PDA

View Full Version : Someone doesnt like Mark!

StueyB
July 28th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I was just surfing, and I came across this. Its pretty rude, as in derogotory to him. I think the author must be on drugs, and the site used to be a good site, but I wont be visiting it anymore.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/27/shuttleworth_oscon_ubuntu/

maniacmusician
July 28th, 2007, 07:09 PM
don't be such a fanboy. Of course some people don't like mark. He's not a saint, for crying out loud, and he's not god. He's just a person; a good guy by all means, but that's all.

PS: I just read the article. Are your screws on right?

tehkain
July 28th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Wait what? I found that funny, they are not insulting Mark. The whole animal thing is the author jokingly saying "Wow. There is no way this person is as awesome as he seems, so he must be an evil sociopath killing penguins in a dungeon!'. It is not serous.... and it makes for a fun read.

starcraft.man
July 28th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I think he was referring to page two of that article Maniac... almost missed the two at the bottom.

Animal abuse

Shuttleworth stands as a very troubling figure from our point of view. It's very difficult to be cynical about a man who got rich and then decided to use his wealth to bring free software to the masses. Hell, he's even been to space, which stands as a redeeming quality in any circle that touches on the geek.

The man proves charming enough in person. He's got a laid back manner. He's polite. He answers questions directly. He seems to have the ego well in check.

Still, we're pretty sure a dark backroom exists at the Canonical headquarters where Shuttleworth personally oversees the torture of caged wombats and penguins. If pushed, we'd swear that he delights in gluing the poor creatures together.

If Shuttleworth is, in fact, not abusing cute animals, then he's been busy denying Microsoft's advances to sign a Novell/XenSource/Linspire-like intellectual property and collaboration deal.

"They have approached us, but there is just no way we would accept the terms," he said. "Everything suggests those deals were entered into on terms that would be unacceptable to our community and to us."

Shuttleworth urged that it's crucial not "to paint a company as evil." However, he did say that Microsoft has an "extortion habit that simply won't go anymore."

It's Shuttleworth's vast wealth that, in part, lets him ignore Microsoft's overtures. And it's that same wealth which inspired Shuttleworth to take on the languishing Linux desktop in the first place.

"I am in the very lucky position that I've tasted what it's like not to work," he said. "I get very bored.

"So, there is this very big mountain that has never been climbed before [making a Linux distro that grandma can use], and it's daunting, but, as a result, I respect it. I don't dabble. I take it seriously. If you're going to the climb the mountain, you should do it damn well."

Is that what you tell the penguins, Mark? Is that what you tell them when their eyes swell with tears made of blood? ®

I guess he was trying to be funny, bleh... wasn't that good. Just making fun that he can't find any dirt on him I guess.

Anyway, it's just the Register...

needtolookatascreenshot
July 28th, 2007, 07:20 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=519877

maniacmusician
July 28th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I think he was referring to page two of that article Maniac... almost missed the two at the bottom.

That's why I asked if his screws were on right; the article was obviously an attempt (albeit a relatively poor one) at humor, not an insult.

starcraft.man
July 28th, 2007, 07:41 PM
That's why I asked if his screws were on right; the article was obviously an attempt (albeit a relatively poor one) at humor, not an insult.

Aye, hope the author has better lines regularly... Off I go, time to make rounds of my news sites.

fuscia
July 28th, 2007, 08:05 PM
who uses a wombat for a mascot?

Frak
July 28th, 2007, 08:15 PM
who uses a wombat for a mascot?
Wombatix.

smoker
July 28th, 2007, 09:20 PM
wonder what type of glue he uses?

Frak
July 28th, 2007, 09:34 PM
wonder what type of glue he uses?
High fume edition ;)

BOBSONATOR
July 28th, 2007, 09:58 PM
^^nope.

sudo apt-get install glue libglue-2.4

smoker
July 28th, 2007, 10:26 PM
High fume edition ;)

:-) :-) :-):lolflag:

Tux Aubrey
July 29th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Leave wombats alone, please

http://ubuntuforums.org/g/images/167727/1_fatsoUbuntu.png

kostkon
July 29th, 2007, 01:46 AM
It's clear that the author tried to be funny, OK.

Nevertheless, from the article I learned about the Launchpad Personal Package Archives (PPAs) which is a great idea!!!

I think I ought to go to the Ubuntu Live 2007 site in order to get informed about everything that had been said there.

Leave wombats alone, please

http://ubuntuforums.org/g/images/167727/1_fatsoUbuntu.png

LOOOOL!!!