PDA

View Full Version : Suggest something for me to do in Ubuntu

Gadren
July 25th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Configuring things in Ubuntu or fiddling around with interesting tidbits in Linux has become like an addiction for me... and I'm now at a strange point where I don't really have any issues with anything, but I don't want to just sit around and not learn anything... or play around with anything...

So... are there any projects that you've done, in Ubuntu, Linux, or computers in general, that you think was fun or interesting that you're recommend someone like me doing to pass the time this summer? :)

eentonig
July 25th, 2007, 06:03 AM
learn about sed and awk.

Borring stuff, but it will come in very handy for the future. When you want to change or adapt things. Or when working with text files.

simonn
July 25th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Learn C.

rsambuca
July 25th, 2007, 06:07 AM
I went through the same type of thing a little while ago. Try installing other distros to try out. If you install gentoo you will learn a lot about how your rig works, and the documentation is second to none. I currently have 7 different OS's installed, although I use 64-bit Feisty as my main OS.

CSMatt
July 25th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Use Ubuntu to cure cancer. What kind of cancer? EVERY KIND.

Seriously though, I'd follow simonn's suggestion and learn a few programming languages so you can mess around with the source code and potentially break a few more things. Of course I'd only recommend this if you have absolutely no enjoyment in other things in life. If you are that acquainted with the system, it's high time you invested into something else. Sitting at your computer and tinkering with it all day is fine for a hobby, but not as a way of life.

ZacDavis
July 25th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Use Ubuntu to cure cancer. What kind of cancer? EVERY KIND.

I'm under the impression that doing so would be insanely difficult if not impossible. I suggest learn some type of programming language and really make your own desktop.

CSMatt
July 25th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Well it would certainly keep him busy, and benefit humanity if successful.

Would you rather me tell him to compile the OS for his car instead?

lisati
July 25th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Why not browse the forums to see if there's a discussion you can contribute to? There are even discussions that don't directly relate to Ubuntu. Clicking on "New Posts" can be interesting,

EDIT: I think I've spent more time collecting beans on the forums than actually taking the time to play and learn!

the_darkside_986
July 25th, 2007, 07:28 AM
What I did whenever I got bored with Ubuntu's lack of problems was shrink my partition and install a dual-boot setup of Ubuntu + FreeBSD. FreeBSD setup is both fun and challenging, especially when trying to get wireless and 3D acceleration to work, but it is possible with little help from the online FreeBSD handbook. The handbook is a starting place but doesn't provide many examples of wireless configurations so some guessing is needed.

lisati
July 25th, 2007, 07:31 AM
masterbate

I just had dinner. Oh, sorry, that's "masticate".

CSMatt
July 25th, 2007, 07:40 AM
masterbate
That's not a word sir.

kerry_s
July 25th, 2007, 08:10 AM
try doing a custom build from the base up. see how small you can get it but still be functional and fast. try and make it look good while still keeping the size small. how low can you go?

Arwen
July 25th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Get away from your desktop and go mess up others' pcs,it can be healing for you (and a trouble for others :-P)
Seriously now you can learn c or python or any other language and I think it will be interesting to change more specific parts of your ubuntu.Kerry_s's idea is really challenging too,you can make your own ubuntu-based distro: IJWTMUMU/OS :-P:-P

*I Just Wanted To Mess Up My Ubuntu :guitar:

If I were you I would look more in the Idea pool of this forum,if you have time and inspiration you can offer a lot of help to ubuntu programmers :-)
Good luck :)

seipherdj
July 25th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Put colors in your bash prompt(why this isnt default I dont know).

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-tip-prompt/
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Color_Bash_Prompt
http://www.google.com/search?q=bash+prompt+colors&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a