kosimo
July 29th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I don't think software installation trough manual downloading is the best way to begin with Linux. There is much in the repo and if you search stability you should stick with this.

The fact is that Linux Desktop (en particularly Ubuntu) growth well in a familial or personal environment. But to catch a bigger user market as you told, I think Linux must focus on enterprise needs. That's the main market and the more ambitious ;)

I'm agree with you in part...
But... Now, is not a good answer when my father ask me how to install Pidgin 2.0.2.

I can't say: Go to pidgin site, download the source code. Open the terminal, extract it, compile and install. It sounds easy for you maybe, there is "NO WAY" to make my father to do this.

But... He can download a file and make a double click. :popcorn:

We MUST make things easy for the people... Then, you can always use terminal synaptic or anything you want. :)

Thanks for your answer ;)

Koybe
July 29th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I can't say: Go to pidgin site, download the source code. Open the terminal, extract it, compile and install. It sounds easy for you maybe, there is "NO WAY" to make my father to do this.

I totally agree with this. Anyway... Why give him Pidgin 2.02... The gaim included in Feisty should be enough for 99.9% of people.

Imagine in two month there is a critical update for a security risk with pidgin... it's 2.03... he probably won't ever have a think about upgrading it. Sticking with repo guarantee a certain security of your system.

But well... this is just my thought. ;) And I use Getdeb some times too :)

Kosimo
July 29th, 2007, 10:55 PM

Do you really think that Enterprise market is bigger than User market? And Enterprise market is the main propose of Ubuntu?

Kosimo
July 29th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I totally agree with this. Anyway... Why give him Pidgin 2.02... The gaim included in Feisty should be enough for 99.9% of people.

Imagine in two month there is a critical update for a security risk with pidgin... it's 2.03... he probably won't ever have a think about upgrading it. Sticking with repo guarantee a certain security of your system.

But well... this is just my thought. ;) And I use Getdeb some times too :)

Hmm... It makes sense what you're saying... But, we'll get a point when there is too much software to control and add to the repo... I mean, each software has lots of versions, and there is lots lots lots of programs.. Ubuntu is not able to control every single one. Everything is growing too fast and is not the ubunut's community job to control and add every single version of every single program in the repo.

What we need is a solid rock OS. Then, developers of each software should make their best to create solid programs. :-)

That's the way I see it

smiggs
July 29th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Do you really think that Enterprise market is bigger that User market? And Enterprise market is the main propose of Ubuntu?

Ubuntu are unlikely to make any money off the user market since even OEMs will just download it for free. At Enterprise level they can at least try for some support deals, even that's dubious since large enterprises will have their own in house teams.

Koybe
July 29th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Do you really think that Enterprise market is bigger than User market? And Enterprise market is the main propose of Ubuntu?

Home computing is cool and Ubuntu do it well, but free alternatives for the enterprises great. If ubuntu started with LTS version I guess they have that in mind. You can change a home computer every six month... but not an enterprise computer.

I think it's start to be nice to use Linux in Enterprise (as a desktop) and if it goes well, it'll help linux growing and then hit more and more users.

stmiller
July 29th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I think Fedora is more cutting edge to get newer kernels and packages out the door. Ubuntu has a slightly different take on this.

ruibernardo
July 30th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Hi everyone,

can anybody tell me if this "getdeb" thing is official?

Kosimo
July 30th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Hi everyone,

can anybody tell me if this "getdeb" thing is official?

What you mean about "official" ?

Is not made by canonical or ubuntu community.

Kosimo
July 30th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Someone put the article in (Advertisement status...)
Is not an ad... You know guys! :(:(

ArtInvent
August 9th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I took the liberty of adding to the Getdeb wikipedia article, summarizing some of the pros and cons of using 'bleeding edge' packages.

I think a site like Getdeb is a tremendous help. Yes, I can compile software from source. No, I really don't ever want to.

I think it's basically a problem, given that so much open source software is developing rapidly, and much of it is immature and beta. Of course we want to have a stable system, yet a lot of these newer packages add features that are very sorely lacking and may actually make or break the software, whether you want to use it at all or not.

Kosimo
August 10th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I took the liberty of adding to the Getdeb wikipedia article, summarizing some of the pros and cons of using 'bleeding edge' packages.

I think a site like Getdeb is a tremendous help. Yes, I can compile software from source. No, I really don't ever want to.

I think it's basically a problem, given that so much open source software is developing rapidly, and much of it is immature and beta. Of course we want to have a stable system, yet a lot of these newer packages add features that are very sorely lacking and may actually make or break the software, whether you want to use it at all or not.

Cool, ;) Thank you!

I'm agree with you. Users without "compiling knowledge" must have the right to install simply the latest version of a specific program.