PDA

View Full Version : Automatix VS Gnome-app-install, an Accessibility and Usability Discussion.

loell
July 26th, 2007, 11:35 PM
this is a comparative disccusion about Automatix and gnome-app-install's accessibilty and usability.

loell
July 27th, 2007, 12:02 AM
let me start...

i think why many people still use automatix is because its quicker to use and more user friendly than that of gnome-app-install.

juxtaposed
July 27th, 2007, 12:20 AM
I've never heard of gnome-app-install, but I use apt-get :P

matthew
July 27th, 2007, 12:22 AM
gnome-app-install is found in the Gnome menu at Applications->add/remove

starcraft.man
July 27th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Aptitude with Synaptic (not often) for a bit more advanced package management. Never had anything I couldn't do with em, and I also happen to think that it's pretty easy to use once you learn (with my guide). Shameless plug :p.

Oh and what's gnome-app-install, link? I bet my Aptitude command is faster than both anyway >.>.

Edit: Oh LOL, Add/Remove, why don't ya call it that...

loell
July 27th, 2007, 12:39 AM
refer to the screenshots..

in automatix, internet related programs is divided into four parts namely ( Chat clients , File sharing , Email clients and Web browsers) while in Gnome-app-install , its all found in the Internet section in alphabetical order.

in my opinion, users can understand more if this is categorize like that in automatix, cause it creates less clutter.

starcraft.man
July 27th, 2007, 12:57 AM
refer to the screenshots..

in automatix, internet related programs is divided into four parts namely ( Chat clients , File sharing , Email clients and Web browsers) while in Gnome-app-install , its all found in the Internet section in alphabetical order.

in my opinion, users can understand more if this is categorize like that in automatix, cause it creates less clutter.

Ok... that it? There's a box in Add/Remove called search, amazing how well it works. You can even type common words like "torrent" and "chat" and things pop up, and then check and apply. I just tried it out a bit and it returns right on results to most common queries. Anything else?

loell
July 27th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Ok... that it? There's a box in Add/Remove called search, amazing how well it works. You can even type common words like "torrent" and "chat" and things pop up, and then check and apply. I just tried it out a bit and it returns right on results to most common queries. Anything else?

well, i'm taking it one at a time ;)

what are the odds of a new user searching the keyword chat and torrent?

i still think the method.

present a category --> then present a small but popular software set of that category --> then choose to install

is effective than,

search a keyword --> bombarded with a large set of osoftware --> then choose to install.

starcraft.man
July 27th, 2007, 01:41 AM
well, i'm taking it one at a time ;)

what are the odds of a new user searching the keyword chat and torrent?

I think the odds are pretty good. When I wanted to find a guide for Ubuntu, I typed in Google "Ubuntu guide" and guess what I found... IMO people I know prefer a search based system rather than a divisional menu based method. Also, since Google is so prevalent, most tech users understand the concept of a "keyword" search and know what their looking for (or at least it's equivalent general name in Windows i.e. torrent)

i still think the method.

present a category --> then present a small but popular software set of that category --> then choose to install

is effective than,

search a keyword --> bombarded with a large set of osoftware --> then choose to install.

Ummmm, ok, let me just pretend I'm a novice for a moment (not easy after 15 years with computers).

I open up add/remove, see a search box and know I'm looking for a torrent client so I type in "torrent". Lo and behold two simple options appear ktorrent and bittorrent (by default only two, if you change the "show" option to "All applications" you get Azureus and more.). I then see that one (whichever is default to your distro) is already installed, so I can go and try that one. If I don't like it, I then can pick bit torrent (or other) or if I looked at the show menu and played with that (being a curious novice user) I would see more options displayed.

Same applies to messenger, chat, etc... I don't see any difference. The search function works well, I just thoroughly tested it out. Again, that's just my experience but users are more accustomed to searching I think.

loell
July 27th, 2007, 01:43 AM
more freindly software descriptions of automatix than gnome-app-install

starcraft.man
July 27th, 2007, 02:01 AM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b324/FFManiac1/Screenshot-4edit.png

Again, thinking like a curious novice I tend to read titles of things. I also tend to think the average user knows the extension he wants to play... ergo, sees divx for example and wants to play divx, installs said package and thing works. Most of the rest of the packages are described fine I think.

Next?

loell
July 27th, 2007, 02:47 AM
tihis is probably my last card on this, :mrgreen:

with dvd codecs , installing through automatix is a breeze, compared to adding a third party repo such as medibuntu just to install libdvdcss2 which includes command line interaction.

and those are the things why automatix is still widely used...

starcraft.man
July 27th, 2007, 03:29 AM
tihis is probably my last card on this, :mrgreen:

with dvd codecs , installing through automatix is a breeze, compared to adding a third party repo such as medibuntu just to install libdvdcss2 which includes command line interaction.

and those are the things why automatix is still widely used...

Ok, well your first two IMO simply aren't valid or at least personal preference (especially search vs division).

This one, I agree. Automatix by installing automatically edits your sources list (much to my chagrin, from the sources lists I've seen posted I really don't like how it messily edits the list but thats me). So yes, from this narrow viewpoint Automatix is easier to use. However, how do you get Automatix installed (which configures the keys and repos at same time) in the first place? You have to find out or be told about it, and that's likely to happen if you post on these forums and or somewhere else (maybe even googling right combination words). So the first step is you have to be informed. Then you need to install it by downloading the deb or using the apt method.

On the other hand, the same person who tells you about Automatix can equally tell you about any number of guides (like mine in blue link in sig. Shameful hucksterism I know :p). That user can then spend some time reading (I assume he has free time to learn another OS, he can't expect it to be exactly like Windows...). After reading my guide (call me confident), I can almost guarantee he/she understands exactly how to install autonomously. Once they get all the concepts and methods for installing, I think they'll be happier and need to post less often :).

Now, if said person doesn't wanna read my long guide... Linux Mint is for them. Or maybe linux isn't just for them, cuz I can all but guarantee that person will have to do something more complicated eventually. Automatix doesn't solve all problems.

tbroderick
July 27th, 2007, 05:36 AM
more freindly software descriptions of automatix than gnome-app-install

I like the gnome-app-install UI better. I think it's much cleaner and easier to navigate. I don't like the buttons on Automatix2. What is the 'Start" button for? Where is the 'Help" button? The popularity rankings are a nice touch with gnome-app-install for people new to GNU/Linux. Automatix2 is nice. but I'd rather have new users become familiar with the 'official' Ubuntu tools, rather then rely on a third party.

loell
July 27th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Ok, well your first two IMO simply aren't valid or at least personal preference (especially search vs division).

i'd still think it is valid , if gnome-app-install will employ the same categorical style as automatix, together with the search app feature, i believe users can speed up the usuall desktop setup.

handy
July 27th, 2007, 06:40 AM
I think there is a problem with grouping under categories when you have potentially 15,000+ files to work with, as opposed to around the 50 that Ax works with.

If you know what you want, & search for it, Synaptic works really well. If you don't know what you want, search for the information on Google, or the forums, if you still can't find a recommendation, ask on the forums.

loell
July 27th, 2007, 07:21 AM
I think there is a problem with grouping under categories when you have potentially 15,000+ files to work with, as opposed to around the 50 that Ax works with.

that is true, but same as automatix, only a popular subset of softwares of each category should be presented.

If you know what you want, & search for it, Synaptic works really well. If you don't know what you want, search for the information on Google, or the forums, if you still can't find a recommendation, ask on the forums.

typical route for a linux savy, ofcourse it works well... ;)

what i would really like to say with all this is that, there are still some stregnth of automatix that gnome-app-install hadn't acquired yet. if incorporated by gnome-app-install , would in great magnitude improve gnome-app-install, and ofcourse another reason to not use automatix.

aysiu
July 27th, 2007, 07:27 AM
This whole question is contrived:which is easier to use, Automatix or Gnome-app-install? Easier to use for what?

Automatix is not a drop-in replacement for Add/Remove and Add/Remove is not a drop-in replacement for Automatix. They are two separate interfaces with two separate goals. Automatix's goal is to give users an automated way to get a lot of popular (and mainly proprietary) codecs and software installed. Add/Remove is a simplified version of Synaptic to install programs from the repositories.

This makes about as much sense as comparing the Ubuntu Guide (http://www.ubuntuguide.org/) to the Ubuntu Forums. (http://www.ubuntuforums.org) Both can be helpful to users. Both may have tips. But they do not serve the same purpose. One is a collection of commands to copy and paste. Another is an online message board with a community component and personalized help (which may or may not contain commands to copy and paste).

loell
July 27th, 2007, 07:52 AM
This whole question is contrived:which is easier to use, Automatix or Gnome-app-install? Easier to use for what?

ah yeah, i was not clear on that one. perhaps my complete question should have been.

is one easier to use for common ubuntu desktop setup? is one quicker to use for multiple setup whithout reading prior dcumentation?

tomcheng76
July 27th, 2007, 08:10 AM
i dun use them
i just use apt-get or synaptic software manager

loell
July 27th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Automatix is not a drop-in replacement for Add/Remove and Add/Remove is not a drop-in replacement for Automatix. They are two separate interfaces with two separate goals. Automatix's goal is to give users an automated way to get a lot of popular (and mainly proprietary) codecs and software installed. Add/Remove is a simplified version of Synaptic to install programs from the repositories.

this opinion varies from those prominent individual, who discourages the use of automatix for the reason that there is already gnome-app-install. which indirectly translate that gnome-app-install is indeed the official and supported replacement of a third party script like AX.

omns
July 27th, 2007, 08:19 AM
this opinion varies from those prominent individual, who discourages the use of automatix for the reason that there is already gnome-app-install. which indirectly translate that gnome-app-install is indeed the official and supported replacement of a third party script like AX.

How can you indirectly translate an official opinion. That is a nonsense. Aysiu is correct. these two apps are for different purposes. I don't understand the purpose of this poll other than to ignite a pro/anti Automatix debate.

Lord Illidan
July 27th, 2007, 08:34 AM

System -> Administration -> Software Sources

No CLI required.

I think gnome-app-install is the way to go.

loell
July 27th, 2007, 09:25 AM
How can you indirectly translate an official opinion. That is a nonsense. Aysiu is correct. these two apps are for different purposes. I don't understand the purpose of this poll other than to ignite a pro/anti Automatix debate.

actually, that would be the last thing that i would like to happen, i did not said that this is an official opinion. nor did i say that aysiu is wrong.

i said it varies . don't slander me on that.

FYI , it already ignited on the other thread, that is why i created another for a totally different porpuse

loell
July 27th, 2007, 09:28 AM
System -> Administration -> Software Sources

No CLI required.

I think gnome-app-install is the way to go.

i see , i'll take that into consideration. but i think in the official documentation its through command line.

frodon
July 27th, 2007, 09:33 AM
How can you indirectly translate an official opinion. That is a nonsense. Aysiu is correct. these two apps are for different purposes. I don't understand the purpose of this poll other than to ignite a pro/anti Automatix debate.+1

Some users are never tired of this kind of debate unfortunately.

loell
July 27th, 2007, 09:45 AM
+1

Some users are never tired of this kind of debate unfortunately.

hello frodon,

its unforunate that you view me as such a user, but to show my intentions clear on this matter, since usability had been discussed in previuos pages already.

as the OP, may i request to you or any present staff, that this thread be close.

matthew
July 27th, 2007, 10:02 AM
How can you indirectly translate an official opinion. That is a nonsense. Aysiu is correct. these two apps are for different purposes. I don't understand the purpose of this poll other than to ignite a pro/anti Automatix debate.+1

loell
July 27th, 2007, 10:06 AM
didn't you see my post above?

matthew
July 27th, 2007, 10:20 AM
didn't you see my post above?No. It appeared while I was typing my post. I'll close the thread now according to your request.