PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Ad hinders readability of weather warnings

Bungo Pony
July 26th, 2007, 04:39 AM
I just sent off a complaint to theweathernetwork.com for this horrible thing. It seems that ads for Microsoft Office are more important than severe weather.

strabes
July 26th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Funny, but why don't you just use firefox and adblock? I see ff is installed on your system...

Bungo Pony
July 26th, 2007, 04:43 AM
I don't like Firefox. The funny thing is this shows up the same way on my wife's PC running WinXP & Firefox.

Even if I block the ad, it still defeats the purpose of their site which is to relay weather information.

DeadSuperHero
July 26th, 2007, 05:16 AM
I don't see what everyone has against Firefox. It's a nice browser. Sure, it's sagging a little nowadays, but their upcoming release of Firefox (Gran Paradiso) looks really promising.
It's one thing to like something different, it's another thing to hate it.
Ok, all done ranting.

Seriously, though. Nothing annoys me more than seeing oversized ads covering actually important things. Weather, news articles, etc.

phrostbyte
July 26th, 2007, 05:28 AM
The Internet has ads?

DeadSuperHero
July 26th, 2007, 05:33 AM
The Internet has ads?

:lolflag:
Good post.

~LoKe
July 26th, 2007, 05:37 AM
That has absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft. It's how theweathernetwork setup the ad placement.

Tundro Walker
July 26th, 2007, 06:02 AM
RottenTomatoes.com (a movie review site) had the same kind of annoying pop-ups. They eventually did away with them, probably because enough folks (like me) wrote them tons of emails telling them how annoying it was, and how it drove me off.

Give them the analogy of the "pushy salesperson"...they'll understand. IE: you don't shop at stores that have sales folks breathing down your neck right and left. So, why would they think you want to browse their site if pop-ups are hindering your activity? It's dumb.

Off-topic, but it's like spam emails that use deceptive practices to get into my email box, then expect me to trust the product they sell. You've already destroyed my trust in you with your spam email...why would I do business with you? Then again, why would any company rely on spam when it simply turns people AWAY? (Maybe it doesn't for most folks, but it does for me...and since everyone is egotistical in thinking they're the "average" person, I assume everyone is just like me...LOL!)