PDA

View Full Version : Why Ubuntu?

tcoffeep
July 22nd, 2007, 10:28 PM
If you use Ubuntu (or a Ubuntu-derivative), why this distro over any others?

cawill
July 22nd, 2007, 10:49 PM
I had used ubuntu before and it was recommended for linux beginners to use, though I have used other distros now, I have ubuntu set up the way I want so theres not much need to change.

tcoffeep
July 22nd, 2007, 11:01 PM
Ah.

BigCdaAnswer3
July 22nd, 2007, 11:02 PM
why don't you try out a liveCD and see for yourself? http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

tcoffeep
July 22nd, 2007, 11:25 PM
Are you typing this at me? If you notice, I use Fiesty Fawn and Debian Etch :)

I'd just like to know why not any of the others,,,

hizaguchi
July 22nd, 2007, 11:31 PM
I use Ubuntu for the out-of-the-box hardware support and detection and the fairly up to date apt repositories. Debian is nice for similar reasons, but I don't like having to worry about conflicting repos to get new software, and I like Arch but I kept running into things that required alot of configuration even a long time after my initial install and set up, and I don't have time to tinker with that these days.

stmiller
July 23rd, 2007, 12:05 AM
Ubuntu is easy to use and everything works. The focus of Ubuntu is the desktop user and that is clear to see. Also apt-get is great.

I was a Gentoo user for awhile in the past. I once asked on the Gentoo forum:

'How do I make CDs, DVD, etc. auto mount in Gentoo?'

Which I got replies of:

'Why on earth would you want that?'

Depressed Man
July 23rd, 2007, 12:11 AM
Mostly the community. I still have alot of Linux to learn, but I'm doing alot better with Ubuntu then I did with previous years of attempted entries into the Linux world.

Compucore
July 23rd, 2007, 12:19 AM
WHen I first read up about Ubuntu I thought it was a good time to switch at leat one of my other computers to work with it. And I have already tried a couple like Suse, Red hat, Mandriva for starters to see which one I thought might be good for me. When I tried Ubuntu I found I liked it better than the others. Maybe it is the way they made theirs different from the others. But still using debian for its version. THe others were okay for certain things like red hat for webservers, Or Sun Microsystem for something even more stable within the work place that is competition for Red Hat. I thought personally that Ubuntu was good for me. For me it is hard to put what actually got me stuck in ubuntu over the others. The others are just as good as buntu.

Compucore

starcraft.man
July 23rd, 2007, 12:27 AM
Why not? Hehehe, I know... bad.

As for me, Ubuntu does everything I need plus it has a great community and it is getting active enough development for me. Plus, I love apt... I feel something missing in distros without aptitude. Maybe later on I will try more distros again and see if I feel like changing, but right now no real reason to.

blithen
July 23rd, 2007, 12:37 AM
I was looking for an escape from the devil that is Windows.
I was thinking about Mac, but it's just to different. Also the hardware is weird and expensive.
Then I was searching linux, and found Ubuntu. Ubuntu was actually the first Linux distro I tried.
And I've been looking into some others. But there really isn't a need to change.