View Full Version : Lab Management Software

July 23rd, 2007, 04:42 PM
Hi, all.

I am a researcher at the NIH working in a lab that currently has no supply inventory management / ordering system. Because of this, no one knows what reagents & equipment are available at any given time.

When we ask our lab manager to purchase a reagent, it often takes her months to remember and finally place our orders.

I know that a simple Excel spreadsheet would do the trick, but I'm looking for a longer-term software solution to this problem. It would be really nice if people could login through the network to request purchases or look up supplies, for instance.

Can anyone help us out? You'll save us lots of frustration if so.

:mad: An unproductive biochemist

July 23rd, 2007, 05:27 PM
There are a few open source ERP programs that have received a lot of attention, such as openbravo:

I've seen a few laboratory information mgmt systems (LIMS), but can't remember them off the top of my head. I'll take a look around and see if I can track one down.

July 23rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
OpenBravo looks really promising. I'll look forward to any other links you can forward. Thank you for your quick response!

July 23rd, 2007, 08:30 PM
Might check out chemicalInventory as well.

Let me know if you find something that fits your needs. I've been thinking about doing something similar for my lab, but haven't had time to test any software.