PDA

View Full Version : PC=Windows, Mac =IMAC/Apple ...LINUX/UBUNTU = ?

byen
July 23rd, 2005, 01:14 AM
Ok. Im not great with terminology so please forgive me if I messed the title up...but my Question for you guys is this:
We call a computer with windows a PC/Laptop/Notebook
Apple uses Macintosh and some call it an I-MAC/I-Book

so what would you call a computer/laptop with Linux /Ubuntu .... isnt it time for some universal identity? what do you think..what should we call em?

BWF89
July 23rd, 2005, 01:17 AM
We call a PC with Linux a PC.

PC is just an arcitecture developed by IBM and licenced to a bunch of hardware companies. Just like how Sparc is an arcitecture developed by Sun Microsystems but you can also run several Linux distributions on it. We don't come up with a different name for every type of arcitecture for every type of OS you can install on it.

The fact that most people assioate the word PC with Microsoft Windows is a problem on their part.

maruchan
July 23rd, 2005, 01:20 AM
Noooooooo! ](*,) Don't call a computer with Windows a PC! It makes you sound like an idiot!

I was at a meeting today wherein two people kept referring to a computer running Microsoft Windows as a "PC", talking about how Macs didn't have any "pop up windows", blah blah blah....

Afterwards, the rest of us who were at the meeting agreed that these two were idiots as far as things technical are concerned. Any semi-technical Mac user would have been ashamed.

byen
July 23rd, 2005, 01:32 AM
We call a PC with Linux a PC.
The fact that most people assioate the word PC with Microsoft Windows is a problem on their part

Noooooooo! Don't call a computer with Windows a PC! It makes you sound like an idiot!

ok. I totally agree with you guys....but would you call software developers/companies who make software and label the product as PC-only? or "PC" "Mac" and "linux" idiots as well . And I am not talking about one product or one company... would I still be considered as an Idiot for assuming that the PC-market (to me all computers are PC's) has tagged this label to windows users in general? and specifically marking other OS's if need be?

Kvark
July 23rd, 2005, 01:36 AM
The software, including OS, that runs on a computer has nothing to do with what type of computer the hardware is.

A PC is always a PC no matter what OS you install on it and a mac is always a mac no matter what you install on that.

If you intend to identify a computer based on the OS it runs then use the OS names windows/linux/osx/etc...

But labeling windows programs as PC programs is true since they do run on a PC. Labelling linux programs as PC would also be perfectly fine as those can run on a PC as well, but in this case you would want to clarify for stupid windows users that you mean a PC running linux.

And assuming that a windows computer is a PC is fairly safe, I doubt anyone is running windows on a mac or gaming console.

BWF89
July 23rd, 2005, 01:39 AM
ok. I totally agree with you guys....but would you call software developers/companies who make software and label the product as PC-only? or "PC" "Mac" and "linux" idiots as well . And I am not talking about one product or one company... would I still be considered as an Idiot for assuming that the PC-market (to me all computers are PC's) has tagged this label to windows users in general? and specifically marking other OS's if need be?
I know what you mean. I've been thinking of writing a letter to the editors of Gamepro magazine (it's a multi-platform videogame magazine) asking them to mark the computer games they review as Windows games instead of PC games.

Also, some videogames like Knights of the Old Republic are avalible for Macintosh OSX but Gamepro didn't even acknoledge this. That makes me kinda mad eventhough I don't use a Mac.

byen
July 23rd, 2005, 01:45 AM
dude. As i said before I dont really care about this issue as it seems trivial and opinion based. But as you said..when you see games, software etc marked pc... more often than not they mean PC=Windows. So that got me wondering if there was a term used for linux based PCs.... didnt know "idiot" was the term they gave to someone who wondered why/if.... LOL... damn!

Kyral
July 23rd, 2005, 01:46 AM
Gaming Mags are biased b/c MS pays them.....or soemthing like that

benplaut
July 23rd, 2005, 02:00 AM
soon, all of this will be cleared up, becuase soon Windows computers aren't going to be "Personal Computer", but instead, "Media Center"

Welcome to the age of McMicrosoft! :roll:

az
July 23rd, 2005, 02:08 AM
A linux computer, regardless of the architiecture on which it runs, is called a gnu/linux computer. GNU is the programs that make up the OS (GNU's not Unix) and linux is the kernel that abstracts those programs from the architecture.

Welcome to unix.

poofyhairguy
July 23rd, 2005, 03:57 AM
Ubuntu= awesome

A Windows box, an Apple box, and an Ubuntu box are all personal computers. PC is a bad term anyway, it can be confused with politically correct.

Oh well....there is a word for what you want:

Gnu

Ubuntu and Linux are Gnu. Gnu systems.

newbie2
July 23rd, 2005, 12:01 PM
LONGHORN = VISTA = Verifiably Inferior System To Apple's
:razz: :razz: :razz:
u guys should look more at Apple's progress...they made several good innovations (for example i remember that they were the first who made 'shadows' on the window frames,some kind of '3D effect'...nowadays M$-vista is gonna copie several things from them...that is how micro$uck works... :roll:

"The Apple switch to Intel deserves comment. Comment has suggested that this is due to Apple disappointment with the G5 (particularly IBM's inability to deliver a G5 for Apple's laptops). It may be a factor, but I doubt it.
What I believe is this:
Steve Jobs looked at the PC market (Dell, HP, Sony, Lenovo, Acer, etc) and thought:
"None of these companies innovates in any significant way. Apple does (and not just in software). We can beat them. If Apple runs on Intel, you can load Windows (in a partition) and you can load Linux (in a partition), but it will still be an Apple booting OS X. Nobody else will be able to do that. We can have a much bigger market. More developers too."
And also there are two chip manufacturers that can compete for Apple's business.
So I offer a new (and very early) prediction. Apple is going to change the dynamics of the PC market — its dramatic growth rate will persist once it moves to Intel. Watch it happen."
http://www.it-analysis.com/article.php?articleid=12817&SESSID=9174d77384408c36c3caf2e5f8ded7fc

mad_alfred
August 2nd, 2005, 01:02 PM
u guys should look more at Apple's progress...they made several good innovations (for example i remember that they were the first who made 'shadows' on the window frames,some kind of '3D effect'...nowadays M$-vista is gonna copie several things from them...that is how micro$uck works... :roll:

"The Apple switch to Intel deserves comment. Comment has suggested that this is due to Apple disappointment with the G5 (particularly IBM's inability to deliver a G5 for Apple's laptops). It may be a factor, but I doubt it.
What I believe is this:
Steve Jobs looked at the PC market (Dell, HP, Sony, Lenovo, Acer, etc) and thought:
"None of these companies innovates in any significant way. Apple does (and not just in software). We can beat them. If Apple runs on Intel, you can load Windows (in a partition) and you can load Linux (in a partition), but it will still be an Apple booting OS X. Nobody else will be able to do that. We can have a much bigger market. More developers too."
And also there are two chip manufacturers that can compete for Apple's business.
So I offer a new (and very early) prediction. Apple is going to change the dynamics of the PC market — its dramatic growth rate will persist once it moves to Intel. Watch it happen."
http://www.it-analysis.com/article.php?articleid=12817&SESSID=9174d77384408c36c3caf2e5f8ded7fc
I'd call it tuxbox...

Takis
August 2nd, 2005, 02:07 PM
Ubuntu= awesome
Heheh - pwned.

A PC would generally be an old x86-based computer. Windows is associated with these because x86 is the only architecture Windows will run on. OS X is associated with Macs because that's the only architecture it'll run on (unless there's some porting going on, which due to natural curiousity I'm sure there is). Ubuntu, like anything using a reasonably standard Linux kernel, can go on a variety of architectures and thus can't be associated with a single machine style.

Go with poofyhairguy's suggestion. :grin:

Brunellus
August 2nd, 2005, 03:04 PM

What I believe is this:
apple's progress is due in part to their ability to lock-down their software to their hardware (thus limiting the hardware support-headaches we linux users constantly have). That level of integration saves them a lot of effort and lets them concentrate on other priorities, like UI.

I have to admit, it's an elegant way to approach the resource-allocation problem--they do turn out an excellent product. But it isn't as free or as cheap as GNU/Linux...

Omnios
August 2nd, 2005, 04:03 PM
Linux= Replacement for you favorit childhood Toybox now that your all grown up!

N'Jal
August 2nd, 2005, 04:28 PM
Linux= Replacement for you favorit childhood Toybox now that your all grown up! I like it!

Ok a PC is a personal computer right? There for window's, Mac OS and Linux are all personal computers, however an Apple Mac is not a PC, somewhere along the line PC became the term for Window's/IBM (and compatible systems). While this sucks it's true, Windows and Linux are PC, Mac is Personal computer.

However on games there is often PC CD/DVD-ROM writen at the top of the game covers in england, i can confirm i have seen MAC CD-ROM and even PC/Mac CD-ROM at the top of some games but never GNU/Linux CD-ROM, though on some games like unreal tournement i have seen a tiny picture of tux on the back its either 2003, 2004 or 2005 (if there even is a 2005). Games where i have seem the tux i have come to call them penguin friendly...

poofyhairguy
August 2nd, 2005, 11:41 PM
Games where i have seem the tux i have come to call them penguin friendly...

RMS might want to hit me on the head for saying this....but the penguin has become the symbol of the Gnu operating system. More so than the Gnu.