PDA

View Full Version : What are the first things you install when you install a new OS?

Ultra Magnus
July 29th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Just wondering, what is the first thing (or things) you install when you install a new OS. I was just reminiscing with a friend about the time when I couldn't connect to the internet to download a firewall quick enough before a virus struck my windows box totally incapacitating it and forcing it to constantly reboot 60 seconds after I had switched it on - Ahh the memories. Ever since then, On windows I have always installed a firewall and anti virus before doing anything else. On Ubuntu, the first things I install are:
Songbird - my current favourite media player
Beryl - Yes I'm a sucker for eye candy
Emacs - Need a good text editor (although I'm fast beginning to enjoy using Vim.

How about you?

bbzbryce
July 29th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Amarok - My favorite.
Emacs - While I'm not a big fan of ~ files they have saved me a few times. Other than that I love emacs.
Liferea - I need my RSS feeds.
Python - My language of choice.
Build-essential package - What computer science student could go without this?

beercz
July 29th, 2007, 08:57 PM
updates

compennex
July 29th, 2007, 09:01 PM
the first thing i do is download wormux!! and then a bunch of codecs

Paul820
July 29th, 2007, 09:09 PM
build-essential
code::blocks
Newer version of gimp
blender
codecs

PilotJLR
July 29th, 2007, 09:21 PM
codecs
amarok
vmware workstation
citrix client (cause i work too much)

Luffield
July 29th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Mouse gestures and Adblock Plus for Firefox.

Hex_Mandos
July 29th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Restricted codecs & libdvdcss

SunnyRabbiera
July 29th, 2007, 09:48 PM
well outside of the restricted stuff I install crossover office plus Zsnes

Lord Illidan
July 29th, 2007, 09:56 PM
codecs, firefox (if not included default)

init1
July 29th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Just wondering, what is the first thing (or things) you install when you install a new OS. I was just reminiscing with a friend about the time when I couldn't connect to the internet to download a firewall quick enough before a virus struck my windows box totally incapacitating it and forcing it to constantly reboot 60 seconds after I had switched it on - Ahh the memories. Ever since then, On windows I have always installed a firewall and anti virus before doing anything else. On Ubuntu, the first things I install are:
Songbird - my current favourite media player
Beryl - Yes I'm a sucker for eye candy
Emacs - Need a good text editor (although I'm fast beginning to enjoy using Vim.

How about you?
Fix Fire Fox. I have to have Google as my home page. I use ctrl+home all the time. I also don't like the default configurations, so I edit those.

xpod
July 29th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I`m sure theres another o these threads somewhere but what the hell....

Updates....
Restricted drivers
Firestarter
Firefox extensions/themes
Codecs/flash/java
nfs
vlc
Beryl/compiz(if not gutsy)
Ktorrent
Google Earth
Virtualbox
Thunderbird

And on the other machines, usually a whole heap o kiddie stuff & games.:)

tcpip4lyfe
July 29th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I want to make a disro with only gridwars installed. That's all I need.

hessiess
July 29th, 2007, 10:30 PM
blender

herbster
July 29th, 2007, 11:21 PM
First thing I do is definitely nVidia drivers, then copy over my xorg.conf and my .asoundrc, the two most important files I have on my machine (as far as the configuration goes). Both are highly customized, and it's amazing how two files take care of all my sound and video settings.

Then definitely codecs and amarok. All the rest is fun when you've got the tunes cranking while you're doing it :D

Xzallion
July 29th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Updates
Codecs (mp3, ogg, flac, etc)
Amarok
MySQL (install and configure for Amarok)

I got to have my music before I do anything else.