PDA

View Full Version : Facebook site faces fraud lawsuit

RAV TUX
July 25th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Facebook site faces fraud lawsuit
The founders of a social networking website have taken legal action to try to shut down its rival, Facebook. Three founders of ConnectU say Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg stole their idea for the site while at Harvard.
Facebook has become a global phenomenon with about 31 million users, compared with ConnectU's 70,000.
A Federal lawsuit accuses Mr Zuckerberg of fraud, and misappropriation of trade secrets, and asks for ConnectU to be given ownership of Facebook.
Last year, Facebook turned down a $1bn offer from Yahoo.
Facebook has asked a judge at a Boston district court to dismiss the case.
The ConnectU founders claim that while at college Mr Zuckerberg agreed to finish writing computer code for them, but that he stalled and eventually created Facebook using their ideas.
In court documents, Facebook's lawyers say that ConnectU's "broad brush allegations" had no evidence to support them.
"Each of them had different interests and activities," they said.
"Only one of them had an idea significant enough to build a great company. That one person was Mark Zuckerberg."
Like Facebook, ConnectU is designed to connect people online. Users create profiles and can post pictures and messages.
The legal action alleges that ConnectU founders Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss and Divya Narenda began developing a networking site in 2002.
They asked Mr Zuckerberg to help finish the code, which he agreed to, they claim.
"Such statements were false," the court documents allege.
"Zuckerberg never intended to provide the code and instead intended to breach his promise ... and intended to steal the idea."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/business/6914843.stm

Published: 2007/07/24 23:57:52 GMT

starcraft.man
July 25th, 2007, 02:08 AM
LOL! Whatever... these kinda lawsuits pop up all the time. I highly doubt they will win, and if they do I'm gonna guess it's the end of the Facebook everyone knows (when large projects change management, it's usually for the worse).

Me, I never got into the social networking sites so doesn't bother me any which way.

%hMa@?b<C
July 25th, 2007, 02:38 AM
i have a facebook, but never check it or anything. I have a lot of friends who would probably commit suicide if facebook went under though.:lolflag:

Adamant1988
July 25th, 2007, 03:35 AM
This is about the same thing as how someone gets rich and suddenly they have a million and one relatives they've never heard of. It's just ConnectU trying to get some publicity and credit they didn't earn.

juxtaposed
July 25th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Bleh... Stupid people trying to own ideas. If you don't want other people to use ideas that you made, don't tell them to anyone.

starcraft.man
July 25th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Bleh... Stupid people trying to own ideas. If you don't want other people to use ideas that you made, don't tell them to anyone.

LOL! Next they'll be saying they patented the idea of a social networking site :p.

cmat
July 25th, 2007, 04:40 AM
I never like putting personal information on the net so I never register to them. I made one account as a way to humour my friends.

Kingsley
July 25th, 2007, 05:43 AM
ConnectWho?