PDA

View Full Version : Making an own alternate CD

Maraujo
July 24th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Hello everyone!

I'm working on making a custom alternate CD of Ubuntu 7.04. I'm having a bunch of problems doing it.

1.- First thing is that I don't find enough information about preseeding directives. I'm using this site at the moment:

[URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/installation-guide/i386/appendix-preseed.html"]

Specifically I'm really curious with this exact directive:
tasksel tasksel/first multiselect ubuntu-desktop

¿Is this one reserved only to the Ubuntu tasks?

2.- When on the Internet people speak about tasks in Ubuntu ¿Are they just metapackages? I have done my own one and I would like to add it to the ALT CD. ¿Is it possible to add it just after the ubuntu-desktop task? Example:

tasksel tasksel/first multiselect ubuntu-desktop my-own-metapackage

Or I'm forced to use the pkgsel preseed directive.

3.- Where can I find documentation about how the Ubuntu members make the ALT CD and what scripts or tools they use?

4.- When I put 2 metapackages custom ALT CD makes weird things and starts downloading a debootstrap installation of Ubuntu from the Net and finally it boots up without X server. ¿Anyone has dealt with this issue?

5.- VMWare-Server and VIrtual-Box just work well in one out of three machines I'm using for this process:

Host A is not even able to boot the iso. This is the oldest machine, so I'm guessing is just a RAM lack.
Host B boots the isos. But it gets stuck when downloading the Release file from the archives ubuntu site. The point is that this happens even with the official ALT CD.

I'm saying this just to know if someone has some hint why it's happening.

Thank you very much for your time and effort in advance.

Regards