PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft vs. Linux

wpshooter
July 28th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I just found the below line elsewhere on the web.

Does this mean that I may just be wasting my time on Ubuntu ??? This sort of concerns me !!!

Is there any place to see what the developers of Ubuntu's take is on a statement like this ?

Novell's patent deal with Microsoft in November 2006 seemingly legitimised Microsoft's intellectual property claims over Linux;

Thanks.

Adamant1988
July 28th, 2007, 04:52 PM
/facepalm.

Aysiu, where are you when we need you?

init1
July 28th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I just found the below line elsewhere on the web.

Does this mean that I may just be wasting my time on Ubuntu ??? This sort of concerns me !!!

Is there any place to see what the developers of Ubuntu's take is on a statement like this ?

Novell's patent deal with Microsoft in November 2006 seemingly legitimised Microsoft's intellectual property claims over Linux;

Thanks.
No. The deals say that the proprietary distros are giving in to fear. If Linux does prove to be in violation of MS patents, I'll use it anyway.

wpshooter
July 28th, 2007, 05:35 PM
No. The deals say that the proprietary distros are giving in to fear. If Linux does prove to be in violation of MS patents, I'll use it anyway.

When you say you will use it anyway, can I read that as you will PAY for using it ?

Thanks.

FuturePilot
July 28th, 2007, 05:36 PM
As I understand it the only thing that deal did was offer protection if MS ever brought a lawsuit against Linux. But I wouldn't worry about it because MS would have to show their code if they wanted to prove any IP violations which would probably never happen. And it's all a bunch of FUD anyway. I really wouldn't worry about it.

runningwithscissors
July 28th, 2007, 05:40 PM
When you say you will use it anyway, can I read that as you will PAY for using it ?

Thanks.
Sure I will. I'll pay them exactly as much as I used to back when I terrorised the high seas.

Yarrr!

Adamant1988
July 28th, 2007, 05:43 PM
First of all... Linux does validate hundreds of non-validated patents, but even one of them being validated is enough to be serious problems for ANY American distribution.

The deals did not provide protection for the company, it provided protection for the users. Meaning that Novell, and Microsoft can still go to court if they want to, just they have to keep the users out of the cross-fire. Mind you the primary purpose behind the deals was interoperability, but never mind that.

starcraft.man
July 28th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Mind you the primary purpose behind the deals was interoperability, but never mind that.

This may be true from Novell's POV (they've no interest in acknowledging the patents) but Microsoft certainly doesn't think like this. In all their deals it seems to me they've linked IP and Interoperability together.

nick.inspiron6400
July 28th, 2007, 07:40 PM
The deal was for Microsoft to be able to have Windows working well with Linux. And to make it easier to have Linux servers and Windows desktops.

Novell & RedHat should try and cut deals so that if you have Linux servers, you should have Linux desktops.

izanbardprince
July 28th, 2007, 11:04 PM
The patent system in the US is ridiculous, you just have to have an idea, no matter hopw obvious it was, be the first one to the patent office with it, then you never even have to plan on doing anything with it.

Like if I went back right before there were video game consoles and took out a patent covering "A device with a joystick and buttons that sends electronic impulses to a receiving computer", then anyone who developed a joystick would owe me money.

AndyCooll
July 29th, 2007, 12:36 AM
This may be true from Novell's POV (they've no interest in acknowledging the patents) but Microsoft certainly doesn't think like this. In all their deals it seems to me they've linked IP and Interoperability together.

As you say Microsoft link IP and interoperability together. However in reality they'll struggle to link such the two together, especially in Europe where IP has no legal standing. And as has been pointed out such deals have provide no real protection and those who think so are somewhat misguided.

:cool:

init1
July 29th, 2007, 12:45 AM

Thanks.
Nope. I won't. I'm to cheap to pay. I don't care if it's a copyright infringement.

Epilonsama
July 29th, 2007, 12:54 AM
The patent system in the US is ridiculous, you just have to have an idea, no matter hopw obvious it was, be the first one to the patent office with it, then you never even have to plan on doing anything with it.

Like if I went back right before there were video game consoles and took out a patent covering "A device with a joystick and buttons that sends electronic impulses to a receiving computer", then anyone who developed a joystick would owe me money.

Yep thats how it is, but it cannot last forever cuz after certain years the invention most of the time ends up in the Public Domain.

DoctorMO
July 29th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Well the GPL has a death clause in it; if you can't distribute the code without restriction (with Microsoft fee etc) then you are not free to redistribute the code at all. It means that anything that had legal bases would simply disappear and you'd never see it again.

On the other hand Microsofts patent claims are foundless and baseless; they've deliberately tried to play the Linux community into a trap and I urge Red Hat, Ubuntu etc to avoid these kinds of agreements like the plague they are. (not least because they won't be able to distribute GPLv3 software any more)

Yep thats how it is, but it cannot last forever cuz after certain years the invention most of the time ends up in the Public Domain.

All patents are already in the Public Domain from the very moment they are approved. Public Domain is for copyright not patents. it's a mistake to confuse this issue by dragging in copyrights. if any gnu or linux project felt they had copyright infringement they'd rip the offending code out and fix the hole.

kamaboko
July 29th, 2007, 02:23 AM
On the other hand Microsofts patent claims are foundless and baseless.

How would you know that? Have you been sitting in on discussions b/t MS and other software companies? Do you have an inside connection to the US Patent Office?

init1
July 29th, 2007, 07:38 AM
How would you know that? Have you been sitting in on discussions b/t MS and other software companies? Do you have an inside connection to the US Patent Office?
We don't know, but we can make a good guess. If it's that bad, I don't know why they haven't actually said what patents were violated.

Spr0k3t
July 29th, 2007, 08:04 AM

Until MS releases the patent details of what is being imposed, the statements they have are baseless.

To answer the OP... I would rather be required to pay for Linux than to use Windows for free. If MS paid me to use Windows, I would still prefer the aforementioned.