PDA

View Full Version : Please enumerate non-ui problems with The Gimp

mangar
July 24th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Lots of people claim that Gimp is not Photoshop equivalent.
Aside from the UI (that is actually quite similar to Photoshop in osX),
What is missing from The Gimp? what needs to be fixed?

--please do not repeat existing posts, let's just aggregate the problems

1. CMYK support

saulgoode
July 24th, 2007, 06:52 PM
2. "In place" text editing.

happy-and-lost
July 24th, 2007, 06:56 PM
3. Non resizable brushes. I know the new scale brush thing can resize brushes, but complex brushes become fuzzy when scaled up, unlike Photoshop's brush size handling.

stmiller
July 24th, 2007, 07:04 PM
4. Need support for 16bit images, and 32bit float (GIMP only supports 8bit images)

DoctorMO
July 24th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Importing vector images as paths (i.e svgs) (I don't think photoshop does this either mind you)

mangar
July 25th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Thats all? seems pretty finite list.

CSMatt
July 25th, 2007, 06:41 AM
What is missing from The Gimp? what needs to be fixed?
The name. You just can't speak it out loud without some nasty backlash or at least a double take by your listener.

frup
July 25th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Photoshop is for n00bs :P

I found the moment I began using gimp I began to think differently about what I was doing, I approach it more like a painting now and I think that has helped me a lot.

The only problem I have had is that on large files or when I am zoomed up very close my computer lags a lot. on zooming up, the cursor can be up to 5 seconds behind my mouse actions, on a huge file (i.e thousands of px in dimensions) it can become incredibly unresponsive, the same file which I began in gimp ended up being finished at uni in photoshop and I got more done in the 10 mins there than I did in the 2 hours at home. Still I've learnt more about photoshop through using gimp than I ever did by using photoshop, gimp allowed me to explore and because those stupid layer effects aren't so easy to do, I began to work out how to do things differently.

macogw
July 25th, 2007, 06:52 AM
3. Non resizable brushes. I know the new scale brush thing can resize brushes, but complex brushes become fuzzy when scaled up, unlike Photoshop's brush size handling.
Yep, that's been my only complaint from the start. Having a maximum brush size isn't cool. Er, I'm talking about paintbrushes, though. It just dawned on me that you might mean the pattern-y kind of brush.

ZacDavis
July 25th, 2007, 06:55 AM
I don't like how I have to keep clicking on the title bar of each part of The GIMP, I would rather a setup of GIMPShop.

CSMatt
July 25th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Alt-Tab: the 2nd-greatest shortcut ever invented. (The 1st was Ctrl-Alt-Del.)

Although I do agree with it being really annoying to have to switch windows, I believe the original poster said this wasn't for UI-related grievances.

ZacDavis
July 25th, 2007, 07:23 AM
I really didn't count that as UI, I don't care so much of how it looks as long as it gets the job done, and I have to admit I work faster in GIMPShop when I'm forced to use my Vista Partition, than when I use GIMP.

CSMatt
July 25th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Well it's not in the repositories. There's a Debian build listed on Wikipedia, but it has a dependency that the repositories can't fulfill. I'd recommend a good old-fashioned build from source instead. Also keep in mind that you can't remove GIMP without breaking Ubuntu.

Spike-X
July 25th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Now that I know it's possible to put a stroke (outline around text), I'd like it to be easier. As it stands now, it's a much more time-consuming process with the Gimp than with Photoshop.

steven8
July 25th, 2007, 11:04 AM
I never liked Photoshop at all. Hideous program. I like Paint Shop Pro, though. Particularly V7. I like GIMP, and have learned more about it over the last half year. I can get away with using only GIMP, although I do find text editing a bit arduous.