I was the first in line to see the Simpson Movie here in Utah,

I loved it...

What are your thoughts on the movie?

bread eyes
July 28th, 2007, 02:33 AM
They sure advertised it a lot.

init1
July 28th, 2007, 02:34 AM
It was good. There were parts where my stomach hurt because I was laughing so hard, but other parts where it was uneventful. I would give it a 7/10. The best part was the skateboarding scene.

init1
July 28th, 2007, 02:35 AM
They sure advertised it a lot.
Yeah, I didn't like that. Good movie though.

nickburns
I will laugh for days thinking of the skate board scene....

rfruth
Haven't seen it yet but no option for that on the poll ...

init1
July 28th, 2007, 02:38 AM
I was the first in line to see the Simpson Movie here in Utah,

I loved it...

What are your thoughts on the movie?
Are you a big Simpsons fan? I have the 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th seasons on DVD.

nickburns
July 28th, 2007, 02:43 AM
My whole family is really into the Simpsons, I think it is a very good show. I like the political humor and satire. I actually let me kids watch it each day, and we always have some discussion after the episode.

init1
July 28th, 2007, 02:59 AM
My whole family is really into the Simpsons, I think it is a very good show. I like the political humor and satire. I actually let me kids watch it each day, and we always have some discussion after the episode.
It has really evolved in the years. The first season episodes are nothing like the current ones.

juxtaposed
July 28th, 2007, 03:03 AM
I havn't seen it yet (waiting for something better then a camera phone version :P), though IMDB gives it a rating of 8.9/10 which is really high (slightly lower then the godfather). I wonder if it is actually that good (maybe people from fox spammed it with 10/10 ratings) or if the rating will go down sometime...

arashiko28
July 28th, 2007, 03:09 AM
I was on the front line here in DR for the opening and spend the whole movie laughing, in a time i laughed so hard that the others laughed because of it. I loved it and want to see it again.:lolflag:

Billy_McBong
July 28th, 2007, 03:20 AM
it was AMAZING!!!!!!!
i think it makes up for the decline of the show in the past couple years
and what happened after the credits? i left before they ended:(,

init1
July 28th, 2007, 03:42 AM
it was AMAZING!!!!!!!
i think it makes up for the decline of the show in the past couple years
and what happened after the credits? i left before they ended:(,
They had the family commenting about stuff. You didn't really miss much. There may have been more, I don't know.

@trophy
July 28th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Best... movie... EVER!!!

Depressed Man
July 28th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I thought it was funny enough that even if your not a Simpsons fan you'll laugh alot.

tigerpants
July 28th, 2007, 05:06 PM

It used to be funny and satirical, but seems to have run out of targets. Some of its portrayals of countries such as China and Russia have not be so much satirical as biggoted and bordering racist.

All shows lose their edge after awhile. In music, its known as Pink Floyd syndrome - where an artist becomes so successful and rich and fat that it attains a state where it can release any old crap and knows it will sell regardless.

Depressed Man
July 28th, 2007, 05:20 PM
They had the family commenting about stuff. You didn't really miss much. There may have been more, I don't know.

If anyone doesn't mind spoilers I can list what I saw. So..

SPOILERS

There was the Simpsons sitting in the theather talking about the movie, then Maggie says her first words. "Sequel?". Then later on the pimple faced kid walks around mopping the floor and says "being an assistant manager is hard work". For me, at this time, workers were in the movie cleaning up the floor lol.

init1
July 28th, 2007, 05:23 PM
If anyone doesn't mind spoilers I can list what I saw. So..

SPOILERS

There was the Simpsons sitting in the theather talking about the movie, then Maggie says her first words. "Sequel?". Then later on the pimple faced kid walks around mopping the floor and says "being an assistant manager is hard work". For me, at this time, workers were in the movie cleaning up the floor lol.
I saw the first part, but not the second. I'll just see it when it comes out on DVD :D

keyboardashtray
July 28th, 2007, 05:48 PM
All shows lose their edge after awhile. In music, its known as Pink Floyd syndrome - where an artist becomes so successful and rich and fat that it attains a state where it can release any old crap and knows it will sell regardless.

What?! Pink Floyd syndrome? :confused:

Ok, Final Cut thru Division Bell sucked, I agree, but I don't agree whatsoever with Pink Floyd being the poster child for legendary bands going crap - at least they never teamed up with P-Diddy (*cough* Paige) or released full blown eighties pop (*sniff* every Beatle) or did any ads (*sneeze* Dylan).

And I'm gonna call shenanigans on "Pink Floyd Syndrome" being any form of a known phrase: I did a search and it didn't turn up any reference on the first few entries.

I agree Simpsons and Floyds later work is questionable, though.

jpkotta
July 28th, 2007, 09:03 PM
<comic guy voice>I believe Maggie's first word was "Daddy" in "Lisa's First Word" in the 4th season.</comic guy voice>

It's better than the current episodes, but not as good as the heyday of the show. It's no "Itchy and Scratchy: The Movie".

Frak
July 28th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I thought it was hilarious, IMHO.

Bungo Pony
July 29th, 2007, 12:54 AM
What?! Pink Floyd syndrome?

I thought it was called "Frank Senatra Syndrome". If Frank released an album of his flatulence, it would be a classic.

Chilli Bob
July 29th, 2007, 02:28 AM
For me the Simpson's movie was funny, but not hilarious the way the South Park Movie was.

Except the skateboard scene. I almost died laughing.

Frak
July 29th, 2007, 03:58 AM
I thought it was called "Frank Senatra Syndrome". If Frank released an album of his flatulence, it would be a classic.
"Puttin out the Ritz" :lolflag:

original_jamingrit
July 29th, 2007, 04:57 AM
There was way too much advertising. The past few seasons haven't been great. I went to see it with a few more enthusiastic friends, and I had low expectations.

That being said, it was a lot better than I expected, and I liked it a lot.

RAV TUX
July 29th, 2007, 04:59 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but I saw the previews and it looks hilarious.

keyboardashtray
July 30th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Man, I hate to be a negative ninny, but I hated it - I was really going in open minded, after being sorely disappointed by the last few seasons, I thought, they'll pull out the big guns and get it right. I found it to be more of the same we've been seeing in the series for the last few years.

They should have gotten some of the old writers. It's hard to explain what I didn't like without giving direct spoilers, but since I'm the only "Hated it" vote so far I'll try.

Minor and extra minor characters from the series almost have the feel of having "cameos" in the movie, when they show up it is forced, like "oh there's Barney! He got his line in!" And even though they do this, apart from the mob scene which is basically like a "Where's Waldo" poster showing every character, many greats didn't even get a line from what I noticed. Unless it happened when I was smoking, I didn't see any real appearance/lines/jokes from Skinner and his mom, Gil, Willy (you see him a bunch but no lines), One-armed guy, Snake, many others.

And then some of the major non-family characters are also delegated to near-cameo appearances, like Mr. Burns - for what I could see he was in only two short scenes. In my opinion they should've stuck with a classic Springfield against Mr. Burns conflict, but at a grandiose scale. Instead they bring in outside antagonists, and it results in a lot less airtime for classic characters and sets (no school scene, no power plant scene, no old folks home scene - even the Simspon's house is used rather sparingly).

As far as capitalizing on the PG-13 rating/theater showing, I was let down there too. I counted about five things that were done that they couldn't do on TV for censorship reasons, and most of those were forced as well. Star Trek fans: think of when Data yells "Oh ****!" from the movies and you'll get an idea what I mean.

The plot and jokes were too contemporary: They should have stuck with Burns as the villain in some epic scheme, instead they opted to go with current affairs. I have serious doubts if this movie will be relevant when the current administration is voted out of office.

I must admit I felt like the only one not laughing. There were a lot of <18 year olds in the theater who seemed to be enjoying it. Perhaps The Simpson's Torch has been handed down to the next generation with a new set of humor values. Edit: That isn't to be a rip on those who liked it, more saying maybe I'm out of touch.

Brunellus
July 30th, 2007, 05:20 PM
It was OK. In fact, it was an excellent 90-minute Simpsons episode. But as a *film,* not so much.

That said, I really enjoyed it.

avik
July 31st, 2007, 05:34 AM
I just got back from watching it, and I'd have to say it was hilarious! I really did love the subtle jabs at current events, even if it won't be as relevant down the line. It was okay that many of the characters didn't get any lines, since it still managed to be funny. I mean seriously. "Spider-pig?"

:popcorn:

lisati
July 31st, 2007, 05:41 AM
Haven't seen it yet.....tho the skateboarding scene has been used in so,me of the advertising I've scene er seen. Doh!

gnomeuser
July 31st, 2007, 05:52 AM
As a simpson fan I found that the movie didn't really venture into expanding the simpsons to fit the movie style length over a regular TV episode.

I was very disappointed, it was funny but in a slapstick kind of way and all my favorite Simpsons jokes have been very intelligent twists on popular culture, religion, science, eg. The movie presented more "Ow! My balls" type of humor that what was good for the plot (or lack there of).

Absolute funniest moment had to be Flanders grace.. and that has to say something for the low blows the plot gets laughs out of instead of going back to the stuff that made it funny in the first place.

The Simpsons jumped the shark long ago, the movie just added insult to injury.

goumples
July 31st, 2007, 05:58 AM
It was nothing more than I would expect from a simpsons tv show..

init1
July 31st, 2007, 06:26 AM
It was nothing more than I would expect from a simpsons tv show..
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?