PDA

View Full Version : Gnoppix + Ubuntu

overcast
July 22nd, 2005, 10:08 AM
i read over gnoppix site that ubuntu is teamed up with gnoppix.now i can we expect ubuntu to have graphics installer.cause i m seeing so many live installable cd's like Mepis,Suse.is it possible for to ubuntu to have graphical installer like anaconda that red hat have.maybe ubuntu team might already started with it but if not this is the suggestion.
also option of live installable cd,will solve the ship-it's 2 cd shipping cost problem.so instead of 2 cd's they can send 1 installable live cd+ 1 apps cd,that can include documentation,developer softwares or any other software that is not incuded.
tell me what you think??

Mr. Electric Wizard
July 22nd, 2005, 01:51 PM
What would be the advantage of a Graphical Installer?

hardwarder
July 22nd, 2005, 03:56 PM
A graphical installer would most likely make it seem friendlier to new users as a lot of windows users are afraid of the console. Even if the normal console installer and the graphical install are both user-friendly, the graphical installer is just more appealing to new users.

WirelessMike
July 22nd, 2005, 04:11 PM
I don't know how much difference it will really make, though.

There are screenshots available of the current installer and I think anyone who looks at them will be surprised just how user-friendly it is. To the noob, it may even be mistaken for a crude graphical installer.

That being said... Anaconda is open-source, though a fresh, unique, non-redhat graphical installer might be preferable. I've used a few and each has advantages. Anaconda is nice, but takes forever (kinda like Windows). Mandrake's installer is shorter and very aesthetically pleasing and does the job very well.

Overall, My experience with these has proven Ubuntu's current installer to be the easiest and quickest by FAR! It may not be elegant, but simplicity leaves little room for error.

poofyhairguy
July 22nd, 2005, 05:32 PM
In the future, Ubuntu will have something like Mepis: install from Live CD.

No anaconda.

UbuWu
July 22nd, 2005, 05:42 PM
There are screenshots available of the current installer and I think anyone who looks at them will be surprised just how user-friendly it is. To the noob, it may even be mistaken for a crude graphical installer.

It is quite user-friendly, except for the partitioning part! That part could really benefit a lot from a graphical installer. And it just looks better.

Actually I used a mandrake install cd to partition my harddrive, as I wasn't really comfortable with the Ubuntu installer doing it (especially when seeing that little skull beside some partition).