PDA

View Full Version : gutsy-dvd-i386.iso - invalid size

tnickl
July 24th, 2007, 10:31 AM
FYI, the max size of a DVD is 4 500 000 000 bytes.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/dvd/current/gutsy-dvd-i386.iso has 4 836 792 320 bytes (also when mounted), which is 4.50GB.
As result noone can burn it correctly.

scarboni
July 26th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Yes please fix this I'm trying to use it for a test machine that does not have an internet connection so really would like to have it on DVD.

scarboni
July 29th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Many of the DVD'sare too big (edubuntu comes to mind) & also even the daily live build CD (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/current/) of Gutsy is 701MB! This won't fit onto a cd. Anyone know where we can msg to find out if the compilers are aware of this?

vigyani
September 7th, 2007, 10:39 AM
I plan to download gusty-dvd-i386.iso daily (from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/dvd/current/ ) using jigdo (so that I can just update this image later on final release in Oct 07) but I observed that the size of gutsy-dvd-i386.template is 673MB. This is almost CD size where as other .template file are around 2MB. Just wondering why is gutsy-dvd-i386.template a huge template?

Any ideas?:confused:

Thanks in advance.
regards:lolflag:
Vig

shador
September 8th, 2007, 02:05 PM
So did someone mess up with the DVD? I downloaded it aswell and noticed the same thing. Quite annoying that after almost two hours of downloading the iso is useless.

Anyone with comments?

kingof1981
September 8th, 2007, 04:06 PM
try dvd with dual-layer.... then you've more then 8.6 Gb space...
and this is well more then enough...

shador
September 8th, 2007, 04:28 PM
It feels kida lame to waste a dual layer disc for just 100MB don't you think. Wouldn't it be better if they thought a little about this when creating the disc and maybe remove some things?

RaZoR1394
September 9th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I have the same problem with yesterdays amd64 iso. Great, I downloaded 4,6GB for nothing. There's no way I'm burning it to a dual layer disc.

pasisti
September 10th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Well, you could always buy a rewriteable dual layer dvd. That's what I think I'm going to do. It still feels quite weird that they haven't fixed this problem. They now about it anyway, as there are those ...OVERSIZED -files there.

btw, who are the people that put the images there?

RaZoR1394
September 10th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I burn all my operating systems to rewritable discs as new versions come all the time. Dual layer RW? Never heard of those and I keep buying new different kinds of media frequently.

em007a
September 10th, 2007, 02:24 PM
I have the same problem with yesterdays amd64 iso. Great, I downloaded 4,6GB for nothing. There's no way I'm burning it to a dual layer disc.The average cost of a dvd-r is .56
The average cost of a dvd-r DL 1.25

The difference is approx .69

If you absolutely need to try the latest builds, it seems like a small price to pay. If thats not a good option, you can always wait until the official release and order a free one from Ship-it.

kingof1981
September 15th, 2007, 03:01 PM
it is possible to burn ubuntu dvd with 4.6 GB to a dual layer.
why do you use only rw disc's... disc's are cheep...
just throw them when you don't use them anymore...
and why using disc's use usb disk's it's more simply...

jobbesat
September 17th, 2007, 07:32 AM
It feels kida lame to waste a dual layer disc for just 100MB don't you think. Wouldn't it be better if they thought a little about this when creating the disc and maybe remove some things?
And not only, because not everyone has a dual-layer burner, like me for example.
I tried to burn it in every way on ubuntu, on unix and windows, but nothing even with overburning.
Actually it's quite stupid even to try to burn such a great amount of data which you already know won't fit in a "normal dvd", but the willing to try the new version made me blind :)
Anyway, i consider totally out of the entire "open source philosophy" the fact that I have to buy a new dvd burner for linux

yulonglong
September 28th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I have tried to remove the programs components like mozilla, thunderbird, and so on. It fits in a normal DVD, but, I could not boot it.. Is there any way to exclude some files that are not needed for the edubuntu installation and booting which can be deleted??? thanx...:confused:

mikeize
September 28th, 2007, 02:38 AM
This maybe a dumb question, but why is the Gutsy beta so big? Not that it's a big deal (seems like it will fit on a regular dvd), but feisty and even the last daily gutsy I dl'd fit on a regular cd. Am I missing something? Does this beta version come with lots of extra stuff that won't be on the final ISO? The main annoyance is how long it takes to download (15+ hours over bt, and 7 direct). Someone set me straight.

-mike

edit: okay, I've found the cd sized version... so what the hell am I downloading? lol

edit 2: nevermind, figured it out! just wish I had looked around some more before downloading all that extra stuff I don't need. Oh well.

donkihote
October 17th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I have tried to remove the programs components like mozilla, thunderbird, and so on. It fits in a normal DVD, but, I could not boot it.. Is there any way to exclude some files that are not needed for the edubuntu installation and booting which can be deleted??? thanx...:confused:

This is a good question, someone pls?

Thanks a lot

fleckx
October 20th, 2007, 05:53 AM
You guys seriously can't find 100MB worth of 'junk' to remove from the DVD image? Not a great idea to erase Mozilla from the installation, should have gone for something less necessary, like OpenOffice (if it's on the DVD I have no clue, I couldn't find it earlier--about to download now thanks to you guys).

Ocxic
November 10th, 2007, 06:03 PM
don't single layer dvd's hold 4.7 GB I don't see why ppl are having problemes???

LinuxGuy1234
December 2nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
Look, a 4.7GB DVD is 481,280 MB! Which it translates to 4.7GB. The DVDs are not there. The CD ISOs are smaller now. Try them out, today!
Get your fresh ISOs here! (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/)