PDA

View Full Version : I'm taking a vacation from the forums

matthew
July 26th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I'll be around the next couple of days (today is July 26th), but beginning early next week I'm taking some time off from forums. I'm going to spend August with my family. I'll catch up with everyone again in early September.

aktiwers
July 26th, 2007, 08:53 PM
See ya in September Matthew.. I am going to do the exact same thing :)

John.Michael.Kane
July 26th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Take it easy Matthew, and have a fun time.

aysiu
July 26th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Cool. Breaks are good.

MetalMusicAddict
July 26th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Have fun Matthew. I know how you feel. ;)

wieman01
July 26th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Cool. Breaks are good.
They are... Had my vacation in July and feel much more motivated after a 4-week break. See you then, Matthew.

EDIT:
Glad you are finally back, Aysiu.

FuturePilot
July 26th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Have a fun, safe trip Matthew! :)
We'll still be here when you get back

:guitar:

NilsE
July 26th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Enjoy Matthew :guitar:

misfitpierce
July 26th, 2007, 09:18 PM
So long... Ubuntu community will miss thee :)

starcraft.man
July 26th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Adios, have a nice break. :)

sparks0548
July 26th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Breaks good.......I did a tour in Iraq for my vacation. Nice way to get away from my ex-wife......LOL. My 3 yo missed me like crazy though.

Have fun, be safe, wait 30 minutes after eating before swimming!!

Atomic Dog
July 26th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Gonna collect some fossils in the Atlas mountains? I envy you being in Morocco. I would spend all my free time collecting fossils.

matthew
July 26th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Gonna collect some fossils in the Atlas mountains? I envy you being in Morocco. I would spend all my free time collecting fossils.lol

The Atlas are a lot like the Mogollon Rim...and I've found some good fossils up there, too. :)

(Arizona native here...)

RAV TUX
July 26th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I'll be around the next couple of days (today is July 26th), but beginning early next week I'm taking some time off from forums. I'm going to spend August with my family. I'll catch up with everyone again in early September.

Mazel Tov!... ;)

Have fun...

Jozef

Atomic Dog
July 27th, 2007, 12:27 AM
lol

The Atlas are a lot like the Mogollon Rim...and I've found some good fossils up there, too. :)

(Arizona native here...)

Yea, I have found some good brachiopod composita up there -some almost 2.5 inches across. Plus a bunch of chertized brachs and other critters up there. Christopher creek has some great collecting spots as well as my spot for composita north west of Payson. I also have a spot for collecting geodes up there outside of Payson.

I have tried finding a spot for fern fossils near christopher creek -an old abandoned uranuim mine, but so far no luck. I discovered it was there from a paper a student at ASU published in the 70s. If you want some maps of collecting spots I have accumulated, feel free to PM me if you come back to AZ.

Go collect some fossils for me out there. Some of the best collecting spots in the world is there in Morocco. At minimum, buy some nicely prepped trilobites while there. They are probably 1/10 the price as here. I have a couple Moroccan connections in Tuscon, but they only come once a year for the fossil/gem show.

lisati
July 27th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Cool. Breaks are good.

Spending time with family can be a good thing too......

matthew
July 27th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Yea, I have found some good brachiopod composita up there -some almost 2.5 inches across. Plus a bunch of chertized brachs and other critters up there. Christopher creek has some great collecting spots as well as my spot for composita north west of Payson. I also have a spot for collecting geodes up there outside of Payson.

I have tried finding a spot for fern fossils near christopher creek -an old abandoned uranuim mine, but so far no luck. I discovered it was there from a paper a student at ASU published in the 70s. If you want some maps of collecting spots I have accumulated, feel free to PM me if you come back to AZ.

Go collect some fossils for me out there. Some of the best collecting spots in the world is there in Morocco. At minimum, buy some nicely prepped trilobites while there. They are probably 1/10 the price as here. I have a couple Moroccan connections in Tuscon, but they only come once a year for the fossil/gem show.Thanks. I've considered buying some fossils and minerals from local Berbers in the mountains before I come back to Arizona next time, just to sell to people who show things at the Gem & Mineral Show in Tucson, or the big shindig in Quartzite...we'll see if it happens. I have three kids, all five or younger. The logistics of this might be a bit more than I can really handle and make a profit on. :)

I do have a nice trilobite and some other small stuff...to be honest, I'm not extremely knowledgeable about these things.

wersdaluv
July 27th, 2007, 12:41 AM
It's good to take breaks but I'm telling you, it's highly probable that you will get tempted to open ubuntuforums.org except if you are not going to have internet access on those times. LOL

Take care!

Somenoob
July 27th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Enjoy your time

Atomic Dog
July 27th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Thanks. I've considered buying some fossils and minerals from local Berbers in the mountains before I come back to Arizona next time, just to sell to people who show things at the Gem & Mineral Show in Tucson, or the big shindig in Quartzite...we'll see if it happens. I have three kids, all five or younger. The logistics of this might be a bit more than I can really handle and make a profit on. :)

I do have a nice trilobite and some other small stuff...to be honest, I'm not extremely knowledgeable about these things.

It's hard to make a living at it, and worse there are a lot of fakes. You should at least buy a few for yourself if the opportunity presents. Most Moroccan trilobites are broken apart (to see if there's a trilobite in there) and glued back together then abraded (sandblasted). If you see a glue line the chances of it being real are vastly higher (though they are very good at repair and the crack as fine as a hairline). I am seeing less fakes and more real trilobites the last few years. Seems that the dealers have realized that Morocco has been given a black eye over all the fakes. Plus the big trilobites are not only ugly but more often fakes. I have seen some really good specimens in Tucson for $15 to $20 that have fine detail and little to no repair. (the $5 ones are usually beat up and look like crap).

Man would I love to spend a month there.

I'll pm you some pics of my collection late tonight so you know what to look for...just in case you decide to buy. I'd like to see you prepared and know what to look for if you are going to spend money. Have a good time!

Rocket2DMn
July 27th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Cool deal man, I'd love to be able to go home and spend some time with my family. That will have to wait until Christmas, I'm afraid. Enjoy it for the rest of us!

matthew
July 29th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks, everybody. I just started packing. Two half days of work, and I'm outta here. :)

H.E. Pennypacker
July 30th, 2007, 01:17 AM
matthew, would you mind not coming back? Thanks.