PDA

View Full Version : Question about purchasing a laptop...

audax321
July 23rd, 2005, 02:15 AM
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea how long the 32-bit platform is going to last. I'm thinking about buying a laptop with an nVidia GeForce 6800 Go, but they all seem to come in laptops with Pentium M processors. I can't find an AMD 64-bit in the $1,400-$1,700 price range with an nVidia.

My problem is that I'm not sure how future proof it would be to purchase a 32-bit laptop. I want the laptop to be able to run both Ubuntu and Windows for at least the next 5-6 years. Is it a good idea to get the Pentium M or should I keep waiting?

Thanks for any input... :)

DarthBagel
July 23rd, 2005, 02:35 AM
My laptop has a Pentium-M (read my sig), and I love it. As far as I'm concerned its the best processor out there right now for notebooks. 32-bit is probably going to be around for awhile, so I'd go for a notebook with a Pentium M.

audax321
July 23rd, 2005, 03:00 AM
My laptop has a Pentium-M (read my sig), and I love it. As far as I'm concerned its the best processor out there right now for notebooks. 32-bit is probably going to be around for awhile, so I'd go for a notebook with a Pentium M.

Thats what I'm thinking. I can't believe Microsoft or Linux is just going to go drop 32-bit processors anytime soon, but my brother keeps telling me to go for 64-bit. And does anyone know how the Pentium M 1.86 Ghz compares to a Pentium 4????

benplaut
July 23rd, 2005, 03:02 AM
Thats what I'm thinking. I can't believe Microsoft or Linux is just going to go drop 32-bit processors anytime soon, but my brother keeps telling me to go for 64-bit. And does anyone know how the Pentium M 1.86 Ghz compares to a Pentium 4????

i'd say somewhere around a 2.8

i have a 1.5, and the performance is more than enough for anything i've put at it.

look into the AMD Turion, as well ;-)

ubuntu_demon
July 23rd, 2005, 03:05 AM
as long as cpu's that you can buy are 32 bit and as long as most software you can get is 32 bit you don't have to worry about it. So unless you need 64 bit for some scientific computing software I wouldn't recommend it (nothing against it too but I wouldn't RUN 64 bit just yet and emulating 32 bit on a 64 bit cpu is a bit lame :-P)

Also I would get an HP laptop. HP is the only laptop manufacturer that actively tries to make their laptops work with Ubuntu. (also their printers work perfectly)

jerome bettis
July 23rd, 2005, 03:21 AM
definately get the pentium M .. heat and power consumption are important things to keep in mind when looking at a laptop.

audax321
July 23rd, 2005, 03:23 AM
I looked into HP, but all their laptops seem to be ATI only. I have nothing against ATI, but I don't want to deal with their linux drivers. They just don't perform as good as their windows drivers and are a pain to install on some distros. If I get anything, it'll probably be a Dell Inspiron 9300.

benplaut
July 23rd, 2005, 03:37 AM
I looked into HP, but all their laptops seem to be ATI only. I have nothing against ATI, but I don't want to deal with their linux drivers. They just don't perform as good as their windows drivers and are a pain to install on some distros. If I get anything, it'll probably be a Dell Inspiron 9300.

first of all, stay far, far away from dells... they break :mad:

ATi on newer cards isn't actually so bad... but check to see if new ATi drivers support the card

audax321
July 23rd, 2005, 04:00 AM
What breaks on them? Is it bad hardware or bad construction? I always heard Dell made good laptops, is there anything to back this up?

kiddo
July 23rd, 2005, 04:04 AM
first of all, stay far, far away from dells... they breakPlease explain this to me, I'm really really curious about finding between HP and Dell, which one has a better rating. I mean people say Dells break. And I find they're the most reliable I've seen. Besides I'm writing this on a five years old "bought from a friend" laptop. Everything is working perfect with my 256mb of ram (THAT was friggin difficult to find, with the cd drive) and my 600mHz speedstep P3. I'd like an nvidia inside, but oh well.

The ONLY thing broken on this laptop is the friggin' left screen hinge (ductape to the rescue.. not so esthetic). And it seems Dell are still too stupid to change the screen pivot mechanism, even on their last line of laptops I see the same thing. Otherwise, it's working fine, though HP's support of open source attracts me.

Edit: hey I just found this.. *digs* http://perljam.net/geek/dell-laptop-hinge-repair/

And I'd like to clarify this for me if you can: since HP bought Compaq (and if you buy a Compaq notebook nowadays, you'll notice it has an HP power supply and drive), does that make Compaq viable? I remember before that Compaqs were a total piece of sh... My friend's notebook, three years old, had the AMD cpu actually MELT inside. When he cleaned by unsoldering stuff and adding a decent thermal paste, it stopped being unstable. Other than that, the network jack is funky. And so is the screen. Now that's what really scares me when I'm thinking of HP: did HP make Compaq better? Did Compaq infect HP (don't think so)? Did nothing change and Compaq laptops are still not up to HP laptops?

Besides, I've been walking around here in Hong Kong. I found stuff that I never thought existed: Fujitsu/Panasonic/Mitsubishi/etc laptops. Seems like EVERYONE is doing laptops/TV/dvd players/cars/LCD screens/anime sponsoring!

Sorry for the long post.

poofyhairguy
July 23rd, 2005, 04:12 AM

You just have to get the right HP:

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050512_124421.html

Works 100% with Ubuntu.

As far as the Pentium M goes....its Intel's best chip. 64 bit computing is the future....but the future is a long time away, Both Linux and Windows 64 bit sucks right now in many ways.

If you were getting a desktop I would say differently...but those Pentium Ms get GREAT battery life...

Sounds good to me. Apple switched to Intel for those Pentium 4 chips. Your bro is a technocrat (me too)- says the fastest is always the best.

Not true with laptops.

DarthBagel
July 23rd, 2005, 04:16 AM
And I'd like to clarify this for me if you can: since HP bought Compaq (and if you buy a Compaq notebook nowadays, you'll notice it has an HP power supply and drive), does that make Compaq viable? I remember before that Compaqs were a total piece of sh... My friend's notebook, three years old, had the AMD cpu actually MELT inside. When he cleaned by unsoldering stuff and adding a decent thermal paste, it stopped being unstable. Other than that, the network jack is funky. And so is the screen. Now that's what really scares me when I'm thinking of HP: did HP make Compaq better? Did Compaq infect HP (don't think so)? Did nothing change and Compaq laptops are still not up to HP laptops?

I've heard the same thing of compaqs, but my compaq lappy (bought after the merger) does fine. It survives going to school in my backpack with all of my books and stuff (I'm to cheap to buy a real case for it). I have no complaints.

matthew
July 23rd, 2005, 04:58 AM
My advice: get a Pentium M for a laptop...great battery life and it's fast. Mine is 1.8 GHz and it is at least as fast as my wife's fairly new P4 desktop.