PDA

View Full Version : PCLinuxOS ahead

Freddy
July 25th, 2007, 01:14 AM
of Ubuntu on distrowatch (http://www.distrowatch.org). If you choose to calculate back 3 months or less, PCLinuxOS is way ahead.

I have never used that distro but whats so good with it?

buzzmandt
July 25th, 2007, 01:18 AM
where is it ahead, page hits ubuntu is 1st pclinux 2nd

major distros ubuntu first, pclinux about 6th

I recomend this one to first time users, streaming video for almost all formats, java, flash, etc all install out of the box

Eggnog
July 25th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Good for PCLOS! It deserves the recognition. Whether Ubuntu is first on distrowatch, or PCLOS, or whichever, it's meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

starcraft.man
July 25th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Uhhhhhh, not distrowatch again. You know that one site isn't the single infoulable barometer of what distro is best/popular. I've only known about it for a short while, but from what I read it has been manipulated before I believe, it certainly isn't scientific. IMO it's like the old Alexis site ratings, it's nice to glance at once and a while and yet it's ratings are more or less irrelevant.

If your so curious about PClinuxOS go pop it in a VM or another partition, it's best not to rely on someone else's observations cuz everyone has their own taste.

Freddy
July 25th, 2007, 01:23 AM
where is it ahead, page hits ubuntu is 1st pclinux 2nd

major distros ubuntu first, pclinux about 6th

I recomend this one to first time users, streaming video for almost all formats, java, flash, etc all install out of the box
If you would have read my post, you would have seen that you need to change to 3 months or less of calculation.

3 Months back:
PCLinuxOS 2731
Ubuntu 2219

30 Days:
PCLinuxOS 2484
Ubuntu 2063

7 Days:
PCLinuxOS 2494
Ubuntu 2110

DarkOx
July 25th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Well, it focuses on the KDE environment, so it should probably be compared with Kubuntu rather than Ubuntu. I switched from Kubuntu to PCLinuxOS and the differences I've noticed are:

- Wireless is a bit better in PCLinuxOS than in Kubuntu. Often KNetworkManager would crash when I logged on to Kubuntu, which meant I'd have to re-log in.

- Both Beryl and Compiz come out of the box with PCLinuxOS, and can easily be selected with a few clicks in the PCLinuxOS Control Centre

- Software management is a little bit better in Kubuntu, which had more in its' repositories and more third-party repositories via digg or google or whatever. However, PCLinuxOS has most things in its' repos, and synaptic is just as easy there as it is in Ubuntu.

- Better default artwork in PCLinuxOS. Feel free to disregard this one though, because it's subjective.

Freddy
July 25th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Uhhhhhh, not distrowatch again. You know that one site isn't the single infoulable barometer of what distro is best/popular. I've only known about it for a short while, but from what I read it has been manipulated before I believe, it certainly isn't scientific. IMO it's like the old Alexis site ratings, it's nice to glance at once and a while and yet it's ratings are more or less irrelevant.

If your so curious about PClinuxOS go pop it in a VM or another partition, it's best not to rely on someone else's observations cuz everyone has their own taste.
No thx, I'm quite happy with my Debian with e17 install.

I just saw that PCLinux has passed Ubuntu and wondered why?

Freddy
July 25th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Well, it's focuses on the KDE environment, so it should probably be compared with Kubuntu rather than Ubuntu. I switched from Kubuntu to PCLinuxOS and the differences I've noticed are:

- Wireless is a bit better in PCLinuxOS than in Kubuntu. Often KNetworkManager would crash when I logged on to Kubuntu, which meant I'd have to re-log in.

- Both Beryl and Compiz come out of the box with PCLinuxOS, and can easily be selected with a few clicks in the PCLinuxOS Control Centre

- Software management is a little bit better in Kubuntu, which had more in its' repositories and more third-party repositories via digg or google or whatever. However, PCLinuxOS has most things in its' repos, and synaptic is just as easy there as it is in Ubuntu.

- Better default artwork in PCLinuxOS. Feel free to disregard this one though, because it's subjective.
But with Ubuntu and it's derivates you get all kinds of options, you can choose amongst many gui:s and if troubles should arise, a big community behind that are willing to help.

stepan2
July 25th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Pclinuxos also has a lot of gui's and there is a large community to back it up. What i tihnk of the dw stats is that i tihnk it does not count the hits on forums as many people dont go to ubuntu.com and then find forums rather they go to www.ubuntuforums.org. I think ubuntu is more popular because more people are
on the forums

Zzl1xndd
July 25th, 2007, 01:59 AM
It is good to see a Redhat based distro comming up the charts, Not my cup of tea but Debian and Redhat always seem to be the ones that hold our attention now its just threw thier children.

http://img2.pconline.com.cn/pconline/0612/21/929505_jz_b1.jpg

Gremlinzzz
July 25th, 2007, 04:10 AM
PCLinuxOS is a live cd you can try it without installing. just sign as guest and the password is guest if you want to install sign in as root password root
:guitar:

handy
July 25th, 2007, 06:56 AM
PCLinuxOS is a live cd you can try it without installing. just sign as guest and the password is guest if you want to install sign in as root password root
:guitar:

You can install from guest account too, I know I did it last night! :)

Great OS, really nice attitude on the forums & from the dev's. I expect it will become one of the major disto's.

steven8
July 25th, 2007, 06:59 AM
You can install from guest account too, I know I did it last night! :)

Great OS, really nice attitude on the forums & from the dev's. I expect it will become one of the major disto's.

I believe it is becoming a major. I really liked it when I tried it.

jrusso2
July 25th, 2007, 07:06 AM
PCLinux is able to pick up where Ubuntu fears to go. But this is what people want a distro that works out of the box.

fd9_
July 25th, 2007, 07:07 AM
PCLinuxOS. That's got to be the worst name for any distro, hands down. I mean, seriously - what we're they thinking?

Tux Aubrey
July 25th, 2007, 07:37 AM
It really is a nice, neat, simple KDE distro. It is a fork of Mandriva and only a couple of months younger than Ubuntu. It has the neat Mandriva-style control panel and uses synaptic for rpm packages (!).

But as far as the Distrowatch rankings are concerned, I must say I am highly suspicious. Looking at forum participation, Google Trends and any other indicator of usage you can think of, you could only conclude that there is some funny business going on. DW only measures hits on each distro's page on DW - something that even human beings would be able to manipulate, let alone a bot.

I'm also a little suspicious of Linux Mint's and Sabayon's last 7 days. They are nice distros too (although the latest Sabayon release seems to a have suffered a breakdown in the installer), but their non-distrowatch indicators are lagging a fair way behind.

It is a great pity (IMHO) that people still quote distrowatch as some sort of definitive guide to distro popularity - I picked up a magazine yesterday that had PCLOS on the cover disk describing it as the "Hottest New Distro on the Net".

As far as I can tell, the 2005-2007 growth in Ubuntu's user base outshoots any other distro by a factor of 20 or 30 - although it is difficult not to conclude, from comparing trend-lines, that a big proportion of this initially came at the expense of Suse, Fedora and Debian.

tigerpants
July 25th, 2007, 09:06 AM
All I care about with a linux distro is: does it work on my laptop? If not, its not use to me, ratings and popularity be damned. At the moment its:

Ubuntu - works
Everything else I've tried - does not work

Ubuntu = No1 linux distro for me. Think I'll go wave a flag :)

handy
July 25th, 2007, 09:32 AM
It really is a nice, neat, simple KDE distro. It is a fork of Mandriva and only a couple of months younger than Ubuntu. It has the neat Mandriva-style control panel and uses synaptic for rpm packages (!).

But as far as the Distrowatch rankings are concerned, I must say I am highly suspicious. Looking at forum participation, Google Trends and any other indicator of usage you can think of, you could only conclude that there is some funny business going on. DW only measures hits on each distro's page on DW - something that even human beings would be able to manipulate, let alone a bot.

I'm also a little suspicious of Linux Mint's and Sabayon's last 7 days. They are nice distros too (although the latest Sabayon release seems to a have suffered a breakdown in the installer), but their non-distrowatch indicators are lagging a fair way behind.

It is a great pity (IMHO) that people still quote distrowatch as some sort of definitive guide to distro popularity - I picked up a magazine yesterday that had PCLOS on the cover disk describing it as the "Hottest New Distro on the Net".

As far as I can tell, the 2005-2007 growth in Ubuntu's user base outshoots any other distro by a factor of 20 or 30 - although it is difficult not to conclude, from comparing trend-lines, that a big proportion of this initially came at the expense of Suse, Fedora and Debian.

Statistics can be made to validate anything I agree. As far a DW's integrity is concerned only the insiders would know. At any rate, I still believe that by it's merits alone, PCLOS is a number 1 hit, with a bullet! It will suit a large user base, being perfectly suitable to new users & veterans alike.

Great stuff, we are blessed with all these choices of fantastic OS's that the development community has made & keeps on improving for us.

No complaints here.

Swarms
July 25th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I must agree the name is horrible, and it would only help in their popularity if they switched it.

smoker
July 25th, 2007, 09:50 AM
imo i don't find anything wrong with the name, and changing it now would only lead to confusion. PClos, PCL, or PClinuxOS, all describe what it is, so why change it.

as far as popularity goes, i don't really care one way or another what is and isn't popular, as long as people are using linux, that's what matters to me,

2c.

steven8
July 25th, 2007, 09:55 AM
The name is fine. Why are people so hung up on names. Here is a short list of distro names and what they make me think of when I hear them:

Suse - children's book writer
Gentoo - a world in Star Wars
Sabayon - a wizard in LOTR
Elive - a protein drink for the elderly
Dreamlinux - a Spielberg distro
Linux Mint - a type of candy
Debian - a Star Trek villian
Slackware - loose fitting clothes

But they are what they are and I don't put them down.

Tux Aubrey
July 25th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Names! I always think of Sabayon and Linux Mint as the "After Dinner Distros"

http://ubuntuforums.org/g/images/167727/1_sabayon_mints2.png

No disrespect to either distro intended.

steven8
July 25th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Names! I always thing of Sabayon and Linux Mint as the "After Dinner Distros"

http://ubuntuforums.org/g/images/167727/1_sabayon_mints2.png

No disrespect to either distro intended.

No disrespect. Exactly. If names were totally important, then Dickies work clothes probably never would have made it at all.

Spr0k3t
July 25th, 2007, 11:18 AM
It is being manipulated. If you watch the numbers they aren't random... rather rhythmic. I checked out PCLOS, and found myself saying it would be a great distro if they weren't so concerned on making it look as close to windows as possible. Definitely a well done KDE3 install... but I think I'll pass. I think once it has moved ahead of Ubuntu there will be a slagging done on Digg or similar. From what I understand, if you browse through the forums, you can even find someone talking about "the all mighty cron job".

Distrowatch numbers is about effective as the registered linux users numbers you see in my signature. Some people participate, others don't, some just like to fluff the numbers as a way of saying "see I told you so".

Didn't I see this exact same thread two weeks ago? And, two weeks prior to that? I say fagedaboutit... use what you like. I'm sure many will try PCLOS and like it... others will complain or move to another. The problem I see with PCLOS is they try to narrow the massive gap that 'Linux is not Windows' which builds problems to those oblivious of Linux.

BigSilly
July 25th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I quite like the name, and think it would appeal to those wanting to try Linux for the first time. It's simple, clear and direct. It implies a solid dependable system imho.

I have a friend who has been using this distro for a short while and says it has really impressed him. I'm looking forward to giving it a go myself, though I can't see it replacing Ubuntu as our main family system. I don't think there's quite the choice of software there like we're spoilt with on Ubuntu. By the sounds of it anyway.

I think it's great for Linux though that we have so many great systems to choose from. I think Linux will be difficult for anyone to ignore now.

kripkenstein
July 25th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Just look at Google Trends: Ubuntu vs. PCLinuxOS (http://google.com/trends?q=pclinuxos%2C+ubuntu+linux&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0)

Sure, no one statistic tells the truth, but the simplest explanation is PCLinuxOS has somebody/thing hammering its DistroWatch page.

Tux Aubrey
July 25th, 2007, 01:09 PM
"....the simplest explanation is PCLinuxOS has somebody/thing hammering its DistroWatch page."

I agree - it reflects badly on all, but theres nothing you can do!

As for Google Trends - I was a great believer until I tried this one (http://google.com/trends?q=sex%2C+C%2B%2B%2C+Python%2C+Scripting%2C+ Compiling&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0). Ridiculous!

Eddie Wilson
July 25th, 2007, 01:25 PM
PCLinuxOS does look like a very good distro. I do like Gnome better than Kde but thats just me. Ubuntu has always worked great for me and I have tried other distros. I've been lucky in the fact that I've haven't found a bad one yet. As far as rankings goes I can't believe that a distro that is english only can be the #1 in the world. I could be wrong tho. Anyway I wish that I had the means to try out all distros. That would be a blast.:biggrin:
Good Day, Eddie

doog519
July 25th, 2007, 02:41 PM
"....the simplest explanation is PCLinuxOS has somebody/thing hammering its DistroWatch page."

I agree - it reflects badly on all, but theres nothing you can do!

As for Google Trends - I was a great believer until I tried this one (http://google.com/trends?q=sex%2C+C%2B%2B%2C+Python%2C+Scripting%2C+ Compiling&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0). Ridiculous!

What does it matter?
Linux is about freedom of choice. What does it really matter where a distro is ranked.
As long as it works great for you....it shouldn't matter where it is ranked?

My opinion of PClinxOS.......Simple and user friendly. And has a super clean desktop.Which I liked a lot.

Ubuntu it just works. Which is why it is so popular.
I'm not really in love with the gnome desktop. "I'm a KDE person"
But I want to use gnome so I can say I tried it. Who knows maybe it will grow on me .:)

Myself I enjoy installing and trying out different distro's. I find it relaxing and a way to learn more about Linux.

I also like beta testing distro's to see what I can break.