PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's not the enemy, nonuse is

sparks0548
July 27th, 2007, 06:15 AM
I was thumbing through some of my RSS Updates and found this interesting link from Linux Insider regarding comments on the Ubuntu Live Conference. An interesting point was made. Gone are the days of Microsoft being the enemy of Linux. On some level with all the new partnerships, Microsoft has been attempting to close down the open source community, I really haven't been following the news on that.

The author of the article made a great point though. Nonuse is the ultimate enemy of Ubuntu. Not RedHat, SUSE or any other distro. Nonuse. If Ubuntu didn't have the community that it did have, then I can see nonuse closing the doors on Ubuntu.

Another great point is not idolizing Mark Shuttleworth as the Ubuntu GOD. Seriously though, from what I have seen and the drive that Mr. Shuttleworth has I believe the Ubuntu Logo is the collective face of Ubuntu, not how Bill Gates is to Microsoft. The community makes the distro, and I believe full heartedly that as a community great things will be built. It's very evident with the popularity of the distro.

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9750516-7.html

handy
July 27th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Is Mark idolized?

eentonig
July 27th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Is Mark idolized?

Sure he is. It's human nature to desire something to look up to. Ubunuwise, he fits that role.

astromech
July 27th, 2007, 06:39 AM
On some level with all the new partnerships, Microsoft has been attempting to close down the open source community, I really haven't been following the news on that.

Maybe you should be following the news on that.Then you would know that MS is still the enemy.

sparks0548
July 27th, 2007, 06:40 AM
From my own observations, I would say Mark is not idolized. Reflecting upon what the author of the article stated that a wrong turn for Ubuntu was for Mark to be idolized. I have to readily agree with the author. The collective mind that is Ubuntu should be the forefront of recognition vs. the image of one individual.

I feel that the article as a whole was very truthful and drove a great point on market stability in the future.

handy
July 27th, 2007, 06:44 AM
I have not thought that Mark was/is idolized, just greatly appreciated for gathering a team & funding a project that suits us.

mrgnash
July 27th, 2007, 08:21 AM
I think that article was written by someone who wakes up every morning with the question: 'what can I grandstand about today?'

Dexter1337
July 27th, 2007, 08:29 AM
No... Ubuntu is wanting the internets..

steven8
July 27th, 2007, 08:31 AM
I think that article was written by someone who wakes up every morning with the question: 'what can I grandstand about today?'

That's just the kind of person who gets to be the keynote speaker at major conferences such as this. As opposed to someone such as myself, who wakes up every morning thinking, "Now, who can I avoid today?"

:popcorn:

Lord Illidan
July 27th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Rather a "grand" article, as you say...with his talk about commandments and stuff..what is he, some Ubuntu God?

cunawarit
July 27th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Mark Shuttleworth idolized? :confused:

I've never gotten that impression, I don't think he is even that widely known. He certainly isn't out in the media anywhere near as much as the Steve Jobs, Steve Ballmer, or even Richard Stallman, and Linus Torvalds.

Lord Illidan
July 27th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Mark Shuttleworth idolized? :confused:

I've never gotten that impression, I don't think he is even that widely known. He certainly isn't out in the media anywhere near as much as the Steve Jobs, Steve Ballmer, or even Richard Stallman, and Linus Torvalds.

Hmm...have you been living in a nuclear shelter?
Joking aside, he is quite a large figure in the Linux community. That said, well, he hasn't been known for so long as the figures you mention above.

However, I still believe Microsoft is the one we should aspire to beat.

cunawarit
July 27th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Joking aside, he is quite a large figure in the Linux community.

I think most people outside the Linux community know him as "that rich space traveller", if they know him at all.

steven8
July 27th, 2007, 09:05 AM
I think most people outside the Linux community know him as "that rich space traveller", if they know him at all.

I don't believe the speaker meant for the world to not idol worship Mark, but for our community to not get caught up in it and loose sight of what we have. You know, not be just followers of Mark, but a diverse community.

Sunforge
July 27th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Ubuntu's community is a strong as Debian's. One of the differences between the two is Mark Shuttleworth as benign dictator. I don't know much about him personally and I've never been one to believe in idols, as too often they have feet of clay. I do think that Ubuntu has benefitted from his continued backing via Canonical.

I'm cautiously hopeful that Mr Shuttleworth will continue to do his thing and the Ubuntu community it's thing. They both need each other.

Spr0k3t
July 27th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Mark may not be idolized, but he is sensationalized. Especially since he is in the ELER comics.

http://geekz.co.uk/lovesraymond/archive/taking-freedom-further

moffatt666
July 27th, 2007, 11:12 AM
There is no way I would idolise anyone but I have a great deal of respect for Mark because he's provided a lot of funding for an excellent project. This is the same respect I have for Bill Gates for donating millions of dollars to charitable causes. I don't like Microsoft but I admire anyone willing to pump money into a cause they believe in.

@trophy
July 27th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I have, on occasion, seen people idolize Mark. However, for more often I've seen people do worse: they idolize Ubuntu. At first I thought it was because it had become popular with the digg-mafia and they refuse to hear anything that doesn't tow the party line, but it's not even really that... there's just a lot of people out there drinking all flavors of kool-aid (Apple, Microsoft, Linux, Digg, RMS, etc) and I generally try to avoid kool-aid drinkers of any sort.

It would behoove us to take an honest look at the state of our own operating system, as well as the state of all the others, so that we can make ours better, rather than just pretending it will do your dishes, walk your dog, and bring peace to the Middle East.

handy
July 27th, 2007, 03:47 PM
I enjoy the Ubuntu community on these forums, & barely spare a thought for Mark.

If I'm using a different distro' or OS, I still hang here because it is comfortable & stimulating.

The only threat that Linux has is potential big time legal hassles. Which really do not seem fair when microsoft's software is locked up & no one can see what's there & where it may have come from.