PDA

View Full Version : IT predictions you doubt?

Somenoob
July 26th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Mine

1. Every application will be within a web browser

sounds just plain inconvenient to me, and there a lot of special purpose programs out there that probably won't find their way to the browser.

2. Laptops will replace everything

Laptops are needless in many areas(Mainframe computers and servers, among others)

beercz
July 26th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Obvious is suppose:

Windows will work properly, be reliable, secure, free of viruses, spyware, and fast!

AndyCooll
July 26th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Microsoft will tell someone (anyone!) what patent infringements Linux has allegedly infringed.

:cool:

Sayers
July 26th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Laptops might become more powerful but desktops ill always be more powerful at a better price. Laptops have limitations. I like my desktop. I can't have a huge screen on a laptop without it being quirky and everything in a browser is very dumb. Things I bet windows will experiment on the mass market.

LaRoza
July 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Mine

2. Laptops will replace everything

Laptops are needless in many areas(Mainframe computers and servers, among others)

I agree, Laptops are possibly the worst design for a computer, and if such a design isn't neccessary, it shouldn't be used.

happy-and-lost
July 26th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Here in the UK, mobile telecommunications companies (Especially Vodafone and T Mobile) seem to believe that everyone will want to browse the web on their phone. I can't see this happening, as the web is best viewed at 1024x768 and above.

LaRoza
July 26th, 2007, 01:15 PM
...as the web is best viewed at 1024x768 and above.

An unfortunate situation, a good web developer tests sites in many resolutions, and makes sure it works in 800x600. Many sites now are not so great at 1024x768.

happy-and-lost
July 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM
An unfortunate situation, a good web developer tests sites in many resolutions, and makes sure it works in 800x600. Many sites now are not so great at 1024x768.

True, but it would not be much fun browsing the web even on my mid-spec phone with a screen res of 176x220...

Sunforge
July 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Speaking as someone who has to maintain quite a number of laptops I think they're dreadful. They're underpowered, overpriced and fall apart all too easily.

Web browsers are more interesting. I think that there are a large number of applications which could work successfully through a browser but there will always be a space for desktop applications in areas where you don't want or can't get network connectivity.

LaRoza
July 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM
True, but it would not be much fun browsing the web even on my mid-spec phone with a screen res of 176x220...
True, the way I see it, phones are for talking to people, and other communication functions.

Actually, CSS allows for style sheets specifically for different media, but the specification is not well supported.

tcpip4lyfe
July 26th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Mine

1. Every application will be within a web browser

I think iGoogle is just a beta for the google OS. I have everything in igoogle. Stocks, email, RSS feeds, News, important docs, my schedule and calander. I spend more time on my iGoogle homepage then anything else I do. If it had a built in last.fm streamerI wouldn't need anything else.

Somenoob
July 26th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I think iGoogle is just a beta for the google OS. I have everything in igoogle. Stocks, email, RSS feeds, News, important docs, my schedule and calander. I spend more time on my iGoogle homepage then anything else I do. If it had a built in last.fm streamerI wouldn't need anything else.

I'm just too much of a traditionalist :)