PDA

View Full Version : Ty I am now apart of you.. :) got my usb modem working thanks to a person here

nowshining
July 22nd, 2007, 09:02 AM
well found a thread from someone named Bartender and followed his instructions, :) yes I saved it from an ol' computer on my usb drive, well installed a package, gnome ppp and went into setup and clicked detect and now I am up and running... :) that's right I am posting this thread from Feisty 7.04 with my external dial- up modem... :) and yes in firefox, I now gotta go and look for a firewall for this baby..and it's works great, I am using the wobble and it does not my my dell 4600i slowdown :) yep I decided to try it out this time in full since XP finally got on my nerves with an install that only lasted about half a year maybe less... :)

Gannin
July 22nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
I'm glad you were able to find something to help you :).

If you'd like to install a software firewall, Firestarter is quite nice and easy to use.

Welcome to Ubuntu :).

mylinuxbookmarks
July 22nd, 2007, 12:21 PM
Congrats nowshining! :-)

I remember when I first got my 56K to work with linux.
It was a good feeling.
Wvdial was also a very helpful tool for me.

Have fun with Ubuntu! :)
Don't forget to experiment with the many other distros out there, it's a great hobby.

http://www.distrowatch.com

xpod
July 22nd, 2007, 12:55 PM
I'm glad you were able to find something to help you .

If you'd like to install a software firewall, Firestarter is quite nice and easy to u

iptables is actually your firewall, which is already installed by default.
Firestarter is only a GUI frontend for configuring iptables.......well,for making it easier anyway:)

Unless the user needs to open ports etc then theres absolutely no need for firestarter, Ubuntu has no open ports as standard so is completely safe.
I have no idea about configuring iptables myself mind you so i also use firestarter for allowing certain stuff when i need.

Adamant1988
July 22nd, 2007, 03:25 PM
Well, that's a disturbing title, anyway, welcome to the collective. Your t-shirt and uniform will be given to you shortly.

But, I'm glad you got some help :)

Gannin
July 22nd, 2007, 09:18 PM
iptables is actually your firewall, which is already installed by default.
Firestarter is only a GUI frontend for configuring iptables.......well,for making it easier anyway:)

Unless the user needs to open ports etc then theres absolutely no need for firestarter, Ubuntu has no open ports as standard so is completely safe.
I have no idea about configuring iptables myself mind you so i also use firestarter for allowing certain stuff when i need.

If you don't use Firestarter, all of your ports are indeed closed, but they show as closed on a port scan, and your computer is very much visible to the Internet, responding to ICMP pings etc.

If you install Firestarter, it puts your computer into stealth mode, so your ports show as not even existing, so for the most part your computer is no longer visible to port scanners and what-not on the Internet, plus you can tell Firestarter to drop all ICMP packets instead of responding to them.

nowshining
July 23rd, 2007, 05:22 AM
thanks you all for the help and support and I am using firestarter... :) it is easy..however I chose to go into defensive mode and whitelist...

again ty... all for your help..

I did however today get the plugins to play mp3s, Installed Wine, the plugin to read/write to my NTFS drive I have, and about an hour to this post finally got jpilot working (IIIxe) which is way better then evolution.. :)

and "Adamant1988" :P
The wonders a google search can do for you.. :) I am almost finished with the hard stuff, so it will become the time to just enjoy and customize my install...