PDA

View Full Version : Whats keeping me from being windows free....help?

metallicamaster3
July 23rd, 2007, 04:45 PM
I absolutly LOOOOOVE my Ubuntu installation on my computer. I got Beryl up and running and 2 seperate X screens (trying to find workarounds to get Xinerama...). It looks beautiful.

As soon as I wrapped up what I was doing in Ubuntu, I rebooted into Windows. I nearly cried.

And the only reason I still have windows in the first place is mainly because of the dual monitors, and iTunes. Yes, iTunes. And yes I know there are alternatives to iTunes, but i need the real thing. iPod, Podcasts, even the UI.

But, I am willing to GET RID OF WINDOWS COMPLETELY on this computer, when I can put my music on my home network. Then, side by side i can have a Windows computer, and a sexy kickass Ubuntu machine next to it.

When it comes down to the bone, its really just my dual monitor problem thats keeping me from doing so.

If you were thinking of suggesting getting rid of Dual montiors, know this. I WILL NEVER GO BACK!

My dual monitor problem:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=506591

videocheez
July 23rd, 2007, 05:07 PM
I have dual monitors working with but it's not the extended desktop type that I am completely addicted to in Windows. Both monitors are mirrors of each other which IMHO is a waste of electricity. No true dual monitor support is the one thing that keeps me running switching back to windows. When you run lots of apps simultaneously, dual monitors makes life easier.

metallicamaster3
July 23rd, 2007, 05:10 PM
exactly my point ;-)

On average, I have at least 10-15 windows open. Managing Websites, Monitoring my comptuers performance, Instant messaging, bunch of FTP folders....list goes on and on.

misfitpierce
July 23rd, 2007, 05:12 PM
iTunes 6 atm works through Wine. Try setting that up and hopefully another Wine version will come out supporting 7? Possibility I suppose but from what I read 6 works fine and dandy in Wine.

metallicamaster3
July 23rd, 2007, 05:13 PM
6 may work, but my iPod Nano G2 only supports v. 7.2 :(

aysiu
July 23rd, 2007, 05:17 PM
You already have a link to your actual support request, so this thread seems more appropriate for the Cafe.

I believe easier (GUI) Xorg configuration is a goal for Gutsy
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/

Jellicletrb
July 23rd, 2007, 05:47 PM
When it comes down to the bone, its really just my dual monitor problem thats keeping me from doing so.

If you were thinking of suggesting getting rid of Dual montiors, know this. I WILL NEVER GO BACK!

My dual monitor problem:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=506591

I used to run dual monitors with XP, so I know what you are talking about :) But, with just a little bit of getting used to it, I've found that a nice, single widescreen monitor and using the dickens out of the desktop switcher works better for me. At least I don't have that moment of confusion when I forget which desktop my cursor is on :lolflag:

igknighted
July 23rd, 2007, 06:08 PM
I used to run dual monitors with XP, so I know what you are talking about :) But, with just a little bit of getting used to it, I've found that a nice, single widescreen monitor and using the dickens out of the desktop switcher works better for me. At least I don't have that moment of confusion when I forget which desktop my cursor is on :lolflag:

I've found that when set up properly, Dual Monitors work very well in linux. If this is a priority for you, I HIGHLY recommend you try out Suse linux. The included Sax2 tool can set up perfect dual monitor setups from an incredibly easy GUI (look for it in the Yast control panel). The NVIDIA settings CAN do the job as well, but you have to remember to set all the resolutions properly and click "save settings to xorg.conf" after pretty much every step. Overall, the Suse way is the easiest way to set up dual monitors.

metallicamaster3
July 24th, 2007, 02:48 AM
yay. well tomorrow I am getting a PCI-X dual-out VGA (dual CRTs on this machine) nVidia card, so that TwinView can be used.

PS. I will always get nVidia cards. Always have, always will :woot:

metallicamaster3
July 24th, 2007, 02:50 AM
and @
I believe easier (GUI) Xorg configuration is a goal for Gutsy

WOOOT! thank gawd. I am actually testing Gusty on one of my MacBooks.....too bad i dont need it on there :P