PDA

View Full Version : Legal Question (about books and Ebooks)

tahnok
July 28th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I've got a legal question. If I've bought a book in a book store with my money, can I download the ebook version if only I use it? I've bought the book and it would be the same as if I just typed it myself, but is it illegal?

init1
July 29th, 2007, 12:53 AM
I've got a legal question. If I've bought a book in a book store with my money, can I download the ebook version if only I use it? I've bought the book and it would be the same as if I just typed it myself, but is it illegal?
Maybe. I know with CD's, the only legal copy is on the disc you purchased. You can't rip the songs, you can't burn another disc (even for backup). It may be one of those cases where it is ethical but technically illegal.

arsenic23
July 29th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Maybe. I know with CD's, the only legal copy is on the disc you purchased. You can't rip the songs, you can't burn another disc (even for backup). It may be one of those cases where it is ethical but technically illegal.

Where do you live? In the US you can pretty much make any kind of copy of music so long as you don't distribute it.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FWE/is_7_8/ai_n6142564 ::

Under a 1992 amendment, the Audio Home Recording Act, consumers are permitted to make unlimited private use of legally purchased music and other media content stored on CD. In essence, consumers are free to copy the material so long as they do not distribute the copies to others. Consumers may make cassette copies of CDs to play in their car or copy favorite CDs onto MP3 players. They are not free to distribute the copies to others, even by giving them away. This is the limitation libraries face--they distribute the materials to others by lending them and thus are not treated as individual consumers.

smoker
July 29th, 2007, 01:08 AM
books usually have a copyright notice at the start, and most state what you can and cannot do as regards copying to another media, including electronic media. normally it is forbidden without express permission of the publisher. therefore, if you want to keep yourself right, contact the publisher.

tahnok
July 29th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I live in Canada if that helps.

keyboardashtray
July 29th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I don't see a problem - they are both text formats. Now, if you had the print book and downloaded an audio book, that would be different - the audio is a truly different form of media, and it required additional artistic contribution in the form of the reader.

Now, would the publisher tell you otherwise? Almost certainly, they would - but it wouldn't hold up in court. You've paid to use that text in any way you want, you are entitled to photocopy the whole thing, scan the whole thing, retype the whole thing, for personal use.

Edit: I'm not saying that smoker is wrong about the copyright, I'm just saying what I think you would be within your rights doing for personal use.

AlexenderReez
July 29th, 2007, 01:43 PM
i have one question here.....and this question is out of the main topic...why all my study books state

NOT FOR SALE IN THE U.S.A

OR

NOT FOR SALE IN THE U.S.A AND CANADA

i ask my lecturers and got no answer......anybody please explain :)

smoker
July 29th, 2007, 02:59 PM
probably because of something like, if the book was originally published in the usa or canada, then that particular publisher has sole rights for publication in those countries. most publishers aren't international though, and will grant rights to publish elsewhere in the world to other publishers that may be particularly strong in other markets. those publishers will be allowed to publish only in specified countries though that will exclude the country/countries with the original publishing rights.

books that state not for sale in a particular country, may be forbidden to be sold in that country due to the above. sometimes, though, books may be made freely available, eg, to educational establishments, and may not be sold due to that.

Babbage
July 29th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I live in Canada if that helps.

Oh, why didn't you say that at the start? You can copy just about anything there! In fact just crank up your CD burner, bulk buy some blank CDs and book a market stall for the weekend! :-)

init1
July 29th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Where do you live? In the US you can pretty much make any kind of copy of music so long as you don't distribute it.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FWE/is_7_8/ai_n6142564 ::
That's news to me. I live in the US, but I heard differently.

init1
July 29th, 2007, 07:19 PM
i have one question here.....and this question is out of the main topic...why all my study books state

OR

i ask my lecturers and got no answer......anybody please explain :)
They probably don't want redistribution. I don't really know.

Dimitriid
July 29th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Fair use might be legislated in your country. In mine we do not have a similar legislation but the "piracy" crime specifically says there has to be "commercial speculation" otherwise there is no criminal or administrative fault at all, so any copies you do not sell for money or otherwise a gain to yourself are perfectly legal.

Many other countries have similar legislations to this, others are more specific but still allow fair use, but it really depends on where you are.

Hex_Mandos
July 29th, 2007, 09:30 PM
IANAL (yet), but chances are you won't get a jail sentence or a fine for downloading a PDF of a book you already own. You're not damaging anybody. So unless you think the law should be worshipped and strictly followed to the last comma, I'd download it. It's not immoral.

Dimitriid: funny, in my country piracy requires stealing in the high seas (or navigable rivers). :P

tahnok
July 30th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Thanks

AndyCooll
July 30th, 2007, 03:10 AM

The simple answer to your question is no. In most countries copyright restrictions state that you can only copy a portion of a book, Even manually copying it by typing it yourself technically falls foul of copyright legislation since you are creating another copy of the item.

:cool:

AlexenderReez
July 31st, 2007, 11:16 AM
thanks all for explanation :)