PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Foundation about to seperate from Thunderbird

Erunno
July 26th, 2007, 11:47 AM
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/mitchell/archives/2007/07/email_futures.html

Mozilla Chief Lizzard Wrangler Mitchell Baker blogged about the wish of the Foundation to find a "new, separate organizational setting for Thunderbird" to concentrate their efforts on their flagship Firefox, practically ditching one of the oldest Mozilla projekts.

Well, at least they're honest as Thunderbird was always the unloved stepchild of the Mozilla Foundation with infrequent releases and a minimum of development effort.

Discuss.

DC@DR
July 26th, 2007, 12:37 PM
That's sad for Thunderbird's fans but it's good to see that Mozilla focus its resource on improving FF :-)

forrestcupp
July 26th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Maybe that's good for Thunderbird. If someone else picks it up, then maybe they will actually do some work to it. Maybe they will even give it a built-in calendar. I don't know why they never did that. (I know about the plugin)

mdsmedia
July 26th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I like that Thunderbird is a standalone email client and not a combination email/PIM.

I love Kontact as a PIM and would love to see something similar that's not KDE based, but trying to add something to Thunderbird wouldn't make this Mozilla fan any happier.

Depressed Man
July 26th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Hmm can't decide if this is good or bad news. Good news because as someone pointed out. The Mozilla foundation always spent more energy on Firefox then Thunderbird (I use Firefox and Opera as browsers) but only Thunderbird as my email contact. Mainly because everything I want is integrated into TB (and the extensions that allow me to get emails from hotmail, yahoo) even without pop3 access (yay for page scraping!). Most other ones require me to start a 3rd party software just to use it with an email program.

Then again if nobody picks it up then there goes my favorite email program. :(

Arathorn
July 26th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Then why did they take up the opensourced code of Eudora? I'm sorry but all of this leaves me a little pissed. Now my two favourite mail clients are left unsupported and who knows who'll step up to do development on either Thunderbird or Eudora?. Maybe they should have thought about this a little earlier?

Dimitriid
July 26th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Ugh...Somebody recommend another good linux client supporting GnuPG then please.

smartboyathome
July 26th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Well, I am glad I stopped using this before it happened. It is sad, but this was bound to happen. Maybe someday they will pick it up again. Or, possibly, we will have another browser-only development (like we need more of those).

John.Michael.Kane
July 26th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Ugh...Somebody recommend another good linux client supporting GnuPG then please.

Claws Mail has GnuPG support.

happy-and-lost
July 26th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Shame. Will this affect Thunderbird's status as default mail program in Xubuntu?

Billy_McBong
July 26th, 2007, 05:16 PM
its good that they are going to focus only on FF(i think it has been going downhill)
but i hope someone else will pick up TB

FuturePilot
July 26th, 2007, 05:17 PM
That's sad for Thunderbird's fans but it's good to see that Mozilla focus its resource on improving FF :-)

Yes that is sad for Thunderbird fans, but will it really help Firefox on Linux? They already moved the Windows version to be their #1 priority.:(

tehkain
July 26th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Well I only use the gecko engine anyway. I just am not a fan of the bulk that has become FF(still better then IE). Maybe when webkit and khtml merge I will be able to use a epiphany-KHTML browser.

bread eyes
July 26th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Guys, Thunderbird not going to be abandoned.

Erunno
July 26th, 2007, 06:28 PM
That remains to be seen. No matter which of the alternatives they pick in the end this blog post clearly shows that the Mozilla Foundation has no interest in Thunderbird anymore so even in the unlikely event that it remains under the wings of Mozilla it'll be on the backburner and receive minimal resources.

And if half of the rumours about the messy state of the codebase are true it'll be difficult to attract new developers to continue the work.

Anyways, although Thunderbird isn't my preferred E-Mail cllient I know many people who use it alongside Firefox so the split will only weaken Mozilla's position on the (Windows) desktop. To what degree remains to be seen.

Depressed Man
July 26th, 2007, 06:33 PM
On a sidenote, does anyone know of email programs that can download yahoo and hotmail email without the help of a 3rd party program? (well TB technically uses an extension which could be a 3rd party). I just rather not have to start a bunch of programs just to download those emails lol.

I tried evolution once..it's nice but way to cluttered for me >.<.