PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way a computer can have a bult in modem?(not what it sounds like)

~~Tito~~
July 22nd, 2007, 09:06 AM
Instead of having to have a lan modem then connect that to the computer using a Ethernet it can just have a cable cord input so you don't have to buy anything just have have the isp service and a cable jack and cord and have a Ethernet input spot.

blueturtl
July 22nd, 2007, 09:21 AM
The only way I know that this would be possible is to have some kind of integrated solution in your appartment. I lived in a student house once that had internet connection for all inhabitants via a LAN. There was an ethernet socket on a wall in every room. All I needed to do was plug in my ethernet cable and I had working internet.

~~Tito~~
July 22nd, 2007, 09:46 AM
Oh, well it would be awesome if it was like that then all you would need to do is register the modem serial from your computer to your internet provider.

Warpnow
July 22nd, 2007, 09:58 AM
You could do it. Strip off a cable modem and build it into a PCI slot...

It could be done, just isn't, I don't think.

~~Tito~~
July 22nd, 2007, 10:06 AM
Oh, what about a wireless modem/router?

scxtt
July 22nd, 2007, 10:19 AM
i doubt you'd really want that ... 99% of the time people just "rent" the modem from their ISP and then that's one more thing they'd have to worry about being compatible w/ clients PCs ... not to mention most modems give off a bit of heat - i don't want that in my PC ...

you'd also need multiple modems for each PC then, at least in some sense ...

~~Tito~~
July 22nd, 2007, 10:29 AM
Oh, then make it removable and you can put it in a exterior shell and you have the capability to put it back and save space. Or it could have a fan similar to a gfx card's.

xpod
July 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
Oh, then make it removable and you can put it in a exterior shell and you have the capability to put it back and save space. Or it could have a fan similar to a gfx card's.

You must be using some big ole modem if your just concerned about space:wink:

I think i prefer my seperate modem there with it`s flashy blinky lights.At least then i just need to look at the thing to know wether any connection problem is with me or the isp.

On a recent gusty install i had weird problems with the network manager & firestarter but being the dopey bugger i am when it comes to computers i spent about an hour+ wondering why i could`nt get an Ip address.

I never even thought to just look at the bloody modems lights.](*,)....my bb connection had seemingly died at the exact same time i was setting things up

~~Tito~~
July 22nd, 2007, 10:45 AM
Lol, my modem is not old its like 2 years old and it is awesome. I knew about the light thing when I got my modem a while it was a com21 one from cox cable. I'm just asking if there is any please say if you know of something or a google search thing because when ever I try to search for something specific it goes far to general.

xpod
July 22nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
I dont know how it works elsewhere but personally i must use the modem supplied by my isp.

mips
July 22nd, 2007, 01:39 PM
Maybe you can get a PCMCIA/CardBus one ? Never seen one but you never know.