PDA

View Full Version : Hello ubuntu forum members!

Drufuss
July 22nd, 2005, 05:11 PM
Greetings and salutations!

My name's Drufuss (okay, my nickname) and i just registered here.

I have little experience with Suse Linux (got it to run somehow, but many things still give me a headache) and wanted to try another Distro so i ordered the CD's when i stumbled over some postings about Ubuntu in another forum (abxzone.com).

So far i am very happy with ubuntu (mainly because of the info i got from your postings here) and i think ubuntu will become my main OS in the not so far future.

So thanks for the help you already provided, hope that i can be of help on one or the other topic as well.

Greetings

Dru

aggiechemist
July 22nd, 2005, 08:28 PM
If you are shopping around for linux distros, I might suggest distrowatch (http://www.distrowatch.org). It is a list of all the distros out there and how to get them. Now Ubuntu is at the top of the list in popularity right now (and I don't see why you would want anything else), but it is a great resource for what you are doing.

damonw5
July 22nd, 2005, 08:52 PM
Hi Dru,

Thanks for stopping by! If you have any problems or questions, be sure to use the forums to help you out!

Damon

tom-ubuntu
July 22nd, 2005, 09:21 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu! Enjoy your stay!

I am sure it will be your main OS soon. Ubuntu is by far the best desktop distribution i know right know. And it is improving all the time.

poofyhairguy
July 22nd, 2005, 11:07 PM
Welcome

benplaut
July 22nd, 2005, 11:18 PM
Welcome

:roll:

welcome the the forum where everyone is too busy to say 2 words :roll:

:grin:

matthew
July 22nd, 2005, 11:54 PM
Welcome to you!

(3 words)

manicka
July 23rd, 2005, 12:00 AM
Welcome to you Drufuss :D
( 4 words ;) )

mike998
July 23rd, 2005, 01:59 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu!

ssck
July 23rd, 2005, 02:19 AM
welcome to ubuntu

poofyhairguy
July 23rd, 2005, 03:58 AM
:roll:

welcome the the forum where everyone is too busy to say 2 words :roll:

:grin:

People need help in that beginner forum...you can only type so much in a day.

Plus...I always use the one word welcome.

bored2k
July 23rd, 2005, 04:06 AM
if you want to save a bunch on car insurance make sure you check out these two: one (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/search.php?) and two (http://ubuntuguide.org/)

Drufuss
July 25th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the nice welcome!

if you want to save a bunch on car insurance make sure you check out these two: one (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/search.php?) and two (http://ubuntuguide.org/)

Holy sh**! The Search function and the Ubuntuguides! Never would have thought of that myself. :rolleyes:
I know, i know. There are a lot people out there who donīt use search or read any guides and manuals (friend of mine worked at a hotline, you donīt believe how many problems have been solved by the simple question "Is the power cord plugged in?").
Nevertheless it is somewhat symptomatic for Linux forums, that the most common answer to a question from a newbie is "Use the search function". Or when u ask something "simple" (maybe "How can i install a clock on the desktop") you get links to sites explaining everything and too much but not what u asked ( the theory of space and time, time travelling, the history of the desktop, programming a calender with the correct timezones for all known planets in the galaxy, etc)

Greetings

Dru

trivialpackets
July 25th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Greetings and salutations!

My name's Drufuss (okay, my nickname) and i just registered here.

I have little experience with Suse Linux (got it to run somehow, but many things still give me a headache) and wanted to try another Distro so i ordered the CD's when i stumbled over some postings about Ubuntu in another forum (abxzone.com).

So far i am very happy with ubuntu (mainly because of the info i got from your postings here) and i think ubuntu will become my main OS in the not so far future.

So thanks for the help you already provided, hope that i can be of help on one or the other topic as well.

Greetings

Dru
Enjoy man. I've got Suse 9.3 on my notebook until I get my father in laws up and running properly so I can test it, because it's what he likes and I need to troubleshoot, but I can't wwait to get back to ubuntu. Enjoy.

bored2k
July 25th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the nice welcome!

Holy sh**! The Search function and the Ubuntuguides! Never would have thought of that myself. :rolleyes:
I know, i know. There are a lot people out there who donīt use search or read any guides and manuals (friend of mine worked at a hotline, you donīt believe how many problems have been solved by the simple question "Is the power cord plugged in?").
Nevertheless it is somewhat symptomatic for Linux forums, that the most common answer to a question from a newbie is "Use the search function". Or when u ask something "simple" (maybe "How can i install a clock on the desktop") you get links to sites explaining everything and too much but not what u asked ( the theory of space and time, time travelling, the history of the desktop, programming a calender with the correct timezones for all known planets in the galaxy, etc)

Greetings

Dru
I hope you didn't get really offended by my previous sarcastic joke..

Drufuss
July 25th, 2005, 10:49 PM
No, i just have to get used to using those smilies or improve my english so that everyone knows when i try to use sarcasm.

I hope you didn't get really offended by my previous sarcastic joke..
He, wait, was that ment to be sarcastic too? :confused:

Seriously, i donīt take anything serious at first.

Greetings

Dru