PDA

View Full Version : How can I contribute?

samb0057
July 27th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I want to contribute. I am a very experienced web designer with PHP/MySQL however I know nothing about compiled languages like C/C++ so I can't really contribute directly to Ubuntu software. However I have hosting with unlimited domains, and I'll design and provide for free any site I can that will help the Ubuntu community.

What is a free Ubuntu-related website that you would use? All ideas are welcome, any idea that gets decent response, I will make and host it and never charge people to use it!

Any ideas?

nichipet
July 27th, 2007, 05:30 PM
A catalog (perhaps as a wiki) of errors from (K)(X)Ubuntu installation and software would be nice. Most of the posts on here are, understandably, about errors and a website where errors can be looked up would make troubleshooting easier to do. Maybe there is something like that out there that I am just not aware of yet.

If it's set up as a wiki and you start a thread on here about it existing, members could start filling in how they fixed different errors and tricky situations.

samb0057
July 27th, 2007, 05:32 PM
That was actually the one idea I was considering, I'll definitely think about that. So basically just a DB of user errors and then user-submitted troubleshooting help?

ZacDavis
July 27th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I kinda had this idea the other day of "blogbuntu". It is a blog network made up of blogs whose topics relate to Ubuntu. i.e.: "Ubuntu How-Tos","Ubuntu Gamer","Ubuntu News", LoCo Blogs, "Ubuntu Community News", blogs about open source in general. Maybe you could do a CMS for them and link them all up at a central site that aggregated them and had forums? I really don't know the amount of work that would entail, but I'm just throwing out an idea for you.

Sayers
July 27th, 2007, 05:41 PM
That sounds like a good idea.

samb0057
July 27th, 2007, 05:42 PM
so basically a bunch of blogs thrown together, with one main index?

samb0057
July 27th, 2007, 05:44 PM
how exactly does a blog work anyway? i feel stupid i hear about them anyway but i dont know exactly how it works. do you have multiple authors or what?

ZacDavis
July 27th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Yes, but just Ubuntu blogs of course. We could make it a one stop shop for Ubuntu news, tweaks, etc. Maybe a community driven one, where anyone can submit a blog post but the editor must approve it. I believe Wordpress has recently added this feature.

nichipet
July 27th, 2007, 05:46 PM
That was actually the one idea I was considering, I'll definitely think about that. So basically just a DB of user errors and then user-submitted troubleshooting help?

Basically, yes. Now that I think of it, maybe how-to's being included would be a good idea, too. That's the other common topic.

Curtisc
July 27th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Yes, but just Ubuntu blogs of course. We could make it a one stop shop for Ubuntu news, tweaks, etc. Maybe a community driven one, where anyone can submit a blog post but the editor must approve it. I believe Wordpress has recently added this feature.

Isn't that what Planet Ubuntu (http://planet.ubuntulinux.org/) is?

maniacmusician
July 27th, 2007, 05:58 PM
planet ubuntu is more for official ubuntu members to post about Ubuntu. Some people post tips and tricks there, but most don't, really. they just talk about ubuntu development and what's going on currently.

ZacDavis
July 27th, 2007, 05:58 PM

I notice a lot of personal stuff on there.

samb0057
July 27th, 2007, 06:05 PM
so for a blog i could just set up wordpress or something right? and have multiple instances of it?

ZacDavis
July 27th, 2007, 06:24 PM
so for a blog i could just set up wordpress or something right? and have multiple instances of it?

Yes, you can have multiple instances of wordpress, and I prefer wordpress asa blogging platform because of the plugins and themes. From what I can tell, it is easy to create a theme. So maybe there could be a custom "Blogbuntu" theme or whatever that all the blogs have.

samb0057
July 27th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Any other ideas anyone?

@trophy
July 27th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Any other ideas anyone?

I have a wordpress blog currently in need of another hosting provider... and I do web-design and coding for a living. If you would like someone to help in your project, I will donate my time in exchange for hosting of my website. PM me if you'd like more info.

jn25b
August 16th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Well, yes. I'm running a dapper mysql-5.0 / php5 machine, and need to write a secure bug-track website for customer support. This has got to be re-inventing the wheel, but the recipies are for different revs of my config. So the command syntax in the tutorials needs updates and that's LOTs of work. Cheers.

ssam
August 16th, 2007, 09:42 PM
planet ubuntu is more for official ubuntu members to post about Ubuntu. Some people post tips and tricks there, but most don't, really. they just talk about ubuntu development and what's going on currently.

planet ubuntu users (http://ubuntuweblogs.org/) already exists.

how much bandwidth do you have? maybe you could help the http://www.getdeb.net/ people.

please dont start another ubuntu documentation site. there are several aready, it would be better for users if all ubuntu documentation were in one place.