PDA

View Full Version : linux? A way of life? cult? religion? brotherhood/family ? or just a community?

byen
July 22nd, 2005, 03:45 AM
Well, when I first used linux about 6 years ago.... I tried it out and being a newbie... chose the then-worshipped windows as my primary OS and stuck with it for a long long time. I liked it and in someways still think that Windows, under proper safeguards/precautions is a good operating system (dont get me wrong... Im a 100% linux user and I think that pretty much sums up where my loyalty stands). While using windows, I always read news about how big linux would be someday and how much it has advanced in the recent years. And believe it or not...every single linux-related news had something to say about how strong, closely-knit and passionate the linux community is and as to how quickly this community has adapted a cult/religion like-following.
And today, myself being a linux user...if you ask me... I just dont know how to put-it... DAMN! so many people from so many different countries whom i did not know.. just came forward in not just helping me install the OS but have patiently put-up with my sometimes silly-fundamental questions and took time off to answer it as well. Where else could you find such a group? wow..... I really cant find words to show my gratitude to you guys (for now lemme say thanks!) and I am proud to be a part of this............ cult?religion? brotherhood/family? community?

What am i a part of.... how would you term this relationship?

TravisNewman
July 22nd, 2005, 04:11 AM
all of the above. ;)

Kyral
July 22nd, 2005, 04:13 AM
A way of life!

When I die I want Tux on my gravestone....

poofyhairguy
July 22nd, 2005, 04:18 AM
Look at my sig for the answer.

Xian
July 22nd, 2005, 04:28 AM
Linux is like most things. It's what _you_ make it.
Good and bad.

FLeiXiuS
July 22nd, 2005, 04:32 AM
Linux is 42, enough said :-D

byen
July 22nd, 2005, 04:33 AM
more good than bad I Bet! and its good because you got someone watching your back whenever need be.... kinda kool! The only other group that comes close to this behavior might be the hated-AMWAY group....and though I would not dare put us on the same platform as them.... the passion is close... though one is delusional and the other is practical!

DarthBagel
July 22nd, 2005, 04:39 AM
Linux is choice.

Windows is a perverbial dictatorship.

And yes, I think it is just a community of people with something in common that we believe in, maybe for our own reasons, but we all want to make linux and OSS better.

edit: wrote one thing... thought another :?

gil-galad
July 22nd, 2005, 05:09 AM
Linux is freedom.

az
July 22nd, 2005, 05:22 AM
It is free software, in the sense of "not-proprietary."

papangul
July 22nd, 2005, 05:22 AM
This question is arising since the community of hackers is the driving force of the linux platform. You have got only some vague idea about the hacker's culture/attitude which you gathered hanging around linux, read this:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

benplaut
July 22nd, 2005, 06:52 AM
a cult :grin:

Howitzer
July 22nd, 2005, 07:09 AM
You forgot a selection...

An operating system.

I use Libranet folks. Linux is great, I like it, it runs my programs, and it runs them well.

That is all I want. :)

Knome_fan
July 22nd, 2005, 07:18 AM
Missing option:

- A kernel

Now if you were talking about GNU/Linux....
[/stallmanmode]

RastaMahata
July 22nd, 2005, 07:19 AM
Linux is 42, enough said :-D
best answer. ever.

poofyhairguy
July 22nd, 2005, 07:35 AM
You forgot a selection...

An operating system.

Not forgotten, just assumed.

matthew
July 22nd, 2005, 07:37 AM
Ubuntu is linux as a community or even a family. I tried some other distros and had more cult-like experiences (controlling, dogmatic...ok, no more near-bashing).

For me, linux is about freedom and choice. I happen to love the friendliness and spirit of people in the Ubuntu community and consider it a huge added bonus.

bored2k
July 22nd, 2005, 07:41 AM
Way of life / Community. That's all I want from it.

Actually, If it could make me earn money I'd appreciate that too.

benplaut
July 22nd, 2005, 07:47 AM
Way of life / Community. That's all I want from it.

Actually, If it could make me earn money I'd appreciate that too.

my... 2nd? cousin, Asher, is making 70,000 a year doing sysadmin on UNIX/Linux servers and desktops

apparently, there is money to be made :)

aragorn2909
July 22nd, 2005, 07:54 AM
Look at my sig for the answer.

Very good answer. Same goes for me.