PDA

View Full Version : React OS, MS is going to flip out

b1nary_w01f
July 29th, 2007, 03:43 AM
if you thought MS was angry about Linux and open office wait till they find this. If they say Linux violates 235 patents, I cant imagine how many they could clam this violates.

www.reactos.org (http://www.reactos.org)

Free, open source windows compatible operating system. Its still in alpha but it looks promising,
they even plan to have direct-x support by the 0.6 beta.

I tested this out a little bit on one of my old laptops, and for the most part it holds together very well for an alpha. however its probably better then I'm seeing, this laptop was given to me by my father because it had to many hardware bugs and no longer supported windows or most *nix systems. so I'm not sure when a crash if from the software of hardware. = /
React OS installs and seconds and I was able to get fire-fox, Quake World, and Win amp installed just as easily as in windows.

Maybe I'm a little over optimistic, but I'm really hoping that this will be the windows killer if its all they promised when its released, because really the only reason I even have windows still is to play games I cant get to work properly on wine. If React OS can run them, who needs windows? Of course they would need a lot more then they are planing in order for me to replace Ubuntu with it, but its more then enough to warrant ditching Windows XP.

slimdog360
July 29th, 2007, 03:45 AM
your'e a little late

b1nary_w01f
July 29th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Why, did some one post this already?

KiwiNZ
July 29th, 2007, 03:50 AM
This has been around for some time now.
Its too old before it even hits the ground. Who wants an OS from the mid 90's

Billy_McBong
July 29th, 2007, 03:59 AM
it says on there website that it was started in February of 1998
9 years and they still are in alpha?
by the time a final version comes out this thing will be very outdated(even if it came out now it would probably be outdated)

cmat
July 29th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Microsoft doing an audit on the code is what dragged the project to a near halt. Also the lack of developers if I can remember.

hanzomon4
July 29th, 2007, 04:02 AM
This could end up being what GNU was to UNIX

bread eyes
July 29th, 2007, 04:07 AM
it says on there website that it was started in February of 1998
9 years and they still are in alpha?
by the time a final version comes out this thing will be very outdated(even if it came out now it would probably be outdated)
Its suppose to be binary compatible with Windows NT 5 and up, that includes Vista.

b1nary_w01f
July 29th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Hmmm...you all have a point, i was unaware of how long this project had been around. Being how old it its MS must already know about it, i guess they don't feel threatened, most likely because its been so long in development with(for the time span) little development. looking at how long its taken to get this far im no longer impressed...i wish i had known all this before i posted... = \

(i still have a little glimmer of hope for it though =) )

init1
July 29th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Its suppose to be binary compatible with Windows NT 5 and up, that includes Vista.
Yeah, but for the moment it is not very useful. Hopefuly, it will indeed give MS something to fear in the future.

swoll1980
July 29th, 2007, 04:23 AM
This react things been going on for more than a decade. By the time it's done Microsoft programs
will run on a diferant format, and they will have to start the whole thing over. I'll fell sory for the people that are funding this thing. I'm not against open source or public software, but this project is a waste of resources. There are kids starving to death in all parts of the world, and thousands of dollars are being flushed down the toliet on this project.
My advice is if you want to run .exe programs try using Microsoft Windows it's pretty easy to find, and from my experience does a fairly good job at running .exe files on my computer.

Frak
July 29th, 2007, 04:28 AM
It was started around 10 or 11 years ago. I remember like it was yesterday, it crashed within 2 minutes of bootup, and it hasn't gotten very far since...

bread eyes
July 29th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Yeah, but for the moment it is not very useful. Hopefuly, it will indeed give MS something to fear in the future.

That's not what I was trying to say. What I was trying to say was that if it was done now it wouldn't be outdated.

cmat
July 29th, 2007, 04:36 AM
By the time it's done Microsoft programs will run on a diferant format, and they will have to start the whole thing over.

If Microsoft changed the "format" of the OS (Windows) then it would not have any backwards compatibility with existing applications.

loell
July 29th, 2007, 04:43 AM
That's not what I was trying to say. What I was trying to say was that if it was done now it wouldn't be outdated.

how so? it started 9 to 10 years ago, yet many foresee that when it reaches 1.0 , it will certainly be outdated.

swoll1980
July 29th, 2007, 04:50 AM
If Microsoft changed the "format" of the OS (Windows) then it would not have any backwards compatibility with existing applications.

I mean in 20 more years when this thing reaches 1.0 there wont even be a Windows. open source software will be accepted by the masses, and react OS will be the only OS in the world that supports the .exe format

original_jamingrit
July 29th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Still looks interesting. If it ever gets finished in the future I may like to try it, if just for kicks.

Heck, I may download what they have now, now I'm curious.

bread eyes
July 29th, 2007, 04:52 AM
how so? it started 9 to 10 years ago, yet many foresee that when it reaches 1.0 , it will certainly be outdated.

First of, that's no even a valid reason. I doubt they will release 1.0 until they have a useful level of compatibility.

cmat
July 29th, 2007, 04:53 AM
I mean in 20 more years when this thing reaches 1.0 there wont even be a Windows. open source software will be accepted by the masses, and react OS will be the only OS in the world that supports the .exe format

If that's the case good thing we caught on now so we can say "I told ya so!" :)

But 20 years is centuries in terms of technology. Who knows if open source wins or if windows crushes all the competition.

loell
July 29th, 2007, 05:00 AM
First of, that's no even a valid reason. I doubt they will release 1.0 until they have a useful level of compatibility.

no its not a reason , its a forecast of the inevetable. reactos is meant to run what they will call in the future legacy programs of what we call today current win programs.

are you familiar with freedos?

aysiu
July 29th, 2007, 07:16 AM
ReactOS was barely functional for me:
http://ubuntucat.wordpress.com/2007/07/22/reactos-could-be-good-much-much-later/

init1
July 29th, 2007, 07:22 AM
no its not a reason , its a forecast of the inevetable. reactos is meant to run what they will call in the future legacy programs of what we call today current win programs.

FreeDOS is nice. It actually works fairly well for most programs. I love the DOS structure.

bread eyes
July 29th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Again, I'm talking about if it was done NOW.

init1
July 29th, 2007, 07:26 AM
The best part is you get BSODs with open source! :lol:
But seriously, I have gotten several BSODs in emulated reactos sessions. There isn't any text, but the screen turns blue and nothing else happens.
Neither the reactos installer nor live CD worked for me. The only way I can try it is in qemu.

init1
July 29th, 2007, 07:30 AM
I wonder... Does anyone know if one can boot Win95/98 in FreeDOS? It kinda defeats the purpose of making a GPL OS, but at least it's half there.

astromech
July 29th, 2007, 07:33 AM
I tried it the other day and it didn't even get past the boot splash! I can hear people at MS laughing their heads off over this one .Scared ? I don't think so .The only way this would actually compete with windows is if it were comparable to XP.And if it was>THEN MS would sue the crap out of them.

loell
July 29th, 2007, 07:59 AM
FreeDOS is nice. It actually works fairly well for most programs. I love the DOS structure.

so do I :)

loell
July 29th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Again, I'm talking about if it was done NOW.

how rude, :lolflag:

you still did not answer my original question, how so?

Iandefor
July 29th, 2007, 08:03 AM
If Microsoft changed the "format" of the OS (Windows) then it would not have any backwards compatibility with existing applications.Pff, Microsoft is too afraid of their customers to break backwards compatibility. One of the reasons their marketshare is so huge is because they have the collected intertia of 20+ years of backwards compatibility. Admittedly, it's been beginning to break in XP and I have no clue where it stands in Vista, but I when I still ran Windows XP, I could run DOS apps from the early 80's without any problem.

Frak
July 29th, 2007, 08:15 AM
The best part is you get BSODs with open source! :lol:
But seriously, I have gotten several BSODs in emulated reactos sessions. There isn't any text, but the screen turns blue and nothing else happens.
Neither the reactos installer nor live CD worked for me. The only way I can try it is in qemu.
Actually, that was an incredible gap that was bridged, was to actually get it to blue screen, instead of just stopping...

bread eyes
July 29th, 2007, 08:17 AM
how rude, :lolflag:

you still did not answer my original question, how so?

Because if they were done now it would be 100% compatible with Vista (which is the most resent Windows (which is not obsolete (which would make the hypothetical ReactOS practical))).

Frak
July 29th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I actually got Microsoft office to work for 5 minutes, if you count those 4 minutes where nothing moved, and then it BSoD'd.

handy
July 29th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Pff, Microsoft is too afraid of their customers to break backwards compatibility. One of the reasons their marketshare is so huge is because they have the collected intertia of 20+ years of backwards compatibility. Admittedly, it's been beginning to break in XP and I have no clue where it stands in Vista, but I when I still ran Windows XP, I could run DOS apps from the early 80's without any problem.

Perhaps 64bit OS may do eventually do it?

bread eyes
July 29th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Perhaps 64bit OS may do eventually do it?

It wouldn't need to.

handy
July 29th, 2007, 08:33 AM
It's unfortunate that the ReactOS team & funds didn't go into Wine.

Quillz
July 29th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Hmmm...you all have a point, i was unaware of how long this project had been around. Being how old it its MS must already know about it, i guess they don't feel threatened, most likely because its been so long in development with(for the time span) little development. looking at how long its taken to get this far im no longer impressed...i wish i had known all this before i posted... = \

(i still have a little glimmer of hope for it though =) )
I'm pretty the real reason is because, who'd use it?

ashvala
July 29th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Mind you .... React OS is still in Alpha Stage... Not meant for daily usage.
However MS is fed up!:):popcorn::guitar::guitar::guitar::popcorn::po pcorn:

Paul820
July 29th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Well, i just downloaded the liveCD to try it, it wouldn't even work all i got was a black screen. They have got a lot of work to do so i don't think microsoft see any threat from them any time soon.

PatrickMay16
July 29th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I tried to install reactOS in qemu a few months ago. It's very incomplete.

izanbardprince
July 29th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Sure they could, Apple went from Mac Classic (OS 9 and earlier) to OS X (UNIX based), and put in a compatibility layer for old software, the only reason you can't run old software on new Macs now is because Apple changed from using IBM PowerPC processors to Intel X86-64 ones.

I don't see X86 going anywhere anytime soon, it will probably be extended to 128-bit before we see the end of it.

izanbardprince
July 29th, 2007, 12:24 PM
I tried to install reactOS in qemu a few months ago. It's very incomplete.

I ran the VMware image (with VMware tools installed), ReactOS is very unstable, and it ran very few Windows executables that WINE couldn't, and actually, WINE on Linux is more Windows compatible than ReactOS because it has DirectX support.

Oh yeah, it was way slow too.

Arathorn
July 29th, 2007, 12:26 PM
I don't see the use. Why not use Linux with Wine for the few programs that are not cross-platform or don't have a Linux equivalent? You can make Linux work and look exactly like Windows for the people who don't want to adapt. I'd rather have more development on WINE (I know they share some code, but I'd prefer them working directly on WINE code).

izanbardprince
July 29th, 2007, 12:37 PM
It's their own time and resources they're wasting, I think that Windows is a bad system to try and clone, even Microsoft is having trouble trying to make the Windows API more flexible, and they're the ones who wrote it, and have complete working knowledge of all the ins and outs.

When you think about it, there's just so much more future potential for UNIX-like systems than there is for Windows.