PDA

View Full Version : Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

WarholsGhost
July 27th, 2007, 02:32 AM
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2163005,00.asp

i encourage all of you who dual boot to reconsider your actions.

hardKNOXbz
July 27th, 2007, 02:45 AM
soooo..............

what's the problem??

KiwiNZ
July 27th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Why ?

init1
July 27th, 2007, 03:02 AM
The MS empire is expanding. I'm glad I am not one of the nearly 1billon MS users. \\:D/

Tux Aubrey
July 27th, 2007, 03:29 AM
My only reaction was "Wow! Eweek carries a lot of very annoying advertising!" Couldn't care less about the phony Vista stats (they would have to define "sold" as including every OEM version and upgrade offer included with every PC sold).

prizrak
July 27th, 2007, 03:51 AM
My only reaction was "Wow! Eweek carries a lot of very annoying advertising!" Couldn't care less about the phony Vista stats (they would have to define "sold" as including every OEM version and upgrade offer included with every PC sold).
That is exactly what they are doing and that is why the OP is talking about dual booters.The problem with getting a Windows OEM with your machine is that MS gets your money regardless of whether you install Linux on it later or not. This makes MS's position seem better than it in reality may be and Linux's position worse.

tcpip4lyfe
July 27th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Good for them IMO. ( Mostly because I own shares of their stock :) ) Some people use windows and that works for them. Some people use Linux and it's fine for them. To be honest, I don't mind Microsoft as a company. Compared to oil and health insurance companies, Microsoft is a big teddy bear.

DoctorMO
July 27th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Good for them IMO. ( Mostly because I own shares of their stock ) Some people use windows and that works for them. Some people use Linux and it's fine for them. To be honest, I don't mind Microsoft as a company. Compared to oil and health insurance companies, Microsoft is a big teddy bear.

He's a traitor! get him! (sic)

Oil and healthcare businesses are in the same ******* bag as Microsoft in my view, but some for different reasons.

They count sales of windows even on computers that will never run windows, the fact is that they a) count all linux machines as pireted versions of windows and b) count all machines sold with OEM versions even when that computer may never have been built or will use linux, bsd or mac-osx; they can c) double count computers where the company sells windows 98 then windows xp, then windows vista (assuming they all work on the same box)

Yet another loud mouth yew haw from the Balmer Co. asylum.

tbroderick
July 27th, 2007, 06:11 AM
They count sales of windows even on computers that will never run windows, the fact is that they a) count all linux machines as pireted versions of windows and b) count all machines sold with OEM versions even when that computer may never have been built or will use linux, bsd or mac-osx; they can c) double count computers where the company sells windows 98 then windows xp, then windows vista (assuming they all work on the same box).

And you know that how?

@trophy
July 27th, 2007, 03:22 PM
And you know that how?

Don't question it... it's SCIENCE™!

Sounds like you haven't drunk enough kool-aid yet....

Someone get the funnel!!!!

smoker
July 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM
a billion windows users, lol, no wonder there is so much unhappiness in the world! :-(

@trophy
July 27th, 2007, 03:43 PM
a billion windows users, lol, no wonder there is so much unhappiness in the world! :-(

Seriously though I didn't know that a full sixth of the world's population was rich enough to own or have access to a computer at all. So that's good news, I guess. LOL and I'm sure M$ counts every OLPC as being another windows install to reach that number.

Spike-X
July 28th, 2007, 04:31 AM
i encourage all of you who dual boot to reconsider your actions.

Why? I already paid for my copy, why should I not continue to use it when/if the need arises?

I have already decided, though, that any future computer I build for myself will be Linux-only. The computer I plan to build my son for his birthday will be the same.

Frak
July 28th, 2007, 04:41 AM
I seriously don't trust how they count their computers.
Reinstalls, Upgrades, and Piracy are all factors in this.
It should have a lee-way of about +/- 750,000 users.

merlyn
July 28th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Seriously though I didn't know that a full sixth of the world's population was rich enough to own or have access to a computer at all. So that's good news, I guess. LOL and I'm sure M$ counts every OLPC as being another windows install to reach that number.

Not to mention have the readies to purchase a PC powerful enough to run the likes of Vista, then there's the cost of the liscence . . .

zacharyt
July 28th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Cannot see anything in that page, what is wrong..

jdrodrig
July 28th, 2007, 05:37 AM
I wonder, what did Henry Ford drive to work before he "invented" the ModelT? I think the answer is the competitor's product....what did the WordProcessor inventors used to type their memos before? Typewriter!

There is nothing bad in using the best alternative of the specific software you need notwithstanding it is a WindowsOS...not even if you want to use that software to help you create a superior alternative...

DjBones
July 28th, 2007, 09:01 AM
it won't be long before windows catch's up to BSD

Adamant1988
July 28th, 2007, 01:02 PM
This thread makes me incredibly disappointed in the Ubuntu community.

1) Who cares if Windows is going to cross 1 Billion? *yawn* They're a monopoly, it was kind of inevitable that they would continue to get more users. I figure if you count all the pirated versions floating around china and elsewhere, they've probably LONG passed that one billion mark.

2) Some of the posts in this thread just flat out surprise me. For an open-minded community of otherwise intelligent people, some of you can say some extremely closed-minded ignorant things. (DoctorMO, I'm looking at you).

So, let's all take a deep breath, step away from the kool-aid table for a while and come back to this with a fresh mind, K?

forrestcupp
July 28th, 2007, 02:58 PM
So, let's all take a deep breath, step away from the kool-aid table for a while and come back to this with a fresh mind, K?

You really should know by now that some people have the Free Software philosophy burnt into them as a morality. I don't think stepping back and taking a breather will change that.

popch
July 28th, 2007, 04:13 PM
The MS empire is expanding. I'm glad I am not one of the nearly 1billon MS users. \\:D/

I am personally about 15 of them. That's roughly the number of PCs I and my family have bought over the last several years. Since it used to be impossible to buy a PC without any bundled software, that's also the lower bounds on the number of OS licenses heaped somewhere at my place. Most of the hardware is in hardware heaven. The software, being immateriel, is still with us.

Does this bother me?

Not really, because the barely functional software I bought with some of these systems is not the only thing I paid for without being able to use it. Take the bi-directional parallel port, USB or Hard Disk failure detection. How many systems have I bought and discarded until there was any software which made reasonable use of that hardware?

vexorian
July 28th, 2007, 04:50 PM
MS should change the title to "1 billion licenses sold , that doesn't really mean 1 billion computers running windows, I am sure there are much fewer (not to say they don't practically own the market, but this stat is just silly)

muguwmp67
July 28th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Note that they are counting 1 billion licenses of _Windows_ sold, not Windows Vista. Windows version 3.1 dates back to the early 90's, and earlier versions of windows existed in the 80's. 1 billion is a much more believable number when you consider that Windows in some form has been around for over 15 years.

popch
July 28th, 2007, 07:58 PM
MS should change the title to "1 billion licenses sold , that doesn't really mean 1 billion computers running windows, I am sure there are much fewer (not to say they don't practically own the market, but this stat is just silly)

I do not believe in statistic I have not faked myself.

Or: there are lies, bloody lies and statistics (Mark Twain, I believe)

g2g591
July 29th, 2007, 01:32 AM
"Turner said that Vista was the most secure operating system Microsoft had ever shipped" and it still has more security holes than swiss cheese.

vexorian
July 29th, 2007, 03:20 AM
In swiss cheese's defense: the holes are intended, and the producer does not deny their existence.

Frak
July 29th, 2007, 03:47 AM
In swiss cheese's defense: the holes are intended, and the producer does not deny their existence.
Agreed, court rules in favor of the Swiss cheese and Vista is ordered to spend another 5 years without any improvement.
Court is ajourned.
(raps gavel)

stinger30au
July 29th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Agreed, court rules in favor of the Swiss cheese and Vista is ordered to spend another 5 years without any improvement.
Court is ajourned.
(raps gavel)

:lolflag:

popch
July 30th, 2007, 01:56 PM
...Vista is ordered to spend another 5 years without any improvement.
Court is ajourned.
(raps gavel)

I have always thought that they were called 'amendments'?:rolleyes:

Pobega
July 30th, 2007, 02:05 PM
it won't be long before windows catch's up to BSD

What?

strabes
July 30th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Good for them IMO. ( Mostly because I own shares of their stock :) ) Some people use windows and that works for them. Some people use Linux and it's fine for them. To be honest, I don't mind Microsoft as a company. Compared to oil and health insurance companies, Microsoft is a big teddy bear.

Oil and health insurance are competitive industries, unlike the monopolistic operating system industry.