PDA

View Full Version : I need your help! I need to find or develop, Linux Diabetes management software

RAV TUX
July 29th, 2007, 01:47 AM
I am a Diabetic, I need to buckle down and track my Blood Glucose Levels as well as my food intake....

I just breifly did a Google search and am having a hard time finding Linux diabetes management software...

Does anybody know of software that exist for Linux.

If it doesn't exist then I need help in developing Linux diabetes management software, that is based in Linux and GNU Open Source.

I think a Linux + GNU Open Source Linux diabetes management appliance would be helpful for those with Diabetes like myself.

DoctorMO
July 29th, 2007, 01:50 AM
You need to write and make available the full specification for how such software operates. it doesn't sound like a massive task and I'd be happy to build such a small tool.

LEt us know what it needs to do.

shen-an-doah
July 29th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Did a quick search on sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=diabetes

RAV TUX
July 29th, 2007, 02:00 AM
You need to write and make available the full specification for how such software operates. it doesn't sound like a massive task and I'd be happy to build such a small tool.

LEt us know what it needs to do.

DoctorMO, it needs to be able to Graph Blood Glucose levels....

This could be taken as often as 3 times a day but perhaps more often

I also need keep track of my food intake, how much carbs, sugar, proteins etc.

I also need to keep track of physical activities, exercise to see how this effects my blood glucose levels

If we can get the thing working to sync with my blood glucose monitor would be great also.

I wonder if anybody has written a Linux OS to run a monitor.

RAV TUX
July 29th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Did a quick search on sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=diabetesshen-an-doah, thanks for the links I am researching them now. ;)

RAV TUX
July 29th, 2007, 02:07 AM
unfortunately many of those don't appear to be active projects but I am searching them all now.

Thanks again.

%hMa@?b<C
July 29th, 2007, 02:08 AM
why not just graph it in OOo Calc?

shen-an-doah
July 29th, 2007, 02:09 AM
unfortunately many of those don't appear to be active projects but I am searching them all now.

Thanks again.

Ah, but that's the beauty of open source, dead projects still have code available that can be built upon :)

RAV TUX
July 29th, 2007, 02:17 AM
why not just graph it in OOo Calc?

That would be a basic thing I could do to keep track, what I would like is to create a system that syncs with my Glucometer, that would be ideal....

But I could enter it manually...

perhaps just keep an old fashion written journal ;)

Ah, but that's the beauty of open source, dead projects still have code available that can be built upon :)

Your are correct I well take a look at these and see if there is anything to build on, I found at least two that are in Beta and not in the Alpha and planning stage.

i0Null
July 30th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I'm a type 1 diabetic, and I am developing a program to help me keep track of my readings.

If you have any specific spec's, I will happily try to integrate it into it my app, and upload it somewhere. Currently it keeps track of my medical equipment, blood glucose/ketone readings and email's my pharmacy when i'm low on supplies.
Unfortunately, i'm not sure how things work with regards to medical equipment and specifics outside of the UK. So any information or developers are welcome :).

popch
July 30th, 2007, 01:47 PM
The following does not explicitly support Linux but appears to be written in Java (code once, run anywhere, as they say).

SiDiary is a diabetes management software for Smartphones, PocketPC, Windows computers and Java mobile phones. Helps you to track your blood glucose levels, carbs and insulin, among other things, and generates graphs and statistics as feedback. Today more than 15 blood glucose meters can be imported. It is used with all types of diabetes (type 1-4, pumpers etc.). A nutrition database with 6,500 food records (USDA) is included.

http://www.cnet.de/downloads/0,10000011,409r-5890s,00.htm

or

http://www.downloads-world.de/download_4341/SiDiary+-+Diabetes+Management-Software+

The second site offers a much smaller download and puts the software into the categroy 'fun'. Weird, unless you are a vampire, I suppose.

Sorry for the german language sites. The software is said to be multi-lingual, though.

Some also suggest to search for 'nutrition management software' instead of 'diabetes management software'. Both yield quite a few hits, but I can not tell what they are worth.

RAV TUX
July 31st, 2007, 12:05 AM
I'm a type 1 diabetic, and I am developing a program to help me keep track of my readings.

If you have any specific spec's, I will happily try to integrate it into it my app, and upload it somewhere. Currently it keeps track of my medical equipment, blood glucose/ketone readings and email's my pharmacy when i'm low on supplies.
Unfortunately, i'm not sure how things work with regards to medical equipment and specifics outside of the UK. So any information or developers are welcome :).

I specifically use a OneTouch Ultra.

hannulan
August 15th, 2007, 01:01 PM
I'm also type 1. Which meter do you use? I have start thinking of a program for my meter, Precision Xceed.

How do you keep track of the food intake? I think counting carbs, protein... are way to difficult.

Bluejacket
December 29th, 2007, 04:01 PM
How's this project advancing? My father has Onetouch Ultra Smart meter, he's hoping he could either run the Windows software with Wine or use a native Linux program.

sorinrestea
February 7th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I am a diabetes type 2. I use the Sidiary Diabetes Management (www.sidiary.org). It is not a free application, but it is a small fee. you get one Windows application, one for PDA (windows Mobile), and if you want, a Java application for your mobile phone wich works great with my sony ericsson.This application is capable to import data from almost all glucometers on the market (i have accucheck active). of course with the right cable. Is a very good application, because you can track blood glucose levels, ketone levels, carbs you have eat, effort you have done, weight, pulse, arterial pressure. also it has a big database with carbs in food you have eat. It shows you graphs with all values you track and calculates HBA1 values which tend to be very close to the lab value. unfortunately it is not free and it has not a linux distribution as far as i know. but must work fine under Wine.

cuddy
June 28th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I see that this thread a year old. Did anyone manage to find any decent software that will also read from an Abbott Lite meter?
Thanks,
Cuddy