PDA

View Full Version : (Dell) Why Fiesty? Why not the Lts release?

swoll1980
July 29th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Seems to me Dell should have went with the stable long term support of the Lts release rather than the "bleeding edge, change my OS every 6 months" release. I believe this kind of constant change might not appeal to the masses. Any opinians? Let me know.

Bachstelze
July 29th, 2007, 12:18 AM
And if Dell had put Dapper on their stuff, people would ask "Why not the latest version ?"...

Moreover, due to the way Ubuntu works, it is not only the OS itself that doesn't change but all the software. ******* people are used to always run the latest everything, give them Dapper, tell them "okay, it's LTS so you're stuck with Firefox 1.5", they'll laugh at you and go "Linux is so crap i cannot update firefox lololol".

satn3ver
July 29th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I'd have to agree that the average windows desktop user is more interested in having the newest and the shiniest than stability. That said i am running fiesty because i like being on the edge at home. If this was a workstation i'd have LTS installed.

kamaboko
July 29th, 2007, 01:03 AM
I'd have to agree that the average windows desktop user is more interested in having the newest and the shiniest than stability. That said i am running fiesty because i like being on the edge at home. If this was a workstation i'd have LTS installed.

My Vista shines and it's stable. :) Ubuntu on the other hand will have to be moved to my new laptop when it arrives. It currently blows.

Bachstelze
July 29th, 2007, 01:08 AM
My Vista shines and it's stable. :)

Uptime ?

kamaboko
July 29th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Uptime ?

I haven't turned it off in months. I normally don't turn my machines off. Here's why....
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ When I'm not using it, they can to find cures. I think everyone should do this.

g2g591
July 29th, 2007, 01:38 AM
my vista takes about 15 minutes just to boot, and another 10 to shutdown, vista's a demanding piece of junk (i'd say worse but i have self-restraint).

kamaboko
July 29th, 2007, 01:45 AM
my vista takes about 15 minutes just to boot, and another 10 to shutdown, vista's a demanding piece of junk (i'd say worse but i have self-restraint).

My Ultimate takes all of 50 seconds from hitting the power button to getting the desktop. And it's ready to role once that desktop shows up. I just restarted it to see how long it takes. (It has been months since it has had one).

smoker
July 29th, 2007, 01:50 AM
personally, if i was buying a ubuntu dell, i'd want the latest version, and if gutsy is out by the time they go on sale in the uk, i'd want that!

swoll1980
July 29th, 2007, 03:02 AM
How the H-E double hockey sticks did this harmless post turn into Windows Vs. Linux. I never saw that one coming. While we are on the subject as far as Windows goes I had vista offerd to me for free and declind. Witch is why I started this post in the first place I would rather have the more stable Win xp than to deal with all the problems the Vista users are dealing with

eljoeb
July 29th, 2007, 03:06 AM
How the H-E double hockey sticks did this harmless post turn into Windows Vs. Linux. I never saw that one coming.

Did you? I always thought if you posted about how much you didn't like chocolate someone would find something linking chocolate with Microsoft, therefore making chocolate evil.

DaveAK
July 29th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Did you? I always thought if you posted about how much you didn't like chocolate someone would find something linking chocolate with Microsoft, therefore making chocolate evil.
Chocolate is evil! And it has nothing to do with Microsoft.

OK, I made that one up, but I did :lolflag: at your post. :)

ThrobbingBrain66
July 29th, 2007, 03:16 AM

If you liked to be on the edge, you'd be running Gutsy right now:)

There have been many crucial improvements to Ubuntu itself and the Linux kernel since Dapper. This leads to better hardware support and a better overall user experience.

swoll1980
July 29th, 2007, 03:22 AM
If you liked to be on the edge, you'd be running Gutsy right now:)

There have been many crucial improvements to Ubuntu itself and the Linux kernel since Dapper. This leads to better hardware support and a better overall user experience.

When I tried gutsy it was too unstable. The screen flickered it felt like I was at the movie theater did anyone else have this problem?

FuturePilot
July 29th, 2007, 03:36 AM
I see your point about using Dapper LTS for the stability but like others have said, people would complain about how old the software is.

swoll1980
July 29th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Chocolate is evil! And it has nothing to do with Microsoft.

OK, I made that one up, but I did :lolflag: at your post. :)

Made what up? That chocolate was evil, or that it has nothing to do with Microsoft? :)

ThrobbingBrain66
July 29th, 2007, 03:45 AM
When I tried gutsy it was too unstable. The screen flickered it felt like I was at the movie theater did anyone else have this problem?

I haven't...everything's been running really solid so far. Then again, I have an Intel card that's well-supported under Linux.

cmat
July 29th, 2007, 03:59 AM
I guess people are more interested in bashing and talking about Windows on an Ubuntu forum. :roll:

Billy_McBong
July 29th, 2007, 04:06 AM
My Vista shines and it's stable. :)

this is what started the bashing. saying windows is great, on a Ubuntu forum

and windows people are used to being on a unstable system:mrgreen:

shen-an-doah
July 29th, 2007, 04:28 AM

A computer science variation on Godwin's law, maybe?

swoll1980
July 29th, 2007, 04:36 AM
this is what started the bashing. saying windows is great, on a Ubuntu forum

and windows people are used to being on a unstable system:mrgreen:

So if you like Windows you don't belong on a Ubuntu forum. This is the problem with
Ubuntu Forums. All the damn Ubuntu fan boys running around thinking if you like Windows theres something wrong with you. I dual boot XP and Feisty they both have there pros, and cons witch is why I have both. In a perfect world all the best features from both would be integrated into one perfect super OS, but unfortunately that will never happen so I will have to settle with dual booting.
I like Ubuntu better, but if I had to choose between them I would choose Windows because in the real world I can't live with out xp Ubuntu is expendable, and something tells me that if Microsoft made it's source code public all these people that "hate Windows" would be drooling

Kayne
July 29th, 2007, 05:33 AM
To be honest, I really don't see any differences regarding stability between Dapper and Feisty, given that the system is configured properly.

original_jamingrit
July 29th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Maybe they flipped a coin?

It won't be too long before Gutsy comes out, anyways, so the changing OS aspect probably didn't factor into Dell's decision much. I'm thinking they just decided that 7.04 sounds better than 6.06.

vexorian
July 29th, 2007, 06:43 AM
my god who invited a vista troll?

hanzomon4
July 29th, 2007, 06:56 AM
I have a question, Who said that only LTS releases would be stable? LTS only means long term support so that shouldn't be taken as LTS="More Stable then You". The features introduced in Feisty where needed for desktop users like the restricted drivers manager and easy codec, add in the updated software and the reason is obvious. Feisty is much more usable for the neophyte then Dapper.

vwbeamer
July 29th, 2007, 06:56 AM
I'm still not sure why you are here, if windows is so great, why bother with Ubuntu?

My Ultimate takes all of 50 seconds from hitting the power button to getting the desktop. And it's ready to role once that desktop shows up. I just restarted it to see how long it takes. (It has been months since it has had one).

vexorian
July 30th, 2007, 05:37 AM
So if you like Windows you don't belong on a Ubuntu forum. This is the problem with
Ubuntu Forums. All the damn Ubuntu fan boys running around thinking if you like Windows theres something wrong with you. I dual boot XP and Feisty they both have there pros, and cons witch is why I have both. In a perfect world all the best features from both would be integrated into one perfect super OS, but unfortunately that will never happen so I will have to settle with dual booting.
I like Ubuntu better, but if I had to choose between them I would choose Windows because in the real world I can't live with out xp Ubuntu is expendable, and something tells me that if Microsoft made it's source code public all these people that "hate Windows" would be drooling
Hi, there's a difference between a guy that likes windows (like you) and a troll, this guy is a troll since, this thread was certainly not the topic for vista praising, as: not the place at all, and let's accept it, anyone who claims to like vista and that it beats everything in performacance, is trolling, and the guy got a vista avatar, for god's sake...

I magine if I went to some windows support forum, picked an Ubuntu avatar, and picked any random thread totally unrelated to windows vs. linux and just posted about how excellent ubuntu is against windows, besides of posting dubious benchmarks. That would make me a troll.

I like Ubuntu better, but if I had to choose between them I would choose Windows because in the real world I can't live with out xp Ubuntu is expendable, and something tells me that if Microsoft made it's source code public all these people that "hate Windows" would be drooling I think that's a pretty unrealistic view. Developers that could add a flaw in the very implementation of animated cursors that would allow people to inject code to your machine don't sound likely to make impressive source code...

--
And back on topic: the dell buiying process is very customizable, I think that for the next incarnations of the ubuntu dell there could be an option to choice between LTS and the more cutting edge one, I am sure users would like to get the call there.

Jellicletrb
July 30th, 2007, 05:48 AM
I bought a new desktop in the fall, and it had the "Vista Ready" logo, so I went ahead an accepted the freebie (Home Basic). I use it everyday.....or rather, my cat does.

He thinks the DVD jacket is quite comfy to sit on Mischief Mistoffolees - chillin' on Vista (http://shutter03.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/13/00A/53/FE/B7/9C/M-Zd6hiuplpd8czLOUXTotJo1n3W8y5E01E0.jpg)

Jhongy
July 30th, 2007, 07:40 AM
LOL!

BTW, what the heck is up with that picture? Why is the Vista box levitating, and what's with that light switch?

Back to the original topic --- IME, Feisty has been perfectly stable. Looks better, runs better/faster. Plus, things like wireless networking actually work out o the box.

Looking forward to Gutsy and the new kernel...

metallicamaster3
July 30th, 2007, 10:10 AM
I have a question, Who said that only LTS releases would be stable? LTS only means long term support so that shouldn't be taken as LTS="More Stable then You". The features introduced in Feisty where needed for desktop users like the restricted drivers manager and easy codec, add in the updated software and the reason is obvious. Feisty is much more usable for the neophyte then Dapper.

Agreed. Especially with the nVidia Restricted Drivers. It made Dual monitors a sinch from a xorg nightmare that would've been with Dapper.

swoll1980
July 30th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I understand the whole troll thing now. I thought at first someone was just taking an opertunity to start a windows bash on my post, but I see now what the whole troll thing is, and that he the vista dude was trying to start a flame war not vice versa

Jellicletrb
July 30th, 2007, 03:09 PM
LOL!

BTW, what the heck is up with that picture? Why is the Vista box levitating, and what's with that light switch?

Back to the original topic --- IME, Feisty has been perfectly stable. Looks better, runs better/faster. Plus, things like wireless networking actually work out o the box.

Looking forward to Gutsy and the new kernel...

Mischief Mistoffolees is a black cat, and personal friend of the Goddess Frigg. He can levitate boxes AND bend walls.....or maybe I just take lousy pictures :lolflag: