PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose what to play on guitar

Nonno Bassotto
July 26th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Hi, I'm a guitar player and I'm trying to diversify my style. :guitar:

In order to do this I have decided to study one song from each of a list of various players, so that I can learn a bit of their style. I think it will do me good, since I mainly improvise when playing, and I rarely take the time to learn entire pieces from other people, Of course I don't know very well all of these (although I know quite well some of them), so I ask you to advise me what to play.

So, if you know WELL one or more of these guitar players, just give an advice about ONE song to try, Please, tell me only if you know a lot of someone's production; I'd be able to choose the most popular and most obvious pieces by myself. Try to choose one that represents well the style of that guitar player,nothing atypical. Don't care about the level, I wil judge it, and try to do something gradual. Please, choose electric guitar pieces, rather than acoustic (and no steel guitar, since I don't own one).

Ok, here's the list, in no particular order (yes, I know it will be a loooong program):

Mark Knopfler
Eric Clapton
Ritchie Blackmore
John Petrucci
Frank Gambale
Steve Morse
Paul Gilbert
Allan Holdsworth
Pat Metheny
Stef Burns
Steve Rothery
Robert Fripp
Carlos Santana
Brian May
David Gilmour
Angus Young

I already got some ideas about these:

Jimi Hendrix - Gypsy eyes
Eddie Van Halen - Eruption?
Steve Vai - For the love of God
Joe Satriani - Devil's slide or Satch boogie
Tony Iommi - Fluff off or Supernaut
Yingwie Malmsteen - Fugue Concerto Suite for Electric Guitar and Orchestra in E Flat Minor
Jimmy Page - Since I've been loving you
Steve Ray Vaughan - Texas flood
Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover

Thank you for your help!

bchaffin72
July 26th, 2007, 09:22 PM
For Iommi, I would suggest Fluff off the Black Sabbath Sabbath Bloody Sabbath album. It is a rather clean acoustic style piece. One of my favorites, but not one most people think of.

Patrick-Ruff
July 26th, 2007, 09:41 PM
hey man, do you mind? we already have a HUGE thread specifically for this :D. I'd prefer you post in there instead of some separate place.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=246089

I will contribute one thing though. joe satriani's hardest song is definitely Devils Slide.

tcpip4lyfe
July 26th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I like to stream some blues and jam along. Lots of different styles. It keeps me entertained.

koenn
July 26th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Jimi Hendrix :

-Little Wing
Has that nice chord/melody mixture.
Also covered by Steve Ray Vaughan

- Gypsy Eyes
melody and a really fast riff.

- Red House.
Sounds like just another 12-bar blues, but i think the guitar part(s) have more to it than meets they eye.

Patrick-Ruff
July 26th, 2007, 10:02 PM
the intro to little wing is tricky.

shen-an-doah
July 26th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Another Iommi suggestion:

Supernaut (Black Sabbath) - An awesome song and my personal favourite Iommi riff. It'll also give you some nice exercise with chords you wouldn't find in most standard rock stuf.

I still can't play it :(

xc3RnbFO8P
July 26th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Jimmy Page, my favorit " since Ive been loving you "

Patrick-Ruff
July 26th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Over The Hills and Far Away - Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)

this song will make you really work on your picking AND chord switches. I got it down in two weeks but I really have a constant issue with the way I pick . . .

trak87
July 26th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Check out these brilliant players:

Jeff Beck, Baden Powell de Aquino, African guitar styles like Oliver "Tuku" Mtukudzi.

Edit: also Al Di Meola

Nonno Bassotto
July 26th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Thank you for your quick answers! I've updated the original post.

@Patrick-Ruff: I will participate in the discussion you posted,but I'd rather leave this thread separate, as it is just a poll for myself (and other people who want to try the same training).

reclusivemonkey
July 26th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Nick Drake - Just throwing him in there as very few people have heard of him.

xl_cheese
July 26th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Hi, I'm a guitar player and I'm trying to diversify my style. :guitar:

In order to do this I have decided to study one song from each of a list of various players, so that I can learn a bit of their style. I think it will do me good, since I mainly improvise when playing, and I rarely take the time to learn entire pieces from other people, Of course I don't know very well all of these (although I know quite well some of them), so I ask you to advise me what to play.

So, if you know WELL one or more of these guitar players, just give an advice about ONE song to try, Please, tell me only if you know a lot of someone's production; I'd be able to choose the most popular and most obvious pieces by myself. Try to choose one that represents well the style of that guitar player,nothing atypical. Don't care about the level, I wil judge it, and try to do something gradual. Also, if you can advise me about other guitar players which are worth studying, just tell me. Please, choose electric guitar pieces, rather than acoustic (and no steel guitar, since I don't own one).

Ok, here's the list, in no particular order (yes, I know it will be a loooong program):

Jimi Hendrix - Gypsy eyes
Mark Knopfler
Eric Clapton
Ritchie Blackmore
Eddie Van Halen
John Petrucci
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani - Devil's slide
Tony Iommi - Fluff off or Supernaut
Frank Gambale
Steve Morse
Paul Gilbert
Yingwie Malmsteen
Allan Holdsworth
Pat Metheny
Stef Burns
Steve Rothery
Jimmy Page - Since I've been loving you
Steve Ray Vaughan
Robert Fripp
Carlos Santana
Brian May
David Gilmour
Angus Young

Thank you for your help!

Not about what you play, but how you play it.

Favorite Hendrix tune: Machine Gun from the band of gypsies.

I can't stand Yingwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Steve Morse, etc.

thisllub
July 26th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Please, choose electric guitar pieces, rather than acoustic

And I thought you wanted to learn guitar. You really just want chicks.

Nonno Bassotto
July 26th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Not about what you play, but how you play it.

Favorite Hendrix tune: Machine Gun from the band of gypsies.

I can't stand Yingwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Steve Morse, etc.

I don't like all the players I have listed (for example I don't like Malmsteen). But I want to try out different genres.

And... well, you may want to try to listen to Steve Morse again.

Nonno Bassotto
July 26th, 2007, 11:19 PM
And I thought you wanted to learn guitar. You really just want chicks.

:D

matthew
July 26th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I thought I would chime in with a few of my favorites from your list that hadn't already received recommendations.

Mark Knopfler - money for nothing ...makes me laugh, plus it's a memorable riff

Eric Clapton - wonderful tonight ...not a hard song, but it makes my wife swoon
- layla, electric version, or crossroads ...if you need one of his classics

Eddie Van Halen - eruption...at least that's the most recommended
- you could try the guitar part from "jump" </joke>

Steve Vai - for the love of god, or greasy kid's stuff

Yngwie Malmsteen - Fugue Concerto Suite for Electric Guitar and Orchestra in E Flat Minor

Joe Satriani - satch boogie

Steve Ray Vaughan - scuttlebuttin'

and some you didn't have

Roy Buchanan - five string blues

Henry Garza (Los Lonely Boys) - onda

Eric Johnson - cliffs of dover

B.B. King - rock me baby

Wow, those are just some off the top of my head. If you learn to play all those (well, with feeling) you will be better than me by far. Best wishes!

Patrick-Ruff
July 26th, 2007, 11:33 PM
hey man, don't forget about Texas Flood - Vaughan :D.

and electric guitar doesn't necessarily mean chicks. though that seems to be what people have turned it into.

acoustic is nice, but it doesn't have the wide range of sounds that electric has. (though, electric can't get the same sound as acoustic on it's best day.) so they're just to separate styles.

thisllub
July 27th, 2007, 12:42 AM
hey man, don't forget about Texas Flood - Vaughan :D.
acoustic is nice, but it doesn't have the wide range of sounds that electric has. (though, electric can't get the same sound as acoustic on it's best day.) so they're just to separate styles.

That is why I have 5 of em.

xl_cheese
July 27th, 2007, 01:00 AM
The single most inspirational thing that made me play a lot was watching this:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YZ6M9XCXL._SS500_.jpg

I watched it like 5 times in a row the first time I saw it.

Nonno Bassotto
July 31st, 2007, 01:59 PM
Bump - any ideas about the remaining players?

BLTicklemonster
August 1st, 2007, 03:28 AM
Play the strings, m8. :guitar:

steveneddy
August 1st, 2007, 03:52 AM
To really get to be a good player, stop only "improvising" and actually learn the songs all the way through. Anybody can whack off to the solo, but to be a truly great guitarist, you have to spend the time on the song. Music is about the song, not the intro, or the lead break. Where would the radio be if all we heard were the leads?

Spend the time to learn the entire song. The rhythm, the lead and the dynamic of the song in general to become a true well rounded player.

When practicing, don't wear yourself out on one song. Warm up, play a little, then move on to the song you are learning. And don't forget to stretch your fingers before and during play.

:guitar:

Nonno Bassotto
August 1st, 2007, 01:30 PM
To really get to be a good player, stop only "improvising" and actually learn the songs all the way through. Anybody can whack off to the solo, but to be a truly great guitarist, you have to spend the time on the song. Music is about the song, not the intro, or the lead break. Where would the radio be if all we heard were the leads?

Spend the time to learn the entire song. The rhythm, the lead and the dynamic of the song in general to become a true well rounded player.

This is exactly what I want to do and the very reason of this post. I just would like be advised about what is worth learning from players I do not know (and I put also the ones I know for good measure).

%hMa@?b<C
August 1st, 2007, 01:41 PM
one song that I am learning right now and really enjoy is "Canon Rock"
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/jerryc/canon_rock_tab.htm

steveneddy
August 5th, 2007, 08:49 PM
This is exactly what I want to do and the very reason of this post. I just would like be advised about what is worth learning from players I do not know (and I put also the ones I know for good measure).

Stop posting and play then. You won't get any better playing on the computer.

Shut up and play!

Lock your self in your bedroom with 100 of your favorite cd's and go at it. Come out for food, showers and going to work. Other than that, play your hiney off for at least a year.

That is the ONLY way you will ever build up your chops. Start easy, like ZZ Top and move forward from there.

FYI - I was one of the top professional players in the DFW area in my 20's (the late 80's - late 90's) and I played everything from rock to jazz to country and everything in between. To learn songs, I would plug my live rack in to a small mixer, use a jam box style of cd player and plug the headphone output into the mixer also and "live" in the headphones until I got the song down.

Get good at pausing the song, rewinding the cd a little, maybe even capturing a small phrase on the PC and looping it over and over with a two second delay in between and learn one small lick or phrase after another, then put them all together.

One note, one lick, one chord, one song at a time.

Just play with the cd's. Just play.

EDIT:

One more thing.

Don't quit!

Patrick-Ruff
December 6th, 2007, 06:56 AM
it might also be a good idea to look into reading music, if you don' tknow how to already. helps you understand how music works and compose your own songs ;).

LookTJ
December 6th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Hmm...these songs make your fingers move really well in my opinion:
1. DEEP PURPLE - Smoke On The Water
2. ACDC - Back In Black

Patrick-Ruff
December 6th, 2007, 07:16 AM
eh, those songs are really really really basic. maybe if you're an absolute beginner and need something to get started, but as far as I'm concerned those songs don't really do much of anything to me. there are a lot of led zeppelin songs that really get your fingers going, and picking.

it's essential that you get your picking as good as your fretting, otherwise you'll end up being hooked on legato playing or you'll just plain sound like crap.

if anything, I'd go for playing the stairway to heaven solo perfectly, that'd be a good accomplishment ;).

TomMK
December 6th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Mark Knopfler - Sultans of Swing

Perfect example of how to play electric finger style

rune0077
December 6th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Ugh ... must ... have ... Elvis Costello ... on ... the list - He will never go down in history as a great guitar player, but no list of rock n' roll's finest would be complete without him.

ericesque
December 6th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Admittedly, I'm not familiar with all the songs mentioned, I don't think anyone has advised anything even remotely like Pinball Wizard by The Who. You could spend months just trying to get the strumming pattern down.

I've also really enjoyed learning Crossroads by Clapton. It's a great study in phrasing and how to build on solos throughout a song.

Znort_Ubern00b
December 6th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Mark Knopfler - Brothers in arms or your lastest trick
Eric Clapton - Layla