PDA

View Full Version : if you were to get a Mac, which one would you get?

slimdog360
July 27th, 2007, 02:58 AM
I want to get a 24" iMac, with the 2.33GHz core duo 2, 2GB RAM, and the Nvidia 7600GS w/ 256MB VRAM.

It costs about $3500 Australian

marsmissionaries
July 27th, 2007, 09:31 AM
i have a system exactly like that running ubuntu and i built it for 600 dollars...so in short: iwould not get a mac.

slimdog360
July 27th, 2007, 09:35 AM
but does it have a 24" monitor, and Im guessing that was $600 US not Australian.

Wellig
July 27th, 2007, 01:40 PM
If you want to buy a mac you should have a look on this site: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Sayers
July 27th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Deffenitly don't get a mac. Either build one yourself or whatnot. A 24" screen doesn't cost that much more. Not to make it that expesnive....

slimdog360
July 28th, 2007, 02:01 AM
but I want osx such that I can run linux and windows under parallels

Depressed Man
July 28th, 2007, 06:31 PM
If I were to get a Mac it'd be a Macbook Pro.

stmiller
July 28th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I'd get a Powerbook G5.

http://martin.p2b.jp/PIX/1112327989_g5-pb.jpg

Demio
July 28th, 2007, 09:58 PM
If I could afford one, I'd buy a top of the line Mac Pro.

Since I can't then I would buy an iMac 20" which is within my price range :D

Adamant1988
July 29th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Me, I'm getting a MacBook. They're powerful enough, small enough, and if you upgrade it to 2 GB of ram... fast enough to keep me happy for a long time.

benhagerty
July 30th, 2007, 02:44 PM
I would rather not use a computer than buy a mac

3rdalbum
July 30th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I'd buy a Quad G5, if someone was offering it quite cheaply.

The data on its hard drive wouldn't last 10 minutes though...

Of course, in reality, when I'm in the market for a new computer I'll be buying a Dellbuntu. I can get a customised Dellbuntu desktop for much less than a 24 inch iMac (better specs, better operating system, more flexibility and expandability, multiple optical drives, and cheaper... I'd think I had died and gone to heaven!)

Alfa989
July 31st, 2007, 01:35 PM
I would rather not use a computer than buy a mac
Oh, A freetard that hasn't used a Mac in his whole life!

Jergar
July 31st, 2007, 02:28 PM
I would buy a iMac 20" :)

Rhubarb
July 31st, 2007, 02:50 PM
I want to get a 24" iMac, with the 2.33GHz core duo 2, 2GB RAM, and the Nvidia 7600GS w/ 256MB VRAM.

It costs about $3500 Australian

I built myself a core2duo 2.7GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 7950 512MB, 22" wide screen monitor, 500GB HDD, 18x DL sata DVD burner, for AU$2400.
I even saved some money by not paying the windows tax :)
So, in your case I'd get a PC, and spend the money you've saved by not buying a mac on something like a faster CPU or whatever.

Alfa989
July 31st, 2007, 04:21 PM
Of course, in reality, when I'm in the market for a new computer I'll be buying a Dellbuntu. I can get a customised Dellbuntu desktop for much less than a 24 inch iMac (better specs, better operating system, more flexibility and expandability, multiple optical drives, and cheaper... I'd think I had died and gone to heaven!)
It's simple: You can't...
Of course you can get more for more, but never more for less...

stmiller
July 31st, 2007, 05:37 PM
It's simple: You can't...
Of course you can get more for more, but never more for less...

Alfa: Check the specs/price of the current iMacs vs. the Dell Ubuntu machine. They are similar in everything but the price...

ashvala
July 31st, 2007, 05:38 PM
I would get a Mac Book Pro 17" with the latest GeForce Card with Debian ETCH

DeadSuperHero
July 31st, 2007, 08:27 PM
I'd either get an iMac 20'' or a Macbook/Macbook Pro. Probablly a Macbook.

Adamant1988
August 1st, 2007, 07:01 AM
Alfa: Check the specs/price of the current iMacs vs. the Dell Ubuntu machine. They are similar in everything but the price...

Oh yeah, they're exactly the same, right? How could they not be, the graphics card, processor, and screens are ALL ALIKE!!!11!

(That is unless you want to start looking at the quality of the parts, build quality, rate of depreciation, etc.)

I can take the tires, the windshield and the doors off of my car and put them on my bike... that doesn't make my bike a car, and it certainly doesn't make my bike equal to the car. You will get what you pay for.

Jellicletrb
August 1st, 2007, 07:08 AM
I bought a Mac Mini a few months ago to see what all the Mac hubbub was about. It's here now, running Linux Mint and doing a heck of a job at it too.

scxtt
August 1st, 2007, 07:26 AM
but I want osx such that I can run linux and windows under parallelsi'm just curious, why?

Alfa989
August 1st, 2007, 04:12 PM
Are they soundproof?
Have they got a great webcam?
Etc...

slimdog360
August 2nd, 2007, 09:43 AM
i'm just curious, why?

Well, I really like OSX but I've only been able to use it at uni. I want it as my main OS
(a) because its supported by heaps of companies
(b) because I can run linux and windows (due to certain windows only apps that I need to run)
(c) finally, because I like it.

and besides all that my computer has taken a dive. I have a feeling its the mother board, though i can still run live cds, it buggers up when I try to install an OS. This is with 3 different hard drives so I know its not that. I'm more then aware of the inflated price of Macs but Im making some nice money now and I just want something that works consistently.

scxtt
August 2nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
if you really, really want OSX no one can argue w/ that ;) ... but what i quoted you on almost made it sound like you wanted OSX solely for Parallels so you could run Linux+Windows ... when i read it i thought it was odd to pay mucho dinero for Mac/OSX and even more for Parallels when you could do it for "free" otherwise ...

slimdog360
August 3rd, 2007, 07:14 AM
if you really, really want OSX no one can argue w/ that ;)

thats the one

Adamant1988
August 3rd, 2007, 05:56 PM
I stand by my original post. Get a MacBook. With the student discount a MacBook with 2 GB of ram comes out to $1438 or something like that.

slimdog360
August 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM
you know I was just looking at the mac book pros. I was thinking I could get a slightly better macbook pro with a 15" screen for about the same price as the 24" iMac. But later on i could get a big monitor to hook it up to at home and just use it like a desktop. That way I could have a laptop and a desktop. I wont be getting one for a few months anyway so i guess I have some time to think about it.

pofigster
August 4th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I'd get a mini mac - because I love that tiny form factor. I'm still actually thinking about getting one.

Adamant1988
August 4th, 2007, 05:27 PM
you know I was just looking at the mac book pros. I was thinking I could get a slightly better macbook pro with a 15" screen for about the same price as the 24" iMac. But later on i could get a big monitor to hook it up to at home and just use it like a desktop. That way I could have a laptop and a desktop. I wont be getting one for a few months anyway so i guess I have some time to think about it.

Well, the BMP's seem tempting, but unless you seriously need that kind of raw power there's just no way to justify the $700 increase in price over a MacBook

slimdog360
August 5th, 2007, 11:48 AM
keep in mind that the normal mac book only comes with the intel graphics chip. It would be more then enough for doing normal stuff, but if I wanted to run something a little more hardcore I recon it would have some trouble. That said I've never tried one so I could be wrong.

edit: and 2GB of RAM

zuzuzzzip
August 5th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I'm getting a macbook pro when leopard comes out :)
btw, leopard will be shipping on macbooks when it comes out, right? :P

Ultra Magnus
August 5th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I'd get a macintosh 128k - Even Bill Gates thinks it great!

Adamant1988
August 6th, 2007, 06:23 PM
keep in mind that the normal mac book only comes with the intel graphics chip. It would be more then enough for doing normal stuff, but if I wanted to run something a little more hardcore I recon it would have some trouble. That said I've never tried one so I could be wrong.

edit: and 2GB of RAM

This is a good point, but personally, I'd rather play games on a console and I don't do any real photo editing, or video editing (that's taken care of mostly by the CPU anyway, so DUO core for the win!)

3rdalbum
August 7th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Oh yeah, they're exactly the same, right? How could they not be, the graphics card, processor, and screens are ALL ALIKE!!!11!

(That is unless you want to start looking at the quality of the parts, build quality, rate of depreciation, etc.)

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Apple uses exactly the same parts as other computer manufacturers, with the exception of the Intel EFI. Measuring the rate of depreciation is a bit misleading, as Apple makes new versions of the Mac OS incompatible with older machines faster than Microsoft, and nobody will buy a Mac that won't run the latest version of the Mac OS* because the new programs won't run either. So although the "market price" might still be inflated, few people can actually sell at those prices, so they don't sell.

*except, of course, if they're planning on running a different operating system on it.

slimdog360
August 8th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Yep, Im definitely getting an iMac. Its going to be the top 24" model with the 2.8GHz core duo 2, 2GB RAM etc. Im disappointed in the graphics card, the macbook pro graphics card is more powerful. But hay, its still more then what I'd ever need.

Im thinking of getting it before leopard comes out and just upgrade from there. What do you all recon?

http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/individualAustralia.woa/6634023/wo/lv28Ew20Cn9q3o3mwOk19OPJmhT/2.?p=0

zuzuzzzip
August 8th, 2007, 02:58 PM
think you'd better get it after leopard, as there also might be an hardware upgrade after the software upgrade... but I'm guessing that you'll have to wait till march or something then..;
So it's right now or in march 08 :P

edit: lol it appears they're out right now (since 7th of August here in Belgium)

ashvala
August 8th, 2007, 05:59 PM
The Latest iMac core 2 duo!

Alex&Linux
August 8th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Im looking for a 13'' macbook.
the hardware is beautiful and small/light, and the battery has a longer average life than most other lappys.

Im about to call mac an order one, while im at it, I may ask aswell if I can get one without mac OSX.

SunnyRabbiera
August 10th, 2007, 04:39 AM
I want a mini, though I heard rumors it would be discontinued.
Hope not as most macs are too expensive.

macbookmaster
August 21st, 2007, 03:00 AM
if i could id get a top o the line mac pro.... but i dont have 20 grand or so lyin around the house you know so i'd go with either the 15.4 inch macbook pro and upgrade it all the way or get and iMac 24 inch maxed