PDA

View Full Version : Subteams / Project Teams

rhoderickj
July 23rd, 2007, 01:45 AM
As we discussed at the last meeting, I am planning on creating space on the wiki for subteams, but before I do so, I wanted to get some feedback on a few things.

First, what exactly do we want these teams to be "classified" as? Do we want them to be "subteams," "project teams," "committees," etc. The only reason I ask is because Chuck mentioned the possibility of other regional teams in the state, and "subteams" can easily be confused with "regional teams." Maybe "project team" is a better term to use. What do you think?

If memory serves, we discussed a handful of subteams / project teams:

Install Fest Team
Presentation Team
Marketing Team
Wiki / Web Team

Personally, I don't think I ever got a final response on the wiki / web team, but I think they should be one and the same because the task of managing the wiki and the web site (once its up) will overlap a great deal. I think this team should simply be referred to as the "Web Team." Does anyone have any objections to this?

Once I create pages for the subteams, I will then fill out some basic information on each team as determined by our last meeting, I'll then create another post here to announce their creation and we'll begin recruiting. Remember that you can be on one or more teams, and much of the work will overlap, so the creation of these project teams is primarily to get ourselves better organized and to delegate responsibility for the management of events and activities.

-- Josh

parma1
July 23rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
Sounds like a plan.

-Joel

phr0ze
July 23rd, 2007, 08:12 PM
I like just team or project team.

Just my 2 cents.

rhoderickj
July 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Okay, I eventually decided on "operations teams" with a nod to the Pennsylvania LoCo for stealing their nomenclature. I'm not sure if anyone cares, but I don't want to just go making too many decisions without at least providing some insight into my thought process. So here's my reasoning behind this.

A "subteam" is any team that is hierarchially below the main team. This means that regional teams are subteams, and the Web Team and Marketing Team are also subteams, etc. So using "subteam" may become confusing if we gain regional teams in the future. Secondly, the term "project team" has one major flaw. In addition to events and stuff, we also have team "projects." One of these projects is the computer giveaway (about which I don't yet have enough info to give it a wiki page). So we may want to create a Projects Team in the future.

Ultimately, I think the term "operations team" is long but it accurately describes what we're trying to accomplish. In the menu I just shortened it to "OpsTeams" which is easy enough to say and write. Besides, when I was in the Army we used the term "ops" all the time for "operations" and it just sounds cool.

ChuckFrain
July 29th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Josh,

All the ideas that you've come up with so far have been fantastic. I haven't seen a downside to anything that you've chosen to do.

Thanks for all the great work!

Chuck