PDA

View Full Version : Push for AMD

Mais
July 21st, 2005, 10:14 AM
This post is mosly in response to the thread regarding Intel and DRM.

Many of you have already stated that you will switch to AMD on your next processor purchase. So, I have a few questions to ask:

1. Do you feel that an AMD adoption will become mainstream for Linux users?
2. Will AMD follow suit with Intel, or will they see this as an opening to branch in another direction?
3. Will this affect Apple's switch to Intel? What about consumer reaction to the switch?
4. How comparable will Intel architecture be to AMD? Will there still continue to be a solid cross-company architecture as there is now, or are we going to see seperate support seperate companies. (This already seems to be the case with 64bit personal computing)
5. How is this going to affect DRM and all PC legislation in first world countries?

my feelings:
1. not sure yet -- will probably depend on Intel's support for Linux in the future
2. Judging from AMDs commercials (especially those seen on OLN during Le Tour de France in the US) they will NOT follow suit and will instead make things simpler rather than more complicated
3. It's affected mine...I was thinking of putting together a cheap box for a shiny new OSX
4. I'm hoping they will still be cross compatible as this would otherwise be a nightmare for software developers. This could especially affect a AMD relationship with MS.
5. In the US, at least, I have a funny feeling politicians and legislators will jump on the DRM bandwagon to gain media-industry support :(

angkor
July 21st, 2005, 11:35 AM
I've already used an AMD proc for the last 4 / 5 years....and now I will definately continue to do so.

sapo
July 21st, 2005, 01:04 PM
I've already used an AMD proc for the last 4 / 5 years....and now I will definately continue to do so.

same here.. i ll change my duron this month to a s754 A64.. cause S939 is to freaking expensive here ](*,)

somuchfortheafter
July 21st, 2005, 01:15 PM
yeap if the processor isnt *nix compatable or has a crapload of drm built into it ill switch entirely to amd, right now my systems are divided evenly.

GeneralZod
July 21st, 2005, 07:17 PM
This post is mosly in response to the thread regarding Intel and DRM.

It's worth noting that AMD are involved with Trusted Computing, if you equate Trusted Computing with DRM:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/TCPA/TCG_-_Trusted_or_Treacherous

WirelessMike
July 21st, 2005, 08:40 PM
GeneralZod:
It's worth noting that AMD are involved with Trusted Computing, if you equate Trusted Computing with DRM:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/TCPA/..._or_Treacherous

From the site referenced:

The TCPA

Founded 1999 by Compaq, HP, IBM, Intel and Microsoft, the TCPA counts around 200 members by now, among them Adobe, AMD, Fujitsu-Siemens, Gateway, Motorola, Samsung, Toshiba and many others.

The TCG

As successor of the TCPA, the TCG was founded by AMD, HP, IBM, Intel and Microsoft in April 2004.

This doesn't seem to set AMD apart. While I do see some similarity, I don't think TCG is on the same level with DRM... And it appears that every other major pc player agrees. But hey-- you're right. It's worth mentioning.

DISCLAIMER-- The following opinion and predictions made are no wiser than any others posted in this forum:

In reference to some other questions... I'm not sure AMD isn't ALREADY the mainstream among Linux enthusiasts (certainly not exclusively, but I believe the majority of Linux machines are, indeed, amd-powered). I'm pretty sure AMD won't follow suit with DRM-- AMD is much more plugged into the user community. I don't see Intel's embracing DRM effecting Apple's decision at all-- I foresee Intel making custom processors to Apple's order based on their traditional offerings, but unique for Apple. AMD already "dumbed down" their technology to support Intel standards in the interest of hardware compatibility, but I doubt it will bring the architectures any more similar than they are now. As for legislation... Nobody can predict that.

Teroedni
July 21st, 2005, 08:55 PM
it's worth noting that AMD are involved with Trusted Computing, if you equate Trusted Computing with DRM:

thats true,BUT Amd are not planning to implent drm on a long time while Intel are planning it right now. Therefore i choose the one cpu maker that doesnt try to take my rights away(Atleast not yet)

Why Amd is with i cant answer on, but maybe they are afraid that they be left out if drm take over :-x

If enough people shows their support to Amd it may be that Intel have to redone its thinking and cancel Drm

Does anybody know if Via padlock is Drm?
They have it in their new eden and C7 processor.
Hope not :-x

crispingatiesa
July 21st, 2005, 09:03 PM
I have using AMD since the 486 time that makes it, lets say 15 years?

Anyway, AMD is a for profit entity therefore will do what the market demmands. If content suppliers start selling only to those with DRM able processors &/or hardware you can bet yo ass that AMD will somehow implement something similar.

Mais
July 21st, 2005, 10:00 PM
I have using AMD since the 486 time that makes it, lets say 15 years?

Anyway, AMD is a for profit entity therefore will do what the market demmands. If content suppliers start selling only to those with DRM able processors &/or hardware you can bet yo ass that AMD will somehow implement something similar.
Hopefully the users will show their dissapoval before the suppliers jumping on board. Sadly, predictions of the market usually will have more affect on this sort of thing than actual numbers. If they can get everyone to adjust hardware for DRM then consumers will have no choice but to have their money "support" it.

BWF89
July 21st, 2005, 10:10 PM
Since almost every major tech company EVEN NOVELL is onboard with this Trusted Computing (TC) thing can it really be that bad?

If TC was really as bad as everyone in the OSS community is making it out to be why is Novell supporting it? If TC was going to hurt Linux I'm sure Novell wouldn't be apart of it.

TravisNewman
July 21st, 2005, 10:18 PM
If Novell is behind it, then we know Novell's linux products will be fine, but the issue is whether people who aren't onboard, such as smaller distros, will come out ok. It's really a grey issue with no right or wrong answer, and nobody knows where it's going yet.

Teroedni
July 21st, 2005, 10:28 PM
"Anyway, AMD is a for profit entity therefore will do what the market demmands. If content suppliers start selling only to those with DRM able processors &/or hardware you can bet yo ass that AMD will somehow implement something similar."

yes but they will not do it before it threatens their economy, while Intel are planning it right now. So AMD will not impent drm before they have to, and therefore we should really stick to AMD.

AMD will ofcourse follow the market , but they are not the one pushing it, and AMD will be one of the last one to implented it.

Therefore go AMD!!

Knome_fan
July 21st, 2005, 10:31 PM
I don't think people should be too worried about TCPA. On the contrary, it's an interesting technology (that of course also has a potential for abuse, like many other technologies, but isn't evil in and off itself)
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6633
http://www.research.ibm.com/gsal/tcpa/

BWF89
July 21st, 2005, 10:39 PM
If Novell is behind it, then we know Novell's linux products will be fine, but the issue is whether people who aren't onboard, such as smaller distros, will come out ok. It's really a grey issue with no right or wrong answer, and nobody knows where it's going yet.
Well almost every linux distro site has one of those "No software patents in Europe" banners at the top of their site. But I haven't seen any with the "No Trusted Computing" banners yet.

So either they don't know about it yet (unlikely). Or they know about it and see that it won't really affect them.

miscz
July 21st, 2005, 11:39 PM
I've always used AMD's processors. I guess I became loyal to this company because of my sad experiences with Pentium 90. This processor did cost a lot when my dad bought but it was crap compared to AMD's 486 DX4 overclocked to 133mhz (no additional cooling!). I still have this computer running in my parent's countryside house with some office apps (too bad the only hard drive it wants to boot off is 80mb so I've had to install Windows 95 beta from floppies there :D).

BTW, does anybody have some experience with Athlon/Sempron/whateveron based notebooks? I'm going to buy one soon but from what I've heard AMD is far behind Intel in terms of energy consumption and heating.

poofyhairguy
July 22nd, 2005, 12:25 AM
Since almost every major tech company EVEN NOVELL is onboard with this Trusted Computing (TC) thing can it really be that bad?

On paper its not that bad. The problem is the potential for abuse.

BWF89
July 22nd, 2005, 01:44 AM
I'm not really sure where I stand on the issue of Trusted Computing but heres an arguement:

Well the guy who invented dynomite created it to mine precious metals and coal more efficiently. But people lit it on fire and threw it at advancing enemy troops soon afterward.

Would you ban the creation of dynomite for everyone just because some people use it to blow up buildings at people?

If companies abused Trusted Computing then people would sue them.

Ubunted
July 22nd, 2005, 02:11 AM
BTW, does anybody have some experience with Athlon/Sempron/whateveron based notebooks? I'm going to buy one soon but from what I've heard AMD is far behind Intel in terms of energy consumption and heating.

No experience with the above, but the new Turion chips are supposed to be a step above the Pentium-M (natrually).

Omnios
July 22nd, 2005, 03:33 AM
Personaly there are more reasons than DRM that are guiding me to look into AMD. From what ive read so far there trying to stop people from ripping there legal cd's to mp3 etc and a few other aspects. I date back to the C65 days where a lot of peoples idea of going to get a new game consisted of grabbing a floppy and walking down to a friends house and having 3 or 4 backup copies of a game where common.

Anyways It looks like intel is following microsofts lead of trying to turn the PC into a $3,000 overglofied entertainment system/controll system. I wan't a PC which means computer not a entertainment system. My solutions so far is Linux and if intel chips turn into and are optimised into entertainment systems then no dought I will go AMD.

The idea of not being able to burn a cd into mp3 is disturbing its like you plug in your mp3 and try putting a cd onto it and you get a message sorry this item is protected and cannot be coppied, Please follow link to the Mircrosft website where you can buy legal copies of these songs. Anyways this may be way off and ill sit and wait as im not due for an upgrade for a while but needless to say Im buying a computer not an entertaiment system.

As for Apple it will both hurt them and better them. Many harcore Apple users like the current chipsets yet they are lagging a bit in processor speed and some performance. I think there is more to it than that, the switch to dualcore and hyper threading threatened them and this may be a temperary measure to survive. On the other hand with the increase in processor speeds may bring them many new customers and if Apple is still apple (reliable) they should do very well. Took me a week to get over the anouncement and Ive never had an apple though I admired them (I almost bought an apple but there was a game and software issue.)

Basicly it boils down to waiting and seeing what happenes remember the intel chip id code days that was a total flop!

poofyhairguy
July 22nd, 2005, 04:14 AM
Basicly it boils down to waiting and seeing what happenes remember the intel chip id code days that was a total flop!

My greatest joy would be if Trusted Computing meets the same fate.

I like the fact that nerds are paranoid.

benplaut
July 22nd, 2005, 07:05 AM
truthfully, i'll just stick with whatever gives me the most bang, and the best compatability, for my $$$.

nice avatar, miscz :)

Mais
July 22nd, 2005, 07:07 AM
Exactly why I started this thread. I want to know where everyone feels this could be heading. Omnios brings up an interesting point that is also under debate in the video game next-gen console war. How much support for a home enertainment system will there be. Personally, I wish projects like Longhorn would get all their proposed features in that help to advance basic computing FIRST. I'd rather multimedia (DRM related or otherwise) come last.
(http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=14126)

GreyFox503
August 13th, 2005, 10:03 AM
I really hope at least one major company continues to make DRM-free chips. It seems like Intel is more gung-ho about it than AMD. If I remember correctly, Intel mobo chipsets in the very near future will have a "Trusted Platform Module" or something of that sort, a hardware-based DRM scheme, which would be harder to break.

My last proc was AMD simply because they gave me a lot more bang for my buck. I'll continue to stick with them, at least until this stuff is sorted out.

luca_linux
August 13th, 2005, 10:47 AM
I think AMD will implement DRM as Intel is doing because of its partnership with Microsoft.
Apple not only will use Intel processor with DRM, but even another protection system through a chip to avoid installing MacOSX on a normal PC.
I think AMD's processor architecture is more advanced than the Intel's, for example think about the integrated memory controller, AMD64 implemented a year before the Intel one, etc.

weasel fierce
August 13th, 2005, 04:28 PM
When I upgrade, I will definately go AMD. Just seems like nicer guys