PDA

View Full Version : Python question

t2kburl
July 21st, 2005, 06:06 PM
I've just started programming. Starting with python as a summer course before I start a "real" (meaning = at a school) class which covers Qbasic and some VB.
The books I'm using ( Dive in to Python, and a tutorial that also includes Javascript and VBscript ) keep referring to IDLE. I can't find IDLE anywhere so I've been using kate.
Some of the code samples/exercises have bugs and I'm having trouble finding them.
Would I be any better off is I was using IDLE?
and if I DO need IDLE, where is it?

dataw0lf
July 21st, 2005, 06:22 PM
sudo apt-get install idle

I'd also suggest ipython

sudo apt-get install ipython

t2kburl
July 21st, 2005, 06:39 PM
sudo apt-get install idle

I'd also suggest ipython

sudo apt-get install ipython
duh .... can't believe I didn't think to try that before lol

schulermx
July 21st, 2005, 09:45 PM
I've just started programming. Starting with python as a summer course before I start a "real" (meaning = at a school) class which covers Qbasic and some VB.
The books I'm using ( Dive in to Python, and a tutorial that also includes Javascript and VBscript ) keep referring to IDLE. I can't find IDLE anywhere so I've been using kate.
Some of the code samples/exercises have bugs and I'm having trouble finding them.
Would I be any better off is I was using IDLE?
and if I DO need IDLE, where is it?

I'm not 100% sure but I thought IDLE was some sort editor that python comes packaged with. I mainly use python for my summer job but I stick with emacs as my editor. Of course there is always VI. But like I said I think it's just an editor.