PDA

View Full Version : PS3 HDD to come preinstalled with Linux

BWF89
July 23rd, 2005, 12:17 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/09/news_6127219.html

Accordian to this article when you buy the HDD (hard disk drive) for the Playstation 3 it will come preinstalled with Linux.

Now not many people bought the HDD for PS2 and the ones that did certainly got ripped off. Mostly because it promoced that you could do alot of things with it but they all got scraped at the last minute. But this time around the HDD for PS3 is probably going to be offered a few months if not during the PS3 launch and since it comes with a fully featured OS on it and when people slide it into their PS3 their it will basically become a computer.

So if the PS3 HDD ends up shipping with Linux preinstalled which is a good thing since Microsoft wouldn't let them put Windows on it and Linux is open source so they won't have to pay royalities for every HDD with Linux sold does this mean that there will be a massive increase in the number of people that are useing Linux worldwide? If so this means that Richard Stallman's vision an operating system made entirely out of "free software" on every desktkop may not be as far away as we all thought.

NoTiG
July 23rd, 2005, 12:31 AM
Its interesting to think about. I wonder what kind of linux it will be.. RPM based? debian? ANyone who buys a PS3 and DOESNT buy a hard drive with it would be a fool, because they are basically throwing away a very good computer IMO.

What is the expected amount that will be sold? How many PS2 have been sold?

TravisNewman
July 23rd, 2005, 12:31 AM
old news ;) But yeah, it's pretty sweet isn't it?

BWF89
July 23rd, 2005, 12:40 AM
Its interesting to think about. I wonder what kind of linux it will be.. RPM based? debian? ANyone who buys a PS3 and DOESNT buy a hard drive with it would be a fool, because they are basically throwing away a very good computer IMO.

What is the expected amount that will be sold? How many PS2 have been sold?
Well the Official Linux kit supported by Sony for sale on the PS2 was based on a Japaneese distro based on the RedHat distro. So if history is any indication of the future then it will most likely be RPM based.
Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS2_Linux

Accordian to Wikipedia over 90 million PS2's have been sold
Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2

old news ;) But yeah, it's pretty sweet isn't it?
And if PS3 HDD is shipped with Linux that means that more people will be developing/porting existing software over to the Linux and more hardware companies will be creating Linux drivers for their printers, scanners, and digital cameras. So if the PS3 HDD ships with Linux preinstalled it will befefit everyone in the the entire OSS/Linux community reguardless of whether they have touched a controller in your life.

MetalMusicAddict
July 23rd, 2005, 01:23 AM
What is the expected amount that will be sold?
I heard $400 US. I always thought It would be awesome to have Sony Linux on one of their awesome laptop/desktops. I love their Xbrite screens.

Could you imagine a Sony Linux? :) I would like to think it would come all eye-candified. Not as "open" as a normal distro but I would like to see what they could do. What do you think?

*DO NOT* turn this into a big intellectual property-copyright-DRM-whatever rant. ;)

IF Sony were to make their PCs with Linux what would you like to see?

Also has anyone hear played with the PS2 one?

poofyhairguy
July 23rd, 2005, 03:54 AM
I heard $400 US. I always thought It would be awesome to have Sony Linux on one of their awesome laptop/desktops. I love their Xbrite screens.

Could you imagine a Sony Linux? :) I would like to think it would come all eye-candified. Not as "open" as a normal distro but I would like to see what they could do. What do you think?

I have a Viao. I promise Sony will never make a Linux, because they can't twist it like they like to do. Now a Sony Bsd...

BWF89
July 23rd, 2005, 08:46 PM
I have a Viao. I promise Sony will never make a Linux, because they can't twist it like they like to do. Now a Sony Bsd...
My friend got a Vaio this winter. His parents had to return the computer 5 times until they got one that worked.

I'm suprised this thread isn't swamped with posts. Everybody on these forums was like "OMG MORE PEOPLE SHOULD USE LINUX" at one time or another. Then when it is possible for tens of millions of people to have it in their homes nobody says anything.

MetalMusicAddict
July 23rd, 2005, 11:05 PM
My friend got a Vaio this winter. His parents had to return the computer 5 times until they got one that worked.
Really? Wow. That sux. Every time Im in Best Buy or CompUSA I play with their new ones with the Xbrite screen. Man. Gnome would look SO good on 'em. Maybe they will let me boot up a live cd. :)

poofyhairguy
July 24th, 2005, 04:06 AM
Really? Wow. That sux. Every time Im in Best Buy or CompUSA I play with their new ones with the Xbrite screen. Man. Gnome would look SO good on 'em. Maybe they will let me boot up a live cd. :)

Sony's monitors are the best.

The other hardware is the worst (minus game systems).

qalimas
July 24th, 2005, 02:43 PM
I've pretty much been with Nintendo in the console wars, I still won't get a PS3.

But, great idea Sony!! I'd love to see this happen, it'll take away my hatred for them forever :D

MetalMusicAddict
July 24th, 2005, 03:06 PM
The other hardware is the worst (minus game systems).
What have you read/seen? Kinda a bummer to know but I will SO be buying a PS3. The new Nintendo system looks cool also. I like that you will be able to download their old games and play 'em.

psoleko
July 24th, 2005, 06:20 PM
There was a good interview with Sarah Ewen on Lugradio.org, she is the lead on linux on the PS2 at SCEA. For more information, see http://playstation2-linux.com/. She did mention that she knew about as much about linux on the PS3 as the general public knows so no news there, but a great interview nontheless about Sony and Linux.

MetalMusicAddict
July 24th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Nice. Thanx for the link.

BWF89
July 25th, 2005, 04:45 AM
What have you read/seen? Kinda a bummer to know but I will SO be buying a PS3. The new Nintendo system looks cool also. I like that you will be able to download their old games and play 'em.
Only the non-techno masses will actually pay to get the old NES and SNES games. The rest of us just download the ROMS and emulators :) .

psoleko
July 25th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Only the non-techno masses will actually pay to get the old NES and SNES games. The rest of us just download the ROMS and emulators :) .
And install them on Hacked PSPs. :)

MetalMusicAddict
July 25th, 2005, 04:55 AM
Yea, I know. I have a S-load of roms also but theres something to not have to config everything needed to make the emu's work right. Sometimes theres just too much hastle. ;) Also its nice to be legal. :) Has anyone seen pricing on their "rom, whatever" service?

BWF89
July 25th, 2005, 05:01 AM
And install them on Hacked PSPs. :)
I have every NES game and every Sega Genesis / Megadrive game on 2 discs for my Dreamcast.

Yea, I know. I have a S-load of roms also but theres something to not have to config everything needed to make the emu's work right. Sometimes theres just too much hastle. ;) Also its nice to be legal. :) Has anyone seen pricing on their "rom, whatever" service?
I think it's a flat monthly rate of 7 bucks.

benplaut
July 25th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Maybe they will let me boot up a live cd. :)

i am so tempted sometimes to boot up one of the demo machines at Costco to a live CD... and leave it there :twisted:

MetalMusicAddict
July 25th, 2005, 05:17 AM
i am so tempted sometimes to boot up one of the demo machines at Costco to a live CD... and leave it there :twisted:
HA! I think next time I go to Best Buy Im bringing a Live CD. ;) See if those Sonys can handle it.

benplaut
July 25th, 2005, 05:21 AM
HA! I think next time I go to Best Buy Im bringing a Live CD. ;) See if those Sonys can handle it.

don't they lock up the computers at bestbuy?

MetalMusicAddict
July 25th, 2005, 05:25 AM
don't they lock up the computers at bestbuy?
Ill ask to do it ;) but I dont think all of 'em.